South Africa v Australia; Second Test at St George's Park, Port Elizabeth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, bowlers do it tough. But if they bowl a bad ball, they can rectify it.

Batsmen don't get that luxury. One mistake and they are gone. It's a pretty devastating moment generally for a batsman, and the last thing you need is the bowler in your face and/or personal space when it occurs.

I've never liked it. One day a batsman will lose his s**t over it and that alone is good enough reason to eliminate the practice.

I don't expect bowlers to act like "mild mannered angels", but there is plenty of scope for bowlers to celebrate a wicket while also steering clear of the batsman.

There is no need for bowlers to get in a batsman's face after dismissing them, they look like dicks when they do it, not sure it's worth a suspension though unless they do something really bad like make contact or use abusive language.

Lol. Was just putting together a photo power point for my wife’s 40th and found some interesting pics in my thumb drive. I must have had a Starc related debate before - there were half a dozen different photos of him giving the batsman a serve.

Sounds like a typical Starc over

Look, I know you are arguing for the sake of it. So I will leave you with this thought.

Next time you see a bowler take a wicket, take note of how much available space the bowler has to celebrate - "with emotion" - without encroaching on the space of the batsman he has just dismissed.

Actually, here is an instructional video for you to save you the trouble. Courtesy of Bruce Yardley. You're welcome.

Played cricket with Roo Yardley and he could give a good send off in the right circumstances so showing me one of his wickets proves nothing. Absolute character and great guy but you know nothing about him. You are being a try hard for the sake of it. Try again Sherb's. This one fell short.
What has been forgotten in all of this is the rotten image being left ( esp NSW kids under 9) by our so called cricket heroes on the children
How Sad!

Why are send offs bad behaviour though? You look foolish IMO giving someone a send off if you take a wicket when its 1-400. Its part of the theatre of the contest for mine. When Australia was up in the first test Lyon and Warner gave it out and in the second Rabada gave it back. As long you don't sook about afterwards (like the sledging) when it doesn't go your way I'm all for it

Why are they bad behaviour? Are you serious?

Running at a player and screaming in his face is clearly bad behaviour. I cannot believe you actually asked that question.

Come on mate, a good send off has been a part of cricket for as long as I've watched it

Still s**t, serving it up to a bloke who has no right of reply

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are they bad behaviour? Are you serious?

Running at a player and screaming in his face is clearly bad behaviour. I cannot believe you actually asked that question.
So how come Warner didn’t get pinged for his running and screaming at Markram - if he got pinged for that it would have been another demerit point and 1 test ban

Rabada probably deserved the ban, but still would have preferred him to play.

This series is shaping up to be as special as the last SA series and I would have preferred everyone’s best available to be in the squad. Morkel’s on the brink of retirement and Steyn is broken so there’s probably a good chance for the Aussies to get the upper hand - would’ve been better to do it with the no 1 test bowler in the world still in the squad.

Why are send offs bad behaviour though?

It is, or at least it used to be, accepted that if you have anything to say to a batsman, do it whilst he's still at the crease. That way he has a chance to belt the hell out of your bowling. It's generally accepted that giving a batsman lip service after he's been dismissed is akin to cowardice. What would the game look like if a batsman was dismissed, the bowler gives an almighty send off and the batsman decides to respond to the bowler?

I'm not sure what level of cricket you've played, but the best time not to talk to a batsman is just after he's been dismissed. I've had my head bitten off by a batsman for merely asking him whether he was caught or LBW. Batsmen can be rather nasty pieces of work straight after they've been dismissed, and the very last thing they need is the bowler screaming in his face and making physical contact with him.

It's simply not a good idea, no matter what the motivation. It could become volatile very quickly, and that's something we don't need.

So how come Warner didn’t get pinged for his running and screaming at Markram - if he got pinged for that it would have been another demerit point and 1 test ban

Many people are suggesting he should have been, myself included. I'm not anti-Warner, nor am I anti-Rabada, I just deplore that kind of behaviour on the cricket field.

Looking at that photo, Warner wasn't giving anybody a send off. That might explain why he didn't get pinged for doing a send off.

That was the first test? Lyon got pinged for dropping the ball near ADDV. Warner had words to the bloke who ran him out but theres no rules against sledging somebody. There are rules against screaming in somebody's face though. You're reaching here.

Hardly random outside the context of the argument of whether or not Starc does the same thing Rabada does.

Neither my post nor the one I quoted referenced Rabada

Remove this Banner Ad

Back