South Africa v Australia; Third Test at Newlands, Cape Town

Remove this Banner Ad

I think faf needed to control Rabada better but the punishment process was still handled the right way, in game issues the icc handles but if Rabada did something outside a test series his own board handles it.

Cricket sa could have punished faf for not controlling his players by taking away his leadership just as ca could and might take away Smith's but actual match bans for in game issues should be handled by the icc.

Sorry but imagine, hypothetically, if Bancroft decided entirely of his own volition, to tamper with the ball. Would smith be the man to blame and suspend? So I don’t see why Du Plessis would get punished on rabada’s behalf

Wonder if admitting that it was a leadership decision was the right way to go. Seems admirable but makes the situation look so much worse. It’s not like Australian cricketers in the past haven’t lied/fed a bs story - see Warne, Waugh - but ultimately it was never officially proven they cheated or consciously did something against the spirit of the game. Seems like a more favorable outcome and i’m sure the approach was discussed before Smith and Bancroft fronted the presser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn't another skipper in the game who would have taken this path. If Smith was going to handle it like this he might as well have done a faf and just done the ball tampering himself.

Wonder if admitting that it was a leadership decision was the right way to go. Seems admirable but makes the situation look so much worse. It’s not like Australian cricketers in the past haven’t lied/fed a bs story - see Warne, Waugh - but ultimately it was never officially proven they cheated or consciously did something against the spirit of the game. Seems like a more favorable outcome and i’m sure the approach was discussed before Smith and Bancroft fronted the presser.

For the sake of Australian cricket? Yes, because it's indicitive of other, worse cultural problems that have been swept under the carpet by CA, the media and the public. This can be the thing that forces them to make sweeping changes to the entire culture, from the top down (or, rather, from the bottom up, as the grassroots is where these things begin).

For the sake of Australia's reputation? No, but who cares? Most of the world is too far gone down the path of loathing Australia anyway.

In the long run, for the good of Australian cricket it was the first right thing they did.

In terms of trying to weasel out of it though, making Bancroft taking the one test ban would have been the way to go.

Sorry but imagine, hypothetically, if Bancroft decided entirely of his own volition, to tamper with the ball. Would smith be the man to blame and suspend? So I don’t see why Du Plessis would get punished on rabada’s behalf

Faf has said multiple times he has no issue with Rabada and his antics so if his board was unhappy with him then constantly getting in trouble the skipper could be punished for poor leadership, punished as in have his leadership questioned or taken away not actually banned from playing.

Ca have every right to sack Smith for poor leadership but bans for in game conduct are what the match referee is there for, no other team goes above their heads why should we?

Nobody would have bought it if he claimed ignorance from the rest of the team. The video evidence shows otherwise. He had no choice but to own up really

Faf has said multiple times he has no issue with Rabada and his antics so if his board was unhappy with him then constantly getting in trouble the skipper could be punished for poor leadership, punished as in have his leadership questioned or taken away not actually banned from playing.

Ca have every right to sack Smith for poor leadership but bans for in game conduct are what the match referee is there for, no other team goes above their heads why should we?

A) he’s never said as far as I’m aware that he wants Rabada to make physical contact with opponents
B) having no problem with something, even if it were true, is slightly different than sitting around planning to cheat. The comparison, from a poster who generally displays a good feel for the game, is frankly f***ing laughable.

You criticise the SA boards conduct yet want CA to stoop to their level?

So, all the other players I quoted were also either Captains or senior players.

How many times had they done it without being caught?
How do you know they weren't pre planned?
Who was involved off field, eg. managers and coaches?
Faf has 2 convictions now, so his offences were obviously pre planned?

You can't answer any of these questions beyond reasonable doubt?????
Just about everybody, regardless of their stance, is forgetting three major things here. One: Believe it or not, cheating is everywhere, in every sport (including whatever team you like). Two: Athletes cheat because they think the fans demand it. (They're wrong) Three: Don't get caught! Smith and co were incredibly dumb with this, obviously "Faf" is better at doing it than team Smith and "Boofhead"? Cheating is a regular occurrence in major sports, none more so than in America recently with football hero Tom Brady and "Deflategate", he was slapped on the wrist and suspended for only four games. "Brady doesn't cheat because he's too good" was the outcry. WTF? This is not America, we all know about the sporting scandals littered throughout the past hundred years of American sporting skulduggery. It's a long list. Baseball for example is nothing but juiced-up mutants in red against juiced-up mutants in pinstripes and the crowd goes wild! We take greater sporting pride here in OZ, or at least i thought we did. We've had our moments of madness in horse racing and more recently the Essendon saga, but this is a pre meditated plan to alter the game ball and the Captain of the team admits to it! We want athletes to always win and always be the best, and we complain loudly when they're not. Fans love winners, but you won't hear Aussie sporting fans screaming from the outer "C'MON YOU BASTARDS, CHEAT HARDER!"... What Smith has forgotten completely is honour, integrity, and preserving the purity of the game means a lot more to the fans of cricket than any Win/Loss record or IPL contract! (Which by the way should all be torn up ) Only lengthy suspensions handed out to all those involved will help cleanse this stain on Australian sport. Steve Smith will be a lonely man upon his return to OZ this coming week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A) he’s never said as far as I’m aware that he wants Rabada to make physical contact with opponents
B) having no problem with something, even if it were true, is slightly different than sitting around planning to cheat. The comparison, from a poster who generally displays a good feel for the game, is frankly f***ing laughable.

What Smith did is clearly worse and much more likely to result in losing his captaincy, you seem to be ignoring what my point wa though and that is the boards decide who leads the team based on poor or good leadership the icc decide on in game bans for in game actions.

Why should only one team hand out its own punishments for in game issues while other sides let the icc decide?

Smith could be sacked as skipper and that's fair enough, Smith could be charged by the icc for his in game actions and that's fair enough so I'm really not sure why people would have an issue with it being handled like that when your side and every side handles it like that.

Just about everybody, regardless of their stance, is forgetting three major things here. One: Believe it or not, cheating is everywhere, in every sport (including whatever team you like). Two: Athletes cheat because they think the fans demand it. (They're wrong) Three: Don't get caught! Smith and co were incredibly dumb with this, obviously "Faf" is better at doing it than team Smith and "Boofhead"? Cheating is a regular occurrence in major sports, none more so than in America recently with football hero Tom Brady and "Deflategate", he was slapped on the wrist and suspended for only four games. "Brady doesn't cheat because he's too good" was the outcry. WTF? This is not America, we all know about the sporting scandals littered throughout the past hundred years of American sporting skulduggery. It's a long list. Baseball for example is nothing but juiced-up mutants in red against juiced-up mutants in pinstripes and the crowd goes wild! We take greater sporting pride here in OZ, or at least i thought we did. We've had our moments of madness in horse racing and more recently the Essendon saga, but this is a pre meditated plan to alter the game ball and the Captain of the team admits to it! We want athletes to always win and always be the best, and we complain loudly when they're not. Fans love winners, but you won't hear Aussie sporting fans screaming from the outer "C'MON YOU BASTARDS, CHEAT HARDER!"... What Smith has forgotten completely is honour, integrity, and preserving the purity of the game means a lot more to the fans of cricket than any Win/Loss record or IPL contract! (Which by the way should all be torn up ) Only lengthy suspensions handed out to all those involved will help cleanse this stain on Australian sport. Steve Smith will be a lonely man upon his return to OZ this coming week.
Hang on.
The ICC have had numerous chances to send a message with lengthy suspensions, and chose not to.

Example being Fafs' 2 convictions, and lettuce leaf type penalties.

You criticise the SA boards conduct yet want CA to stoop to their level?

I said if sa wanted to they have a right to remove their skipper for poor leadership they certainly don't have to but that's the way they could handle it, they don't have a right to go over the icc and suspend faf for ball tampering or Rabada for what he did the icc made the call as they should for these in game issues.

For the sake of Australian cricket? Yes, because it's indicitive of other, worse cultural problems that have been swept under the carpet by CA, the media and the public. This can be the thing that forces them to make sweeping changes to the entire culture, from the top down (or, rather, from the bottom up, as the grassroots is where these things begin).

For the sake of Australia's reputation? No, but who cares? Most of the world is too far gone down the path of loathing Australia anyway.

I guess we will see in time how much of a flashpoint this event really becomes. If this doesn’t result in those sweeping changes then all the admission would have done (or has done already) is ruin reputations.

Several Aussie players and the coach will deservedly cop a very stiff penalty for cheating. However it’s pretty rich Michael Vaughan weighing in with his sanctimonious tweets. After all it was under his captaincy that the Poms indulged in systematic cheating in 2005 they applied the saliva from mints to cause the ball to reverse swing. Vaughan gets 3 stars for gross hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Your depiction of Baseball ( one of the World's truly great games) is incorrect. The "steroid" era is gone in baseball and it has cleaned up it's act in the last decade. They had a spit ball era around 100 years ago. These days a ball only stays in a game for a couple of pitches at most. To say we take greater sporting pride than Americans is really nonsense. All sportsman look for an edge ..sometimes this is skill based and other times psychological and some times it is cheating. Smith and co. looked to cheat interesting to see what the consequences will be.

Several Aussie players and the coach will deservedly cop a very stiff penalty for cheating. However it’s pretty rich Michael Vaughan weighing in with his sanctimonious tweets. After all it was under his captaincy that the Poms indulged in systematic cheating in 2005/2006 when they applied the saliva from mints to cause the ball to reverse swing. Vaughan gets 3 stars for gross hypocrisy.
It's Michael Vaughan. Never misses an opportunity to put the boot into the Aussies.

You can see on the footage that Rod Marsh wasn't too keen on the idea.

I wish that he had have run around in front of the batsman and taken the ball, thus conceding a no ball in the process

Couple of hours till the start of play on day 4. Tipping it will all be over today, Australians wouldn’t have got much sleep last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back