South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
ive seen that Virat Kohli rant, i know it might sound like sour grapes, but those decisions where its iffy, im happy for the on field call to stand. The ball was shown to bounce higher- and ive thought about this the other day, why not get the 3rd umpire to decide just based on replay alone? give him at least 3 looks or have a best of 3 decision with the umps (2 on field and 1 as 3rd umpire) involved. I dont think technology can conclude that bounced higher over the wicket.

something didnt seem right looking at that on replay, and i actually thought it was out looking at 1st time.
Hawkeye's dodgier than the Australian parliament, and Kohli's just exposed something that's been sitting at the heart of SA cricket for a long time.

More power to him.

Ohitsthatguy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hawkeye's dodgier than the Australian parliament, and Kohli's just exposed something that's been sitting at the heart of SA cricket for a long time.

More power to him.
Woh, you ok bro?

Except on current talent, India was the favourite.

Rabada, Ngidi, Jansen all average low 20s in bowling

I rate India's bowling attack but they can't compete with that

Trojan90

Team Captain
May 7, 2012
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
West Indies beating England was the other one that came to mind for me. Granted, they were at home, and England have been pretty average since there.

Yeah this came to my mind too.

Also Sri Lanka beating England in England in 2014. SL still has Sanga and Mahela and England were post (KP, Trott, Swann). Only 2 test series but still not an easy job.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Woh, you ok bro?
... I suppose that depends. I've got Covid at the moment, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Do you think Hawkeye's predictions are satisfactorily accurate? Do you think South Africa's approach to total opposition at home is entirely appropriate?

Sea fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
BTW, Petersen was pretty good but thought that Jansen with 19 wickets in his very first series at 16 may have been the biggest factor. He's 206cm.

NYRB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Perth Glory, Wildcats

More power to him.
Very true- Kohli seemed to putting the blame on Super Sports coverage. And knowing those guys and listening to their commentary- they seemed as 1 eyed supporter as one can be.

Im thinking anyway maybe we might need to revisit the height of deliveries for LBWs? Allahudien Paleker happen to be the 3rd umpire - from South Africa. Whilst I dont blame him , maybe Super Sport or whoever provides the technology needs to have a relook into their product. Im not sure if the technology in South Africa is the same compared to Australia/England.

Ohitsthatguy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
... I suppose that depends. I've got Covid at the moment, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Do you think Hawkeye's predictions are satisfactorily accurate? Do you think South Africa's approach to total opposition at home is entirely appropriate?
sh*t, get well soon

But I mean, isn't hawkeye like an independent body... its like accusing our channel 7 of cheating

I mean... fu** Kerry Stokes but still lol

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Very true- Kohli seemed to putting the blame on Super Sports coverage. And knowing those guys and listening to their commentary- they seemed as 1 eyed supporter as one can be.

Im thinking anyway maybe we might need to revisit the height of deliveries for LBWs? Allahudien Paleker happen to be the 3rd umpire - from South Africa. Whilst I dont blame him , maybe Super Sport or whoever provides the technology needs to have a relook into their product. Im not sure if the technology in South Africa is the same compared to Australia/England.
I genuinely do not thing it's that deep.

I see them as two distinct arguments. Essentially, Hawkeye's not up to it as a predictive technology due to the margin of error depicted with 'umpire's call' and SA's parochialism of coverage and support ensure that hostility during play is the least that can be expected.

NYRB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Perth Glory, Wildcats

Ive been really a strong advocate for technology and DRS in the game.

Maybe we need to revert back to the 1 Review per 80 overs or so in test matches. Save them for the absolute howlers.

LBW decisions can never be 100% accurate due to the variable bounce on different surfaces on the wicket- which affects the height on impact. It also can't be 100% sure on the leg stump and off stump for those decisions. A cricket wicket has cracks, variable bounce, balls are tracking at slightly different angles, speeds , differing wind conditions etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Shaun Pollock was an underrated all rounder.

I was there that day, SA v NZ, that was when ODIs used to attract a crowd.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
sh*t, get well soon

But I mean, isn't hawkeye like an independent body... its like accusing our channel 7 of cheating

I mean... fu** Kerry Stokes but still lol
Ashwin's a douche - hilariously so - and he'll get suspended, but I genuinely get the impression that Kohli fully believes in cricket the Australian way. He's committed to 'hard, but fair', and tries to get his team playing to the line without crossing it wherever he can. He asked the crowd not to boo Smith and Warner in England during the world cup; he's never been anything other than complementary towards us as a country and as a team. Look at Rahane's gift of a signed jumper to Nathan Lyon for his 100th test; there's respect there.

As I said above, I see it as two things, Hawkeye and the TV coverage. Hawkeye is a flawed technology, that advantages some countries (which produce shorter bowlers) over others, and the TV coverage actively watched the ball around our infield looking for balltampering because they didn't like that Faf got caught on their last tour on camera. Cricket SA officials backgrounded the SA public on Candice Warner, and distributed Sonny Bill Williams masks. Their crowds jeered, and continue to jeer, content in their supposed moral righteousness (as, I suppose, in the same way we were until Bancroft took Sandpaper out onto Newlands).

I've got all the time in the world for Kohli, and I've been more than insistent that the umpire should be the arbiter of whether or not the ball would hit the stumps in an LBW review (you would only be able to review for hitting in line with the stumps or pitching outside leg, or an inside edge, not line) because Hawkeye's f’ed. Seriously, do you know why they call it 'umpire's call' instead of actually depicting the uncertainty field? The actual field the ball could travel within the field is massive; it'd look like guessing, because it ******* is.

Ohitsthatguy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As I said above, I see it as two things, Hawkeye and the TV coverage. Hawkeye is a flawed technology, that advantages some countries (which produce shorter bowlers) over others, and the TV coverage actively watched the ball around our infield looking for balltampering because they didn't like that Faf got caught on their last tour on camera. Cricket SA officials backgrounded the SA public on Candice Warner, and distributed Sonny Bill Williams masks. Their crowds jeered, and continue to jeer, content in their supposed moral righteousness (as, I suppose, in the same way we were until Bancroft took Sandpaper out onto Newlands)
Oh don't get me started on that, fu** them for that...

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Really enjoyed this series, far more entertaining then the Ashes if I'm being honest.

Kohli can say all the right things in the press conference but when the chips were down him and some of his squad acted like absolute idiots. I know it's not the same but it reminded me slightly of when the game had started to turn against us and the series win looked out of reach back in 2017, instead of digging deep, the sand paper came out.

Credit to Bavuma, he's putting together a solid run of form without really going on and making a big score. To be fair though, not a lot of batsmen these days to push on to a big score against this Indian attack so hopefully he can go big in NZ.

Didn't have much hope for Keegan as a 28 year old with a moderate FC record but he's obviously a great find, especially with the batting stocks so thing.

Rassie has played a few nuggety knocks and deserves another chance against NZ but if he fails again they may want to replace him at 4 with Markram who is still one of their biggest talents.

Time for India to have a bit of a reset under Dravid. Rahane is clearly done and Pujara's status in the side looks to have passed him by, as shown after he was moved out of 1st slip after dropping that catch, not the sign of someone the Captain has any faith in anymore. Time to give Vihari a proper run like we gave Harris and same for Iyer.

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
BTW SA losing that series to SL came down to a last wicket partnership from memory that was about 80 odd.
Better innings than Stokes at Headingley

Then came from 70 behind after the 1st innings in the 2nd test to win by 8 wickets

And it was a month after they got smashed in Australia

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
West Indies beating England was the other one that came to mind for me. Granted, they were at home, and England have been pretty average since there.
England losing is never really a shock except for a couple of years in the Flower era.
Were you talking the one in 09 when they got rolled for 50 in the 1st test and then they produced dead pitches for the next 4 tests or the most recent one series there?

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ashwin's a douche - hilariously so - and he'll get suspended, but I genuinely get the impression that Kohli fully believes in cricket the Australian way. He's committed to 'hard, but fair', and tries to get his team playing to the line without crossing it wherever he can. He asked the crowd not to boo Smith and Warner in England during the world cup; he's never been anything other than complementary towards us as a country and as a team. Look at Rahane's gift of a signed jumper to Nathan Lyon for his 100th test; there's respect there.

As I said above, I see it as two things, Hawkeye and the TV coverage. Hawkeye is a flawed technology, that advantages some countries (which produce shorter bowlers) over others, and the TV coverage actively watched the ball around our infield looking for balltampering because they didn't like that Faf got caught on their last tour on camera. Cricket SA officials backgrounded the SA public on Candice Warner, and distributed Sonny Bill Williams masks. Their crowds jeered, and continue to jeer, content in their supposed moral righteousness (as, I suppose, in the same way we were until Bancroft took Sandpaper out onto Newlands).

I've got all the time in the world for Kohli, and I've been more than insistent that the umpire should be the arbiter of whether or not the ball would hit the stumps in an LBW review (you would only be able to review for hitting in line with the stumps or pitching outside leg, or an inside edge, not line) because Hawkeye's f’ed. Seriously, do you know why they call it 'umpire's call' instead of actually depicting the uncertainty field? The actual field the ball could travel within the field is massive; it'd look like guessing, because it ******* is.

Kohli standing up for the Australian cricket team for the injustices meted out to them in South Africa by Supersport and CSA by making himself the villain. He is not the hero Australia wants, but it desperately needs.

download.jpeg

P.S.: Hope you beat the infection and recover soon.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Kohli standing up for the injustices meted out to the Australian cricket team in South Africa by Supersport and CSA by making himself the villain. He is not the hero Australia wants, but it desperately needs.

View attachment 1311024

P.S.: Hope you beat the infection and recover soon.

Have they been doing the same to India, carefully watching how they shine the ball? (Or any touring side for that matter)

hawkman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Who really cares if they are keeping a camera on what teams are doing to the ball. Don't do something stupid and you won't get caught.

When was the last time any home broadcaster showed their team cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad