South Africa v Australia; Third Test at Newlands, Cape Town

Remove this Banner Ad

And having specially made cricket whites with a zipper and then using the zipper on the ball isn't an organised plan?
They took advantage of the fact the zipper was on the pants. Thats just pie in the sky stuff to think they specifically made cricket pants with a specially designed zipper so they can conduct ball tampering. Show me an article of them admitting to these specially made pants and I'll acknowledge your point.

Im sure I could dig up my old cricket whites and find zippers on those pants.

No you're just trying to pick a fight as per usual.

Im well aware of the punishments for those incidents you have raised. For the record, an organised plan to cheat instigated by the leadership group and the coach in my opinion exceeds all of those cases you raised (if proven that this has occurred in that way).

Theres a big difference to a guy digging his finger nails in, or biting a ball, or even rubbing a mint on the ball compared to the actions of a coach on a walkie talkie, and an object in a players pocket - bottle cap or sand paper.
Is this denial, or diversion by you?
Those were all real cases.

And having specially made cricket whites with a zipper and then using the zipper on the ball isn't an organised plan?

Seems likely to be more congruent with spontaneity than this situation. Bringing a foreign object onto the field as opposed to an accessory common on a uniform just doesn't look good does it?

Here is some precedence the ICC and CA can work on:

Philander 2014, 75 percent of his match fee.

Atherton, $3700 fine.

Afridi, suspended for two 20/20 games.

Du Plessis 2013 AND 2016, 50 percent match fee and a 5 run penalty (2013).
Full match fee, 3 demerit points (2016).

Plus numerous other cases.

Going by the precedent set in these cases, a one match penalty and a small fine should just about do it......
i expect that this is the sort of sanction Bancroft can expect from the ICC.

i hope Cricket Australia show some leadership and integrity and hand out more appropriate punishments of their own.

Not all - they were all ball tampering. 100%

There are varying degrees of it you know..
I think that both sides need reminding that few countries play cricket seriously, this brings the game into repute I think the problem stems from the big ipl salaries causing egos to be more enormous than previous playing eras. A solution could be to have a compulsory new ball after 50 overs.

i hope Cricket Australia show some leadership and integrity and hand out more appropriate punishments of their own.
Just like the SA Cricket Board did to FAF on BOTH OCCASIONS?
Lol......

Oh what rubbish. Of course there are varying degrees. A player randomly biting a ball/picking at a seam vs an organised plan to cheat hatched by the leadership group.
Your statement is rubbish.

Faf didn't plan with the leadership group to cheat TWICE?? (Well only charged twice, probably did it for years)
Is that a varying degree......

If your team cheat's at cricket, good on them. I wouldn't be proud of that.

That's irrelevant. He knows he's not allowed to do it, but still chose to.

Of course he's been previously charged with ball tampering also, scratching the ball with a sharp object in his pocket. So no sympathy here.

He knows better, and he is a cheat, end of story.

Hope he cops a heavy penalty too to make an example of him.

Faf is a very ordinary leader, what with ball tampering himself of course......

LOL. Could go on for hours.. plenty more zingers where they came from.

roscreasl98 said:
Going by the precedent set in these cases, a one match penalty and a small fine should just about do it......

Which is it mate.. heavy penalty or small fine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people are so quick to ridicule other boards for their ‘punishments’ of their players, why are they not actually looking to their own board to set a standard and take a tougher stance?
You obviously haven't read many of the posts on this matter to jump to a conclusion like that.

Just like the SA Cricket Board did to FAF on BOTH OCCASIONS?
Lol......
i'm not concerned with the actions of the SA Cricket Board.
i'm an Aussie and i care about the conduct of the Australian cricket team and Cricket Australia.

I still don't understand why we should be the only team that ignores the icc and hands out its own punishments for in game issues, do you think sa should have ignored the icc and suspended rabada so they could send a message?

Leadership is a different issue of course, ca can sack the skipper for his actions but if Smith is banned from matches it should be through the same icc process everybody else uses.

Seems likely to be more congruent with spontaneity than this situation. Bringing a foreign object onto the field as opposed to an accessory common on a uniform just doesn't look good does it?

Don't get me wrong I think Lehmann and Smith should be immediately stood down and Warner as well. Smith and Warner to serve a suspension of this match and at least the next test series and never be brought back into a leadership position again.

This is something CA should do as opposed to the ICC.

Bancroft should take whatever suspension the ICC gives and also not be considered for leadership positions.

Paine to take over as interim Captain.

If people are so quick to ridicule other boards for their ‘punishments’ of their players, why are they not actually looking to their own board to set a standard and take a tougher stance?

The overwhelming majority of people here are calling for bans. Even people here who are defending the players to some extent are only doing so in arguing against life time bans.

I think faf needed to control Rabada better but the punishment process was still handled the right way, in game issues the icc handles but if Rabada did something outside a test series his own board handles it.

Cricket sa could have punished faf for not controlling his players by taking away his leadership just as ca could and might take away Smith's but actual match bans for in game issues should be handled by the icc.

Wonder if admitting that it was a leadership decision was the right way to go. Seems admirable but makes the situation look so much worse. It’s not like Australian cricketers in the past haven’t lied/fed a bs story - see Warne, Waugh - but ultimately it was never officially proven they cheated or consciously did something against the spirit of the game. Seems like a more favorable outcome and i’m sure the approach was discussed before Smith and Bancroft fronted the presser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back