South Africa v Australia, 1st Test @ Centurion, Feb 12-16 2014, 7.30pm EDT

What will be the result of the 1st Test?

• Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And considering how Watson has batted for the last 3 years

Last 7 Tests he's had a 68, 176, 51, 103, 83no, 43 and led our runs scorers in England, not that that was too hard. He's a worry when he bats but it's been pretty decent recently. As I said above, he will only play now if he can bowl, not as a batsman alone. Either way it's irrelevant as he's still limping around.

starting to see a few whispers of 'harris and siddle aren't any good because they're not taking many wickets lately.' how many can they take when one man takes 7?

as some of the commentators have alluded to, cricket has become gladiatorial again. i'm reluctant to heap extreme praise on johnson and the australians and talk about being world number 1, i think our batting should stop most people from becoming too complacent. what i do think could happen is other countries capable of it adopting a similar approach, ushering in a new era. it looks like we've just beaten them to it.

starting to see a few whispers of 'harris and siddle aren't any good because they're not taking many wickets lately.' how many can they take when one man takes 7?

as some of the commentators have alluded to, cricket has become gladiatorial again. i'm reluctant to heap extreme praise on johnson and the australians and talk about being world number 1, i think our batting should stop most people from becoming too complacent. what i do think could happen is other countries capable of it adopting a similar approach, ushering in a new era. it looks like we've just beaten them to it.

Siddle and Harris' averages remain top notch.

My only gripe with siddle is he is 10kms down on his pace when he used to be our only bowler.

If he could be back bowling in the 140s - the attack would be relentless.

I wouldn't be bringing Watson back in at this stage. Doolan and Marsh have doing well and Rogers still has some credits in the bank (and I am not a Watson hater).

Siddle and Harris are doing their jobs. Agree there are not many wickets left to be shared around when one bowler is taking 7!

You can't expect everyone in a team to be in top form all at once either.

Despite the influence of MJ,Smith is blinded by the fact that 3 Australians scored centurys,while nothing from the Jappies.

Smith is a highly overated captain.
Just because he didn't mention that doesn't mean he's going to ignore it. A good captain is not going to say his team was crap to the whole public.

Oh, and lets forget his awesome record as captain because he had one lose.

Read some heinous comments from G.Smith this morning, about Johnson taking, "a lot of lower-order wickets."
Blow out your ass flog. What a load of bollocks. 8 of Johnson's 12 wickets were proper batsman. Deluded flog is clearly just bitter at getting out twice to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bloke I was playing in tennis just before the first test was saying how he reckoned Mitch was gonna perform s**t in south Africa, citing his solitary wicket in the ODI's and the fact he's "never strung two series together before". Two tests to go yet, but I'd say there's a bit of egg on his face now.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

BgpXppZCIAARoeR.png

Read some heinous comments from G.Smith this morning, about Johnson taking, "a lot of lower-order wickets."
Blow out your ass flog. What a load of bollocks. 8 of Johnson's 12 wickets were proper batsman. Deluded flog is clearly just bitter at getting out twice to him.

I think he was referring to the ashes series.

Even then 22 of his 37 wickets were batsmen from 1-7 so he wasn't really just cashing in on the tail to bolster his figures as Smith was implying

In any case, in the past our inability to wrap up the tail was a problem and we lost our grip on games as a result and Englands inability to take late order wickets was a huge factor in our ashes success.

Smith is just trying to paint Johnson's performance at Centurion as a one off and not an indication of what is to come. No doubt priavtely they'll be concerned about how devastatiingly effective he was

even if he was only getting tail end wickets (which he wasn't) he was getting them at about 4 a piece.

That's not really something to be criticising anyone about

And considering how Watson has batted for the last 3 years

Watson has the right to be in the team over SOS as Marsh is his replacement due to injury and stats wise his recent form has been good. But they'd want him to be able to bowl as otherwise you can't really say he's fully fit.

And Boof does like an extra bowler in the team. You'd want that security due to Harris.

Watson has the right to be in the team over SOS as Marsh is his replacement due to injury and stats wise his recent form has been good. But they'd want him to be able to bowl as otherwise you can't really say he's fully fit.

And Boof does like an extra bowler in the team. You'd want that security due to Harris.
Watson barely had the right to be in the side before. He can barely be relied on to bowl 7-10 overs an innings, and his batting was never that good, even when it was ok. He's not good enough to be in solely as a batsman. One century every 25 innings needs to be backed up with a sufficient output of bowling.

Watson barely had the right to be in the side before. He can barely be relied on to bowl 7-10 overs an innings, and his batting was never that good, even when it was ok. He's not good enough to be in solely as a batsman. One century every 25 innings needs to be backed up with a sufficient output of bowling.

Last 7 Tests, 6 of them have involved scores of 68, 176, 51, 103, 83no, 43 with good back-up bowling. As another said, you need that back-up, especially with Harris in the side. Despite that wouldn't pick him him ahead of on of our top 6 purely as a batsman but the man in strife once he's bowling is Rogers. Watson's best cricket for Australia has been as an opener. Averages 43 there, and has an abundance of half centuries in his 26 Tests there, including quite a few 90s (who can remember us chuckling a few years ago when he kept going out in the 90's) to go with his two centuries there. Rogers would be stiff but he's doesn't bowl.

Haha, so by your definition we should be behind one more first innings to prove we aren't front runners :rolleyes:
You can fight back before the end of the second innings you know.
But the definition of Front running is to be infront. You can't be infront if the other team hasn't batted yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back