South Africa v India (3 Test matches, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

So the Kohli/Shastri era ends.

Was a bloody successful time, near the end it got a little strange when MS Dhoni was brought in as a mentor for the T20 World Cup, then moved onto Rahul Dravid for the red ball stuff.

You’ve got 4 genuine Indian legends jostling for control over all formats within a month.

Just sayin’

Dont forget Gunguly with his claws in everything as well

A thought:

KL Rahul captained the 2nd test when Kohli was out with back issues.

I would hazard a guess that Rahul is Kohlis choice to replace him as captain.

He would have been chosen to captain with Kohlis backing in that game - which was interesting because Rahane played that match and has always filled in as captain when Kohli hasn't played

Not that he ever would have been a logical choice to captain India because he was very quiet but I always thought a guy like Laxman in the right team would have been a good captain. As a batsman he had a great combination of calm, skill, and a very very good cricket brain as well as a lot of backbone, now that India have found that sort of combativeness in their general play, a guy like him would be perfect for them imo. Sharma might be that guy

That's shocking ! There is no one better to lead India in Tests than Vk. I think his batting form might have influenced him to call it quits wrt captaincy.. Anyway, he was best test captain we had. The passion he brings to the team will be missed.

Tbh not good news for India. I can't think of anyone who can lead now. Rahul is not ideal and from the glimpse of his captaincy in IPL. Maybe Ashwin ? Then that would lead to Jaddu sitting out in overseas tour. I guess it will go to Rohit ?
Yeah, I read a piece ahead of this series which insinuated that Sharma was a far better mentor for the ODI team, at least for the whole team, but it was really hard to decipher how much was true, and how much was BCCI wires to the media. Especially given higher-ups suggested Kohli had stood down (in LOIs), and he came out and said that wasn't true, and that he wanted to stay captain.

Seems like a very messy situation, and I don't think the lack of stability over the last few months will help India in the short to medium term.

Is it true that Kohli and Sharma don’t like each other?
That's very much true.

No tweet yet from Rohit, Pujara, Rahane, Ashwin, Saha, etc., on Kohli's retirement. There seems to be a serious backroom split in Indian cricket that has been somewhat kept under the covers.

Thebrat has let himself down once too often. been a total tool for a long time and got away with it. As he has done yet again with his out burst to stump mic.
He has been allowed far to much rein to make a fool of himself and lower the Indian standards.
A very very good player, but not a good ambassador for India.

Thebrat has let himself down once too often. been a total tool for a long time and got away with it. As he has done yet again with his out burst to stump mic.
He has been allowed far to much rein to make a fool of himself and lower the Indian standards.
A very very good player, but not a good ambassador for India.

What’s he actually done that’s repeatedly been wrong? He gave the bird to fans once 10 years ago. He also pleaded with fans not to boo two of his opponents that fully deserved it.

He’s been involved in many little verbal exchanges on the field but aside from his blow up with Gautam Gambhir in the IPL I’m not sure any of them went into ‘poor ambassador’ territory.

This was stupid and deserved punishment, no argument there. It was unnecessary and childish.

But I think Kohli’s general abrasiveness and no *s given approach to giving it back to the opposition has painted a narrative that doesn’t actually exist

An outstanding era King Kohli has overseen for Indian cricket. Have loved his approach and his key contribution for new India.
Certainly has added lots of excitement every time Australia has played India.

In that regard, I think he's a great ambassador for the game.

What’s he actually done that’s repeatedly been wrong? He gave the bird to fans once 10 years ago. He also pleaded with fans not to boo two of his opponents that fully deserved it.

He’s been involved in many little verbal exchanges on the field but aside from his blow up with Gautam Gambhir in the IPL I’m not sure any of them went into ‘poor ambassador’ territory.

This was stupid and deserved punishment, no argument there. It was unnecessary and childish.

But I think Kohli’s general abrasiveness and no fu**s given approach to giving it back to the opposition has painted a narrative that doesn’t actually exist
His attitude towards umpires and his abrasiveness towards them leaves a lot to be desired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think it’s great but this moment last week was by far the worst and the only one I can think of that actually breaches convention or rule
He has been a recidivest umpire complainer.
If you have watched his games, you will see he is in the face of umpires many times.
Any other cricketer would have been sanctioned, But for some strange reason, Kholi seems to be immune.

He has been a recidivest umpire complainer.
If you have watched his games, you will see he is in the face of umpires many times.
Any other cricketer would have been sanctioned, But for some strange reason, Kholi seems to be immune.
I’ve watched a tonne of his cricket and yeah he loves a whinge but he’s also the captain and as such the one guy on the field who can interact with the umpire with relative impunity as long as he isn’t making accusations and questioning integrity etc.

I’ve watched a tonne of his cricket and yeah he loves a whinge but he’s also the captain and as such the one guy on the field who can interact with the umpire with relative impunity as long as he isn’t making accusations and questioning integrity etc.
His body language says he is doing just that.
He is a spoilt brat. A good player, champion even, but a whinger and moaner.
And not a good look for kids the way he challenges umpires.

I really hope Rohit isn't the captain, since he's 35yo and has had injury issues. There's no clear choice, KL was found wanting in the 2nd test and in his IPL stints. Would Bumrah be a possibility with KL/Rohit as VC? Could be a similar situation with Cummins as captain and Smith as VC. Ravi Ashwin is ruled out for me since he's 35yo and Jadeja is preferred when playing a lone spinner.

Left field option is Rishabh Pant and he's only 24, although he did well in the IPL taking over from Iyer. Took Delhi to the finals, they finished 1st in the regular season. IMO take a punt on Bumrah with someone like Rohit or even KL as VC. Pant as a smokey captain but I would prefer him to become white ball captain once Rohit retires in 2-3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back