South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
People trying to say kohli has some legit point here are seriously delusional, the ball tracking is run by separate company not supersport but the ones running it decided for some unexplained reason to plan out a conspiracy to help SA win a test and they planned this out in advance knowing lbws would be such a vital part of this test which of course was obvious going into this innings when SA had got 0 indians out lbw on this very bouncy deck?

Kohli just lost his rag because a close call went against his side, no grand conspiracy india just lost control of their emotions in a tight game and acted like children.

Correct, no country can doctor the DRS individually, claiming that to be the case is conspiracy on the level some wack job American republicans would be proud of.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Ha ha wot?
... okay.

There's a difference in the degree to which some nations get LBW's compared to others.

Either nations like England, Sri Lanka, NZ are exceptional at producing taller bowlers who can get the ball to shoot through as though they were a good 5-10 cm shorter, or some nations - WI, Australia, SA are disadvantaged in hawkeye because of the bounce they get from their height.

Pick which you prefer.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Kohli standing up for the Australian cricket team for the injustices meted out to them in South Africa by Supersport and CSA by making himself the villain. He is not the hero Australia wants, but it desperately needs.

View attachment 1311024

P.S.: Hope you beat the infection and recover soon.
Don't think it's so overt or selfless as all that.

Thanks.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
... okay.

There's a difference in the degree to which some nations get LBW's compared to others.

Either nations like England, Sri Lanka, NZ are exceptional at producing taller bowlers who can get the ball to shoot through as though they were a good 5-10 cm shorter, or some nations - WI, Australia, SA are disadvantaged in hawkeye because of the bounce they get from their height.

Pick which you prefer.

Is there data analysis that compares bowler heights vs successful DRS lbw appeals on the same pitches across the world?

Oct 6, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Patriots, Golden State, Wildcats
if there was one thing which I think DRS may have had in that Kohli rant, was the delivery was from Ashwin- who for spinner standards is a relatively tall bowler (1.88 metres)

im not sure if that was factored into account in the LBW dismissal. The trajectory would have been different if it was say from an Adam Zampa (1.75 metres)

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there data analysis that compares bowler heights vs successful DRS lbw appeals on the same pitches across the world?
Not that I'm aware of, and I get the general impression the ICC haven't really wanted to look too hard at the DRS, and especially not at hawkeye.

For whatever reason, some countries seem to produce tall fast bowlers at an increased rate, and those tall fast bowler struggle to convince the technology that the ball would not bounce over the stumps when reviewed. I can remember any number of balls from Jason Holder - whose speciality as a bowler is getting some to skid on as well as others to kick - where hawkeye's prediction had the ball going over when no way was it going to.

I'm not an expert in the technology, but one does not need to be to recognise that a) it has flaws in prediction, and b) the degree of uncertainty is not adequately depicted at present.

Why you would keep people in the dark? I don't know, but I have some theories.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think we are not far from the day when we would see more transparency in how DRS and Hawkeye technology works. Like you could have a future where once a team reviews a decision, you could have a live coverage from inside the truck on how the decisions are made.

Of course, we will have no idea if it's telecast now, but probably it could become more transparent in the future and the general cricket fan would have a basic idea of how the tracking is made.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Not that I'm aware of, and I get the general impression the ICC haven't really wanted to look too hard at the DRS, and especially not at hawkeye.

For whatever reason, some countries seem to produce tall fast bowlers at an increased rate, and those tall fast bowler struggle to convince the technology that the ball would not bounce over the stumps when reviewed. I can remember any number of balls from Jason Holder - whose speciality as a bowler is getting some to skid on as well as others to kick - where hawkeye's prediction had the ball going over when no way was it going to.

I'm not an expert in the technology, but one does not need to be to recognise that a) it has flaws in prediction, and b) the degree of uncertainty is not adequately depicted at present.

Why you would keep people in the dark? I don't know, but I have some theories.

I'm sure you do.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm sure you do.
Yep.

The zone of uncertainty - where the ball could go from the point of impact - would be best depicted by a cone, and if a certain percentage of that cone was hitting the stumps then it can be called out. In an ideal world, instead of a Hawkeye graphic showing a ball, they show that cone; in this one, that would demonstrate the problematic nature of Hawkeye.

The problem comes from this: if there is any uncertainty about whether the ball would hit the stumps, regardless of probability, does that not contravene the spirit of the law of LBW?

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
wasn't there one very next over that pitched on same spot and actually bounced over the stumps?

All you want from drs is a consistent system and it is, it's not like SA got bunch of lbw's go their way the suddenly when indian bowl hawkeye shows way more bounce than during their batting innings so what exactly is the issue?

Not saying there was a conspiracy, and the Indians behaved like petulant kids, but idk…it just looked so plumb. But yeah, a bouncy pitch I guess. SA deserved winners so no issue in the end.

Me and a mate had a look at some drs mistakes on YouTube last night apropos of this, I reckon they should use drs only for hot-spot and snicko. Let the umpires make the call on whether the ball is pitching in line and hitting or missing: if they miss the batter getting bat on it the batter always knows and will review. Likewise for catches given or not given: players use it to eliminate mistakes where they know the umpire is wrong.

There’s so much variation between pitches and bowlers etc that it’s surely hard to argue that Hawkeye is always correct…I’ll admit I’m not an expert on it, but I reckon we should minimise its use as much as possible.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
That looks a boody good team tbh. Kholi will captain in tests to the end yeah? Very hard to imagine him passing it on...
Excited for SA too, someone on here wrote Peterson off after two tests (bagging Bavuma at the same time) and if I was vindictive I'd find the post but better to enjoy his batting: he looks a beauty. Bavuma is heart and soul. vdD not convinced but he can hang around at least. Markram either find form or find someone else. Bring on this winter and next summer!

Not anymore, he just stepped down as captain haha

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Devastated. He didn't deserve to stay as the LOI captain, but he was a much much better Test captain. He had been building a great legacy in Test cricket and I thought he would go on to beat Smith's record of most wins as captain. He had no reason to retire actually, unless he felt unwelcome to stay as captain at the job. There are some serious shady things happening behind the scenes in Indian cricket once Ganguly took over the reins.

mugiwara

Team Captain
Dec 20, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
India
That's shocking ! There is no one better to lead India in Tests than Vk. I think his batting form might have influenced him to call it quits wrt captaincy.. Anyway, he was best test captain we had. The passion he brings to the team will be missed.

Tbh not good news for India. I can't think of anyone who can lead now. Rahul is not ideal and from the glimpse of his captaincy in IPL. Maybe Ashwin ? Then that would lead to Jaddu sitting out in overseas tour. I guess it will go to Rohit ?

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
From isolating alone in a room at Sydney and binge watching Netflix series while the team was battling it out in the BG trophy about an year ago, to forcing Virat to abdicate his captaincy from T20, ODI and finally Test captaincy as well and becoming the all format captain of India, absolute gunman RohitSharma.

images (25).jpeg

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
7 years is a long time to Captain, though I thought he might carry on until we tour over there to be honest.

I wonder what this will mean for his place in the Test side. Dhoni retired pretty suddenly from Tests at age 33, I wonder if Kohli is considering the same after the next series which will he take him past 100 Tests.

It'd be sad for the game as he's always been a big advocator for Test Cricket but with the bubbles and the way the board seem to be treating him it'd be understandable if he wants to make a clean break.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kohli stepping down if good for Indian cricket. He's been hugely important in furthering Ganguly and then Dhoni's mission to make Indian cricket ruthless and professional. His push to make India competitive in SENA countries has completely changed the landscape of the game and has seen India finally fully utilise the unrivalled pool of talent they have available.

But as an onfield captain he has many flaws. I think he's a bit like Ponting in that he has a very deep tactical understanding of the game and where it is going, but becomes too emotionally invested in what is happening. So he makes a goose of himself, but more importantly he misses moves that a calmer and more detached captain would capitalise on. The difference between him and Williamson in the WTC final in this regard was stark.

It's also probably best that he focuses on getting his batting back to the levels he is capable of.

Not sure who is going to replace him-- Rahane was a great captain last year but there's a good chance he's played his last test.

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
So the Kohli/Shastri era ends.

Was a bloody successful time, near the end it got a little strange when MS Dhoni was brought in as a mentor for the T20 World Cup, then moved onto Rahul Dravid for the red ball stuff.

You’ve got 4 genuine Indian legends jostling for control over all formats within a month.

Just sayin’

Back