South America

Remove this Banner Ad

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any idea what are you're staying in?

I am looking to see a South American city on the way home after a month in America. It will be my first time in the continent so clean and relaxed will suit me.

Santiago seems the most convenient for a 4-5 day stay. No idea what part yet.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Occidental

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am looking to see a South American city on the way home after a month in America. It will be my first time in the continent so clean and relaxed will suit me.

Santiago seems the most convenient for a 4-5 day stay. No idea what part yet.

Any tips would be appreciated.
I’m no expert on Chile, but I did spend a little bit of time there last year.
Santiago is ok. To be honest I’m not raving about the place, as it’s a huge city that spreads in all directions and it’s not on the coast.
What I remembered doing was going up San Cristobal hill lookout, also going up to the lookout at Costanera Tower (South America’s tallest building- you sure get to see a lot of smog!), went to the Human Rights Museum out in the burbs -it was great and I do recommend it. General wandering around the central city was ok. I would definitely bus over to Valparaiso. It is well worth a look and much more spectacular than Santiago. I did not go to any wineries that are just outside Santiago as I’d come overland from Mendoza and had visited heaps over there already.
All in all, an ok place, but as said I’m no expert and there may be heaps of other things to see that I didn’t get to.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m no expert on Chile, but I did spend a little bit of time there last year.
Santiago is ok. To be honest I’m not raving about the place, as it’s a huge city that spreads in all directions and it’s not on the coast.
What I remembered doing was going up San Cristobal hill lookout, also going up to the lookout at Costanera Tower (South America’s tallest building- you sure get to see a lot of smog!), went to the Human Rights Museum out in the burbs -it was great and I do recommend it. General wandering around the central city was ok. I would definitely bus over to Valparaiso. It is well worth a look and much more spectacular than Santiago. I did not go to any wineries that are just outside Santiago as I’d come overland from Mendoza and had visited heaps over there already.
All in all, an ok place, but as said I’m no expert and there may be heaps of other things to see that I didn’t get to.

It will be at the end of a full on month in the USA so i will be looking to wind down and do a bit of a wander, as long as it relatively safe then thats fine.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now into the last week of the 5 week tour.

Highlights :-

Igassu Falls - both sides and was a bucket list item. Wasn’t disappointed at all and no 1 highlight.

4 day Amazon trip - totally out of comfort zone - hot, humid, no toilets, no showers, no phone coverage and caught piranha then swam in the same river 200 metres upstream! Saw so much wildlife - monkeys, sloth, macaws, caiman, toucans and numerous other bird species. Absolutely stunk at the end of the 4 days and a shower was like heaven back in Iquitos.

Lake Titicaca and Colca Canyon - saw an active volcano and the beautiful condor in flight.

Cusco - beautiful city and the cleanest of all the cities we have visited. The worst - Iquitos (reminds me of SE Asia, Cambodia to b3 precise).

Have stayed in Air BNB in great locations (Santiago and Rio) and not expensive - even the hotels in Iquitos and Lima cost $60- and $96- respectively for a triple room and the Lima one was three blocks from the Plaza de Armas.

Now looking forward to trip to Rainbow Mountain (Sunday) then Macchu Picchu trek starting Monday.

A few questions.

Has anyone gone over to Paraguay from Iguassu Falls? If so, is the "largest shopping area in South America" worth it? (Cant recall if it was a shopping centre, mall or district)

Secondly, what day is the biggest for Rio's Carnival, and are tickets easy to obtain (even for lesser days if need be)

I have an Antarctica cruise from Ushuaia booked in February 2020 and will be doing Iguassu/Rio (MAYBE Buenos Aires too) just need to figure out dates and the like atm.

There's 3 days between the cruise finishing and the beginning of Carnival, but if it's easy to obtain tickets and the big day is near the end, we might do everything before it and finish in Rio.

I want to cross into Paraguay, but I believe there's a fee similar to that Australians (and Mexicans) have to pay in Chile? So just need to know if it's worth the trip, or whether they enforce it there.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now back in Oz.

Rainbow Mountain and Macchu Pichu trek were highlights.

Going from 4,400m to 5,200m for the walk up Rainbow Mountain wasn't easy (breathing wise) but boy was it worth the effort. Bloody magnificient however we had a fine day and wouldn't want to try it on a wet day.

The four day trek saw us cover approx. 100kms and going from a start point of 3,850m to a peak of 4,650m then down to 2,150m then up to 2,850m before heading into Macchu Pichu of 2,450m. Again hard work but worth it.

South America - a continent of contrasts but enjoyed it immensely.

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
A few questions.

Has anyone gone over to Paraguay from Iguassu Falls? If so, is the "largest shopping area in South America" worth it? (Cant recall if it was a shopping centre, mall or district)

Secondly, what day is the biggest for Rio's Carnival, and are tickets easy to obtain (even for lesser days if need be)

I have an Antarctica cruise from Ushuaia booked in February 2020 and will be doing Iguassu/Rio (MAYBE Buenos Aires too) just need to figure out dates and the like atm.

There's 3 days between the cruise finishing and the beginning of Carnival, but if it's easy to obtain tickets and the big day is near the end, we might do everything before it and finish in Rio.

I want to cross into Paraguay, but I believe there's a fee similar to that Australians (and Mexicans) have to pay in Chile? So just need to know if it's worth the trip, or whether they enforce it there.
I've done the crossing several times into Paraguay across Ponte Amizade (bridge of friendship). Tips:

- don't cross at night
- cross by foot only (during the day), as the traffic is horrendous
- don't wear valuables (particularly watches, rings or chains)
- blend in like a local (dark cap, sneans or shorts no socks)
- small backpack (to carry your shopping back afterwards). Rugsack or plastic shopping bags is asking for trouble.
- head down and walk quickly. Don't stop at security checkpoints, just walk across. Play dumb if you get caught (no one will actually care, Brazil already have you stamped as coming in and Paraguay encourage as many to come in and day shop as possible because there's no sales tax there)
- for luxury goods you want to go to SAX (it's a massive building almost immediately to the right as you get off the bridge)

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be with parents on that trip
Dad can’t blend in like a local if his life depended on it.
Every 2nd day he’s wearing an adelaide members polo
And the alternate day is north Adelaide related gear.

Guess it’s no Paraguay :p

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Heading to South America for 4 weeks in November with a plan to visit Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina. Hit me with your must do sights and experiences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Heading to South America for 4 weeks in November with a plan to visit Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina. Hit me with your must do sights and experiences.
Had some of the best & worst times of my life in Lima, Peru. Aside from the standard Machu Pichu trip, highly recommend pisco sour's, genuinely one of the best drinks I've had. Miraflores has some amazing food. The main square in Barranco is a beautiful scene.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Have done the planning and will be spending most of my time in Bolivia with a couple of days in Chile, Peru and Argentina due to logistics. Will update when I'm back as this thread is pretty quiet.

Rich

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have done the planning and will be spending most of my time in Bolivia with a couple of days in Chile, Peru and Argentina due to logistics. Will update when I'm back as this thread is pretty quiet.
Reckon Bolivia is a solid choice for your main country. Have a great time!

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Had some of the best & worst times of my life in Lima, Peru. Aside from the standard Machu Pichu trip, highly recommend pisco sour's, genuinely one of the best drinks I've had. Miraflores has some amazing food. The main square in Barranco is a beautiful scene.
mugged ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back