South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said above, I see it as two things, Hawkeye and the TV coverage. Hawkeye is a flawed technology, that advantages some countries (which produce shorter bowlers) over others, and the TV coverage actively watched the ball around our infield looking for balltampering because they didn't like that Faf got caught on their last tour on camera. Cricket SA officials backgrounded the SA public on Candice Warner, and distributed Sonny Bill Williams masks. Their crowds jeered, and continue to jeer, content in their supposed moral righteousness (as, I suppose, in the same way we were until Bancroft took Sandpaper out onto Newlands)
Oh don't get me started on that, * them for that...

Really enjoyed this series, far more entertaining then the Ashes if I'm being honest.

Kohli can say all the right things in the press conference but when the chips were down him and some of his squad acted like absolute idiots. I know it's not the same but it reminded me slightly of when the game had started to turn against us and the series win looked out of reach back in 2017, instead of digging deep, the sand paper came out.

Credit to Bavuma, he's putting together a solid run of form without really going on and making a big score. To be fair though, not a lot of batsmen these days to push on to a big score against this Indian attack so hopefully he can go big in NZ.

Didn't have much hope for Keegan as a 28 year old with a moderate FC record but he's obviously a great find, especially with the batting stocks so thing.

Rassie has played a few nuggety knocks and deserves another chance against NZ but if he fails again they may want to replace him at 4 with Markram who is still one of their biggest talents.

Time for India to have a bit of a reset under Dravid. Rahane is clearly done and Pujara's status in the side looks to have passed him by, as shown after he was moved out of 1st slip after dropping that catch, not the sign of someone the Captain has any faith in anymore. Time to give Vihari a proper run like we gave Harris and same for Iyer.

BTW SA losing that series to SL came down to a last wicket partnership from memory that was about 80 odd.
Better innings than Stokes at Headingley

Then came from 70 behind after the 1st innings in the 2nd test to win by 8 wickets

And it was a month after they got smashed in Australia

West Indies beating England was the other one that came to mind for me. Granted, they were at home, and England have been pretty average since there.
England losing is never really a shock except for a couple of years in the Flower era.
Were you talking the one in 09 when they got rolled for 50 in the 1st test and then they produced dead pitches for the next 4 tests or the most recent one series there?

Ashwin's a douche - hilariously so - and he'll get suspended, but I genuinely get the impression that Kohli fully believes in cricket the Australian way. He's committed to 'hard, but fair', and tries to get his team playing to the line without crossing it wherever he can. He asked the crowd not to boo Smith and Warner in England during the world cup; he's never been anything other than complementary towards us as a country and as a team. Look at Rahane's gift of a signed jumper to Nathan Lyon for his 100th test; there's respect there.

As I said above, I see it as two things, Hawkeye and the TV coverage. Hawkeye is a flawed technology, that advantages some countries (which produce shorter bowlers) over others, and the TV coverage actively watched the ball around our infield looking for balltampering because they didn't like that Faf got caught on their last tour on camera. Cricket SA officials backgrounded the SA public on Candice Warner, and distributed Sonny Bill Williams masks. Their crowds jeered, and continue to jeer, content in their supposed moral righteousness (as, I suppose, in the same way we were until Bancroft took Sandpaper out onto Newlands).

I've got all the time in the world for Kohli, and I've been more than insistent that the umpire should be the arbiter of whether or not the ball would hit the stumps in an LBW review (you would only be able to review for hitting in line with the stumps or pitching outside leg, or an inside edge, not line) because Hawkeye's f’ed. Seriously, do you know why they call it 'umpire's call' instead of actually depicting the uncertainty field? The actual field the ball could travel within the field is massive; it'd look like guessing, because it ******* is.

Kohli standing up for the Australian cricket team for the injustices meted out to them in South Africa by Supersport and CSA by making himself the villain. He is not the hero Australia wants, but it desperately needs.

download.jpeg

P.S.: Hope you beat the infection and recover soon.

Kohli standing up for the injustices meted out to the Australian cricket team in South Africa by Supersport and CSA by making himself the villain. He is not the hero Australia wants, but it desperately needs.

View attachment 1311024

P.S.: Hope you beat the infection and recover soon.

Have they been doing the same to India, carefully watching how they shine the ball? (Or any touring side for that matter)

Lyon's weird as far as spinners go. If you look at his career stats, you'll find he's more likely to take a wicket on days 1 and 2 or in conditions that don't suit a traditional spinner, but less likely to take a wicket on day 5. He - essentially - averages better on days 1,2, and 3 than he does on day 4-5.

The question I've got for you: do you prefer having him take wickets while the quicks are at their best - ie, he helps us build first innings dominance - or would you take him being genuinely anemic in the first dig if it meant he was Graeme Swann in the fourth innings?
He started to bowled us to victory on 5th day a few years ago with home Test against New Zealand and Pakistan and can't recall when he has done this since when you thought he would have done this more regularly as he was entering his prime.

Just saw Polly, he's going a bit spare on top, got to chat to him when SA were playing in a warm up game at UWA for the Aus v SA series in 2005/06, great bloke.

I saw Jacques Kallis hit a 6 near where I was sitting at Allan Border field during a warm up game on that same tour before the ODI tri series,

Have they been doing the same to India, carefully watching how they shine the ball? (Or any touring side for that matter)

I'm not really sure, but I heard Kohli talking about Supersport something something from the stump mic in the second day before this sh*t happened on the 3rd day, but couldn't hear properly because Nicholas and Pollock were rambling about something else in commentary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People trying to say kohli has some legit point here are seriously delusional, the ball tracking is run by separate company not supersport but the ones running it decided for some unexplained reason to plan out a conspiracy to help SA win a test and they planned this out in advance knowing lbws would be such a vital part of this test which of course was obvious going into this innings when SA had got 0 indians out lbw on this very bouncy deck?

Kohli just lost his rag because a close call went against his side, no grand conspiracy india just lost control of their emotions in a tight game and acted like children.

Last edited:
India need to move on from Pujara, Rahane and Aggarwal. I don't think Umesh Yadav should've played this test either. We have players but they need opportunity. A side I'd like to see moving forward is something similar to this:

1. Rohit
2. KL
3. Gill
4. Kohli
5. Iyer
6. Pant
7. Jaddu/Ashwin
8. Thakur
9. Shami
10. Bumrah
11. Siraj/Sharma

Mayank has failed outside of India, time to move on. Rohit is a good opener, albeit old. KL/Gill are our future and I like them in the top order for team balance. Iyer is suited to the middle order. Depending on conditions I would play 2 of Jaddu/Ashwin/Thakur, only in India would I play all 3 with Thakur being the 3rd seamer. Shami/Bumrah are our best 2 bowling options and a lethal combination. Siraj/Sharma should battle for 3rd seamer spot in most conditions.

That looks a boody good team tbh. Kholi will captain in tests to the end yeah? Very hard to imagine him passing it on...
Excited for SA too, someone on here wrote Peterson off after two tests (bagging Bavuma at the same time) and if I was vindictive I'd find the post but better to enjoy his batting: he looks a beauty. Bavuma is heart and soul. vdD not convinced but he can hang around at least. Markram either find form or find someone else. Bring on this winter and next summer!

Last edited:
something didnt seem right looking at that on replay, and i actually thought it was out looking at 1st time.

Sometime you just kinda know that it's out: everyone who knows cricket does. They just look plumb. And Erasmus is not one to give easy lbws. They behaved badly but I don't see how that wasn't out.

England losing is never really a shock except for a couple of years in the Flower era.
Were you talking the one in 09 when they got rolled for 50 in the 1st test and then they produced dead pitches for the next 4 tests or the most recent one series there?
The most recent seties, but you're probably right that it wasn't that much of a shock. But the Windies had been really, really average in Test cricket for about decade by then.

Not an upset at all, was always going to be a close series.

Yeah, SA have lost some batting but their bowling stocks have always been top notch. If Rabada fires (as he did) he can run through any side

And now they've discovered a brilliant young left-armer? And Ngidi who is also a gun?

Who needs batting when your bowling attack is so good

Also proves Nortje is overrated
Lol

How is Nortje overrated. Because they have other good bowlers it somehow makes him overrated?

Sometime you just kinda know that it's out: everyone who knows cricket does. They just look plumb. And Erasmus is not one to give easy lbws. They behaved badly but I don't see how that wasn't out.

wasn't there one very next over that pitched on same spot and actually bounced over the stumps?

All you want from drs is a consistent system and it is, it's not like SA got bunch of lbw's go their way the suddenly when indian bowl hawkeye shows way more bounce than during their batting innings so what exactly is the issue?

Last edited:
wasn't there one very next over that pitched on same spot and actually bounced over the stumps?

All you want from drs is a consistent system and it is, it's not like SA got bunch of lbw's go their way the suddenly when indian bowl hawkeye shows way more bounce than during their batting innings so what exactly is the issue?
I heard an expert say that the side on vision had it tracking over the stumps.

Unsurprisingly no fines much less bans for those comments by the senior Indian players, think PhatBoy called it that they would get off on the technicality that it was aimed at the broadcaster even if there are general clauses that cover bringing the sport into disrepute or slagging those associated with the match.

Swearing at yourself = not okay
Accusing officials of cheating = okay

Glad that South Africa won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back