South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wins it in style.

Not that I think it would change the result, I’m really surprised that Bumrah and Shami didn’t resume bowling after lunch.

Congratulations to South Africa. They have got a promising player in Keegan Petersen. And Jansen is going to be a star. Past 2 years have been the year of 6 7" giant debutant fast bowlers.

India beat South Africa easily in the 1st Test with Rahane making runs and both of them made 50s in the 2nd innings of the 2nd Test setting a target.

At this point, if you're making a case for Rahane, I'm suspecting you want Rahane to continue in the Indian team so that Australia bags a series win in India when they tour in a few months.

Has there been a bigger series upset in the last 10? 15 years?

God knows what’s going on behind the scenes with India, they’ve been genuinely embarrassed.
Won easily in the 1st Test, South Africa's weakness is their batting and with De Kock shock retirement from Test cricket after the 1st Test, India thought this was an easy clean sweep and first series win in South Africa.

At this point, if you're making a case for Rahane, I'm suspecting you want Rahane to continue in the Indian team so that Australia bags a series win in India when they tour in a few months.
Just pointing the facts he made some runs in the first 2 Test matches, unlike Starc who only contributed in the 1st out of 4 Tests and Lyon who didn't contributed all series when he had the chance to bowl on day 5 at the SCG and Brisbane and failed.

God knows what’s going on behind the scenes with India, they’ve been genuinely embarrassed.

A lot of people in India ripping into the team for acting like w***ers. suppose it makes it worse when you end up losing

Just point the facts he made some runs in the first 2 Test matches, unlike Starc who only contributed in the 1st out of 4 Tests and Lyon who didn't contributed all series when he had the chance to bowl on day 5 at the SCG and Brisbane and failed.

I don't think we need to have this debate again, but for the record, Starc generally bowls well except against India. India is sort of his bogey team in a way. Rahane has been stinking up the shop against all teams in the past 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not an upset at all, was always going to be a close series.

Yeah, SA have lost some batting but their bowling stocks have always been top notch. If Rabada fires (as he did) he can run through any side

And now they've discovered a brilliant young left-armer? And Ngidi who is also a gun?

Who needs batting when your bowling attack is so good

Also proves Nortje is overrated

I don't think we need to have this debate again, but for the record, Starc generally bowls well except against India. India is sort of his bogey team in a way. Rahane has been stinking up the shop against all teams in the past 2 years.
He bowled very well in the 2018 series except at the SCG where he does perform poorly but the pitch was a road and India won the toss and batted to 600+ with the game ending in a draw despite our poor batting line up without Smith and Warner.

1642161416647.png

Well done to the saffas, clearly the better team throughout the series in all facets of the game. South Africa improved in each test while India regressed. Lots of learnings for this Indian team and not a good start for their new coach, Rahul Dravid. Biggest positive of this series has clearly been South Africa finding a good batsmen in Keegan Petersen, I hope he can continue this form and develop into a world class batter.

Yeah, SA have lost some batting but their bowling stocks have always been top notch. If Rabada fires (as he did) he can run through any side

And now they've discovered a brilliant young left-armer? And Ngidi who is also a gun?

India started favourite to win the series (even Kohli said this in his post match interview), especially after De Kock shock retirement after the 1st Test which India easily won.

Sri Lanka winning in South Africa a couple of years ago will take a lot of beating for all time series upsets let alone the last 15 years

India started favourite to win the series (even Kohli said this in his post match interview), especially after De Kock shock retirement after the 1st Test which India easily won.
It's really not a huge upset, they've never beaten SA in a series in SA.

Bangladesh beating NZ in NZ... that's a huge upset.

India failing to win a series in SA is not a huge upset.

India need to move on from Pujara, Rahane and Aggarwal. I don't think Umesh Yadav should've played this test either. We have players but they need opportunity. A side I'd like to see moving forward is something similar to this:

1. Rohit
2. KL
3. Gill
4. Kohli
5. Iyer
6. Pant
7. Jaddu/Ashwin
8. Thakur
9. Shami
10. Bumrah
11. Siraj/Sharma

Mayank has failed outside of India, time to move on. Rohit is a good opener, albeit old. KL/Gill are our future and I like them in the top order for team balance. Iyer is suited to the middle order. Depending on conditions I would play 2 of Jaddu/Ashwin/Thakur, only in India would I play all 3 with Thakur being the 3rd seamer. Shami/Bumrah are our best 2 bowling options and a lethal combination. Siraj/Sharma should battle for 3rd seamer spot in most conditions.

I must admit I didn’t think it would be close at all. Then they god flogged in the first test and QDK retires and it’s lazarus stuff from there. As good as their attack is (and I agree Nortje isn’t a great loss) their batting looked so bad on paper I kinda just expected them to get rolled every time unless Elgar carried his bat or Markram played a worldie.

Sri Lanka winning in South Africa a couple of years ago will take a lot of beating for all time series upsets let alone the last 15 years

Good call 👍🏻 forgot about that one

Definitely an upset but not consider a "massive" upset. Bangladesh only won a Test in NZ not a series.

On paper India should've won because of their batting line up BUT that batting line up hasn't been performing too well. Especially with Rahane included, missing Rohit and Gill. South Africa pace attack has been lethal, all 4 pacers have been great. India, especially this test was found wanting with their 3rd seamer in Umesh who was far too expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back