Test South Africa vs WI - 2 Tests plus sundry white ball matches

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say something here that will probably get laughed off but on strength it just pure, God given talent for the things that many players never ever master, Mayers may well be in the most 3-4 naturally gifted players on the planet.

He plays shots that few batsmen are capable of - see that back foot drive for 6 in the t20 against Australia last summer and some of his short arm sixes during his career - and he gets a seam position that’s even more steady than James Anderson.

Now turning that into output is obviously another story but f*** me he has some talent

He still has a long way to go to get that title, Holder is more worthy of that honour and even he isn't in Botham's class as an all rounder.
nah, you misunderstand. I meant style of player he like a Botham, especially with his bowling. I suspect you missed Botham and can not see the similarity.

He still has a long way to go to get that title, Holder is more worthy of that honour and even he isn't in Botham's class as an all rounder.

Mayers is more like the Black Colin de Grandhomme at present, shows glimpses of being a great all rounder but doesn't show it consistently enough.

The comparison with CDG is a pretty good one and despite their similarities probably highlights my point above: CDG probably got the absolute most out of himself with bat and ball, he was just accurate and occasionally cut it around or swung it when conditions were heavy, relied a lot on brute power and a reasonable eye as a batsman

If mayers could develop some of the attitude of CDG he could really become something

Maybe I’m just overrating my team’s players but the pure ability of Mayers, Joseph, Holder as a batsman (his bowling is more mechanical) and Blackwood - and a guy like Shai Hope for that matter or Darren Bravo - should dictate that we have a really genuinely competitive test squad but sadly it’s rare that that ability clicks at the same time

I’ve said it before but as a bowler the player Id most compare KM to is Vernon Philander, ideally he would develop his batting to the level where he was like a reverse Vernon - reasonably better batsman and reasonably inferior bowler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hundred for Bavuma. Very good knock as South Africa collapsed just like they did in the last game. This knock pretty much ensures they'll win 2-0.

Especially nice for Bavuma to shake off form concerns given South Africa don't play Test Cricket again for a long time.

Some great banter there in the box between Pommie and Bish with the boxing gloves.

I wish I was a cricket commentator, such a cruisey gig, just talk cricket and talk sh*t with your mates.
And judging by people like Matthew Hayden, Pommie and Glenn McGrath you don't have to be much good to do it.

Mulder was looking promising with the bat but threw his hand away with an ill-conceived shot whereby he rolled his wrists rather than going for elevation and clearing the boundary easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back