South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just point the facts he made some runs in the first 2 Test matches, unlike Starc who only contributed in the 1st out of 4 Tests and Lyon who didn't contributed all series when he had the chance to bowl on day 5 at the SCG and Brisbane and failed.

I don't think we need to have this debate again, but for the record, Starc generally bowls well except against India. India is sort of his bogey team in a way. Rahane has been stinking up the shop against all teams in the past 2 years.

Ohitsthatguy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has there been a bigger series upset in the last 10? 15 years?

God knows what’s going on behind the scenes with India, they’ve been genuinely embarrassed.
Not an upset at all, was always going to be a close series.

Yeah, SA have lost some batting but their bowling stocks have always been top notch. If Rabada fires (as he did) he can run through any side

And now they've discovered a brilliant young left-armer? And Ngidi who is also a gun?

Who needs batting when your bowling attack is so good

Also proves Nortje is overrated

ABAB

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think we need to have this debate again, but for the record, Starc generally bowls well except against India. India is sort of his bogey team in a way. Rahane has been stinking up the shop against all teams in the past 2 years.
He bowled very well in the 2018 series except at the SCG where he does perform poorly but the pitch was a road and India won the toss and batted to 600+ with the game ending in a draw despite our poor batting line up without Smith and Warner.

1642161416647.png

Nuggetz

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Well done to the saffas, clearly the better team throughout the series in all facets of the game. South Africa improved in each test while India regressed. Lots of learnings for this Indian team and not a good start for their new coach, Rahul Dravid. Biggest positive of this series has clearly been South Africa finding a good batsmen in Keegan Petersen, I hope he can continue this form and develop into a world class batter.

ABAB

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yeah, SA have lost some batting but their bowling stocks have always been top notch. If Rabada fires (as he did) he can run through any side

And now they've discovered a brilliant young left-armer? And Ngidi who is also a gun?

India started favourite to win the series (even Kohli said this in his post match interview), especially after De Kock shock retirement after the 1st Test which India easily won.

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Has there been a bigger series upset in the last 10? 15 years?

God knows what’s going on behind the scenes with India, they’ve been genuinely embarrassed.
Sri Lanka winning in South Africa a couple of years ago will take a lot of beating for all time series upsets let alone the last 15 years

Ohitsthatguy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
India started favourite to win the series (even Kohli said this in his post match interview), especially after De Kock shock retirement after the 1st Test which India easily won.
It's really not a huge upset, they've never beaten SA in a series in SA.

Bangladesh beating NZ in NZ... that's a huge upset.

India failing to win a series in SA is not a huge upset.

ABAB

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's really not a huge upset, they've never beaten SA in a series in SA.

Bangladesh beating NZ in NZ... that's a huge upset.

India failing to win a series in SA is not a huge upset.
Definitely an upset but not consider a "massive" upset. Bangladesh only won a Test in NZ not a series.

Nuggetz

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
India need to move on from Pujara, Rahane and Aggarwal. I don't think Umesh Yadav should've played this test either. We have players but they need opportunity. A side I'd like to see moving forward is something similar to this:

1. Rohit
2. KL
3. Gill
4. Kohli
5. Iyer
6. Pant
7. Jaddu/Ashwin
8. Thakur
9. Shami
10. Bumrah
11. Siraj/Sharma

Mayank has failed outside of India, time to move on. Rohit is a good opener, albeit old. KL/Gill are our future and I like them in the top order for team balance. Iyer is suited to the middle order. Depending on conditions I would play 2 of Jaddu/Ashwin/Thakur, only in India would I play all 3 with Thakur being the 3rd seamer. Shami/Bumrah are our best 2 bowling options and a lethal combination. Siraj/Sharma should battle for 3rd seamer spot in most conditions.

Zach Package

HOBBGOBLIN
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, Heat

I must admit I didn’t think it would be close at all. Then they god flogged in the first test and QDK retires and it’s lazarus stuff from there. As good as their attack is (and I agree Nortje isn’t a great loss) their batting looked so bad on paper I kinda just expected them to get rolled every time unless Elgar carried his bat or Markram played a worldie.

Sri Lanka winning in South Africa a couple of years ago will take a lot of beating for all time series upsets let alone the last 15 years

Good call 👍🏻 forgot about that one

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Elgar is an impressive SA captain, he's no Graeme Smith but he's the next best thing.

Both are better than Hansie Cronje, they aren't chucking games and have restored respect for the Proteas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuggetz

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Definitely an upset but not consider a "massive" upset. Bangladesh only won a Test in NZ not a series.

On paper India should've won because of their batting line up BUT that batting line up hasn't been performing too well. Especially with Rahane included, missing Rohit and Gill. South Africa pace attack has been lethal, all 4 pacers have been great. India, especially this test was found wanting with their 3rd seamer in Umesh who was far too expensive.

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you were to look at this through India eyes, this series has ended all square. India won a test, South Africa won a test and SuperSport won a test. Well done South Africa for coming from 1-0 down to win the series after a rare and disappointing loss at Centurion. Their pace bowlers have been impressive with Marco Jansen a real find. Despite their batting being their weakness, they came good with the bat in the 4th innings of the last two tests to win them both pretty comfortably.

Sphynx

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Elgar is an impressive SA captain, he's no Graeme Smith but he's the next best thing.

Both are better than Hansie Cronje, they aren't chucking games and have restored respect for the Proteas.

lol, I don’t think it took them this series to get over Cronje….

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

That was the one which came to mind for me too.

Regardless how each side has been going, it’s hard to win away against most sides.

Stig O'Hara

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
If you were to look at this through India eyes, this series has ended all square. India won a test, South Africa won a test and SuperSport won a test. Well done South Africa for coming from 1-0 down to win the series after a rare and disappointing loss at Centurion. Their pace bowlers have been impressive with Marco Jansen a real find. Despite their batting being their weakness, they came good with the bat in the 4th innings of the last two tests to win them both pretty comfortably.

Pujara can’t catch.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
India need to move on from Pujara, Rahane and Aggarwal. I don't think Umesh Yadav should've played this test either. We have players but they need opportunity. A side I'd like to see moving forward is something similar to this:

1. Rohit
2. KL
3. Gill
4. Kohli
5. Iyer
6. Pant
7. Jaddu/Ashwin
8. Thakur
9. Shami
10. Bumrah
11. Siraj/Sharma

Mayank has failed outside of India, time to move on. Rohit is a good opener, albeit old. KL/Gill are our future and I like them in the top order for team balance. Iyer is suited to the middle order. Depending on conditions I would play 2 of Jaddu/Ashwin/Thakur, only in India would I play all 3 with Thakur being the 3rd seamer. Shami/Bumrah are our best 2 bowling options and a lethal combination. Siraj/Sharma should battle for 3rd seamer spot in most conditions.

Iyer won't succeed outside asia. Will have Vihari ahead of Iyer. Rest the same.

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
West Indies beating England was the other one that came to mind for me. Granted, they were at home, and England have been pretty average since there.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Just saw Polly, he's going a bit spare on top, got to chat to him when SA were playing in a warm up game at UWA for the Aus v SA series in 2005/06, great bloke.

NYRB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Perth Glory, Wildcats
ive seen that Virat Kohli rant, i know it might sound like sour grapes, but those decisions where its iffy, im happy for the on field call to stand. The ball was shown to bounce higher- and ive thought about this the other day, why not get the 3rd umpire to decide just based on replay alone? give him at least 3 looks or have a best of 3 decision with the umps (2 on field and 1 as 3rd umpire) involved. I dont think technology can conclude that bounced higher over the wicket.

something didnt seem right looking at that on replay, and i actually thought it was out looking at 1st time.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Just pointing the facts he made some runs in the first 2 Test matches, unlike Starc who only contributed in the 1st out of 4 Tests and Lyon who didn't contributed all series when he had the chance to bowl on day 5 at the SCG and Brisbane and failed.
Lyon's weird as far as spinners go. If you look at his career stats, you'll find he's more likely to take a wicket on days 1 and 2 or in conditions that don't suit a traditional spinner, but less likely to take a wicket on day 5. He - essentially - averages better on days 1,2, and 3 than he does on day 4-5.

The question I've got for you: do you prefer having him take wickets while the quicks are at their best - ie, he helps us build first innings dominance - or would you take him being genuinely anemic in the first dig if it meant he was Graeme Swann in the fourth innings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad