Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought it was big of Boucher to stand up & admit his past wrongdoings.
It's a little bit late but also understandable, he's a couple of years younger than me and a product of his time. He would have grown up only knowing Africans as maids or gardeners, never as equals and he would have been taught that Apartheid is necessary. That's what I mean about structural racism, for whites of that era racism was in the blood by nature of where they lived, it was bred into them.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
It's a little bit late but also understandable, he's a couple of years younger than me and a product of his time. He would have grown up only knowing Africans as maids or gardeners, never as equals and he would have been taught that Apartheid is necessary. That's what I mean about structural racism, for whites of that era racism was in the blood by nature of where they lived, it was bred into them.
Absolutely. The cultural shift would have been very slow in RSA during the early years. Yes, it might be a bit late, but for Bouch to put his name forward as someone who contributed to the poor team culture in those days, & contacting past players to express his regret, is really helpful imo. It would have been easy for his to remain nameless & wait for this to blow over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad