South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm sure you do.
Yep.

The zone of uncertainty - where the ball could go from the point of impact - would be best depicted by a cone, and if a certain percentage of that cone was hitting the stumps then it can be called out. In an ideal world, instead of a Hawkeye graphic showing a ball, they show that cone; in this one, that would demonstrate the problematic nature of Hawkeye.

The problem comes from this: if there is any uncertainty about whether the ball would hit the stumps, regardless of probability, does that not contravene the spirit of the law of LBW?

Ischenko

Club Legend
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
wasn't there one very next over that pitched on same spot and actually bounced over the stumps?

All you want from drs is a consistent system and it is, it's not like SA got bunch of lbw's go their way the suddenly when indian bowl hawkeye shows way more bounce than during their batting innings so what exactly is the issue?

Not saying there was a conspiracy, and the Indians behaved like petulant kids, but idk…it just looked so plumb. But yeah, a bouncy pitch I guess. SA deserved winners so no issue in the end.

Me and a mate had a look at some drs mistakes on YouTube last night apropos of this, I reckon they should use drs only for hot-spot and snicko. Let the umpires make the call on whether the ball is pitching in line and hitting or missing: if they miss the batter getting bat on it the batter always knows and will review. Likewise for catches given or not given: players use it to eliminate mistakes where they know the umpire is wrong.

There’s so much variation between pitches and bowlers etc that it’s surely hard to argue that Hawkeye is always correct…I’ll admit I’m not an expert on it, but I reckon we should minimise its use as much as possible.

Nuggetz

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
That looks a boody good team tbh. Kholi will captain in tests to the end yeah? Very hard to imagine him passing it on...
Excited for SA too, someone on here wrote Peterson off after two tests (bagging Bavuma at the same time) and if I was vindictive I'd find the post but better to enjoy his batting: he looks a beauty. Bavuma is heart and soul. vdD not convinced but he can hang around at least. Markram either find form or find someone else. Bring on this winter and next summer!

Not anymore, he just stepped down as captain haha

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Devastated. He didn't deserve to stay as the LOI captain, but he was a much much better Test captain. He had been building a great legacy in Test cricket and I thought he would go on to beat Smith's record of most wins as captain. He had no reason to retire actually, unless he felt unwelcome to stay as captain at the job. There are some serious shady things happening behind the scenes in Indian cricket once Ganguly took over the reins.

mugiwara

Team Captain
Dec 20, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
India
That's shocking ! There is no one better to lead India in Tests than Vk. I think his batting form might have influenced him to call it quits wrt captaincy.. Anyway, he was best test captain we had. The passion he brings to the team will be missed.

Tbh not good news for India. I can't think of anyone who can lead now. Rahul is not ideal and from the glimpse of his captaincy in IPL. Maybe Ashwin ? Then that would lead to Jaddu sitting out in overseas tour. I guess it will go to Rohit ?

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
From isolating alone in a room at Sydney and binge watching Netflix series while the team was battling it out in the BG trophy about an year ago, to forcing Virat to abdicate his captaincy from T20, ODI and finally Test captaincy as well and becoming the all format captain of India, absolute gunman RohitSharma.

images (25).jpeg

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
7 years is a long time to Captain, though I thought he might carry on until we tour over there to be honest.

I wonder what this will mean for his place in the Test side. Dhoni retired pretty suddenly from Tests at age 33, I wonder if Kohli is considering the same after the next series which will he take him past 100 Tests.

It'd be sad for the game as he's always been a big advocator for Test Cricket but with the bubbles and the way the board seem to be treating him it'd be understandable if he wants to make a clean break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

melanChronic

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kohli stepping down if good for Indian cricket. He's been hugely important in furthering Ganguly and then Dhoni's mission to make Indian cricket ruthless and professional. His push to make India competitive in SENA countries has completely changed the landscape of the game and has seen India finally fully utilise the unrivalled pool of talent they have available.

But as an onfield captain he has many flaws. I think he's a bit like Ponting in that he has a very deep tactical understanding of the game and where it is going, but becomes too emotionally invested in what is happening. So he makes a goose of himself, but more importantly he misses moves that a calmer and more detached captain would capitalise on. The difference between him and Williamson in the WTC final in this regard was stark.

It's also probably best that he focuses on getting his batting back to the levels he is capable of.

Not sure who is going to replace him-- Rahane was a great captain last year but there's a good chance he's played his last test.

Stig O'Hara

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
So the Kohli/Shastri era ends.

Was a bloody successful time, near the end it got a little strange when MS Dhoni was brought in as a mentor for the T20 World Cup, then moved onto Rahul Dravid for the red ball stuff.

You’ve got 4 genuine Indian legends jostling for control over all formats within a month.

Just sayin’

Sphynx

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the Kohli/Shastri era ends.

Was a bloody successful time, near the end it got a little strange when MS Dhoni was brought in as a mentor for the T20 World Cup, then moved onto Rahul Dravid for the red ball stuff.

You’ve got 4 genuine Indian legends jostling for control over all formats within a month.

Just sayin’

Dont forget Gunguly with his claws in everything as well

Silly Mid On

Debutant
Jul 10, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A thought:

KL Rahul captained the 2nd test when Kohli was out with back issues.

I would hazard a guess that Rahul is Kohlis choice to replace him as captain.

He would have been chosen to captain with Kohlis backing in that game - which was interesting because Rahane played that match and has always filled in as captain when Kohli hasn't played

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not that he ever would have been a logical choice to captain India because he was very quiet but I always thought a guy like Laxman in the right team would have been a good captain. As a batsman he had a great combination of calm, skill, and a very very good cricket brain as well as a lot of backbone, now that India have found that sort of combativeness in their general play, a guy like him would be perfect for them imo. Sharma might be that guy

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
That's shocking ! There is no one better to lead India in Tests than Vk. I think his batting form might have influenced him to call it quits wrt captaincy.. Anyway, he was best test captain we had. The passion he brings to the team will be missed.

Tbh not good news for India. I can't think of anyone who can lead now. Rahul is not ideal and from the glimpse of his captaincy in IPL. Maybe Ashwin ? Then that would lead to Jaddu sitting out in overseas tour. I guess it will go to Rohit ?
Yeah, I read a piece ahead of this series which insinuated that Sharma was a far better mentor for the ODI team, at least for the whole team, but it was really hard to decipher how much was true, and how much was BCCI wires to the media. Especially given higher-ups suggested Kohli had stood down (in LOIs), and he came out and said that wasn't true, and that he wanted to stay captain.

Seems like a very messy situation, and I don't think the lack of stability over the last few months will help India in the short to medium term.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it true that Kohli and Sharma don’t like each other?
That's very much true.

No tweet yet from Rohit, Pujara, Rahane, Ashwin, Saha, etc., on Kohli's retirement. There seems to be a serious backroom split in Indian cricket that has been somewhat kept under the covers.

anchor man

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dynamic Dockers &South Fr
Thebrat has let himself down once too often. been a total tool for a long time and got away with it. As he has done yet again with his out burst to stump mic.
He has been allowed far to much rein to make a fool of himself and lower the Indian standards.
A very very good player, but not a good ambassador for India.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad