South Africa tour of Sri Lanka

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably at the top. I saw a very very tiny bit of him at the end of his career so I'm going purely on others' accounts.

The two best I have seen regularly are Ambrose and Steyn, with McGrath just behind. I'd probably have those three plus Marshall and Lillee as a starting point for a top 5.
Marshall was better than Steyn by a clear margin. He was just so deadly accurate and scarily fast. Marshall was my favourite fast bowler as a kid. I used to mimick his action and I knew his test average off by heart.

Marshall was better than Steyn by a clear margin. He was just so deadly accurate and scarily fast. Marshall was my favourite fast bowler as a kid. I used to mimick his action and I knew his test average off by heart.

But isn't that exactly what makes Steyn so good? He was deadly accurate and scarily fast? I'm not saying you're wrong, but just for some perspective, dale steyn's strike rate is four balls better than Marshall's. That's significant when Marshall himself had an exceptional strike rate.

When you factor in run rates of of that era and the fact that the surfaces weren't probably as bland, I think the average/economy rate evens itself out a bit.

I don't have an issue with Marshall being rated the greatest, but I'm baffled as to how Steyn seemingly to this day still doesn't get the recognition that his career deserves.

The reason Rabada is so amazing is because of his strike rate - which was in the 30s last time I saw it. To give some perspective on that, the only guy close to him who has bowled a ball in the last 100 years (aside from Shane Bond who played 18 tests or so)? Dale Steyn.

They should still win this but this poor second dig can be traced back to the moronic shot played by Gunathilaka. Only the second day, in total control at 0/51 in the second, throws his wicket away slogging a spinner into the deep. Isn't he trying to cement his position? Completely stupid.

SA need to drop one bowler and bring in batsmen for the next match.

Turning into a disaster for SA. They showed a graphic earlier that showed how they had actually won more tests in the subcontinent than they'd lost (drawn roughly the same amount too) which is frankly f***ing amazing for a side that comes from the conditions they do.

But they look absolutely bereft of any idea how to not only play spin, but how to construct an innings against it.

I think you can blame the last trip to India for a lot of this.
Some times the battle is lost even before you step foot in the country.

Bit like with Sri Lanka touring here and even SA and England.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Karunaratne has been the difference in both innnings. Match winning performance.

Looks like at age 30 he is finally showing maturity and leadership.

Yep. 100 per cent.

The absence of AB doesn't make the confidence level any better.
Yep but the SAFFA's should have still smashed a rebuilding side that does't have its captain and coach.

Yep but the SAFFA's should have still smashed a rebuilding side that does't have its captain and coach.

Hmm in SA or neutral territory, perhaps. I wouldn't say 'should' in Sri Lanka. They've got the bowling attack to do it, not sure about the batting right now.
A lot of the current Sri Lankan players belted Australia when they had less experience than they do now. I know chandimal missing hurts but they're still a decent home side.

Hmm in SA or neutral territory, perhaps. I wouldn't say 'should' in Sri Lanka. They've got the bowling attack to do it, not sure about the batting right now.
A lot of the current Sri Lankan players belted Australia when they had less experience than they do now. I know chandimal missing hurts but they're still a decent home side.
Thats true but i would have never expected SA to fold like Aus do. SA are one of those sides that barely get flogged and always go into most games with a great chance of winning.

looks to be plenty of turn for day 1... Maharaj easily SA's best spinner since readmission unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?

SL's first 100 run partnership in home since 7 and half years ! SA finally got a breakthrough.

Adams had a fairly decent record for someone remembered only for HOW he delivered it but yes, Maharaj is class.
From memory Adams was successful for his first couple of tests and then batsmen realised he didn't have many tricks. The rest have all bowled darts, and Tahir was just no good in the longer form too many loose balls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back