U18 Champs South Australia vs Allies, Thebarton Oval, Sunday June 19 @ 1.30pm (stream on AFL.com.au)

Who wins?

• South Australia

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • The Allies

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
U18 Champs - SA vs Allies
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

Game 1: South Australia vs Allies, Thebarton Oval, Sunday June 19 @ 1.30pm​

TEAMS​

South Australia
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 13.52.45.png

Allies
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 13.52.56.png

BROADCAST​

Live Stream:

Replay:

More info may appear here: U18s - AFL.com.au

Last edited by a moderator:

Kezza86

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Either you’ve got some wires crossed or I’m missing something?

You can’t match bids on ngas inside the top 40 picks.

Keelers a dead certainty to go inside the top 40.
Crows will look to draft him early. Just means a player will be traded to do so.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Others have covered most of this game, but...

Phoenix Foster was also good, particularly his work forward and around the ground. I'll be really interested to see how SA manages their KPP stocks over the remainder of the series. Any other year and Foster would probably be SA's starting full forward - and deservedly so given how he's started the year for Norwood. But Barnett will come straight back in, and Scully will get games. Then the question becomes whether they rotate and omit Lemmey for a game to give the others a chance, maybe Keeler plays higher up the ground. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Foster down back either, he has the athleticism, size and marking ability that will have clubs thinking about it.

I liked Fosters effort, but was confused why he was listed as First ruck, when I don’t think he is when he plays U18 SANFL.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Correct, he is a forward who chops out at best. Most hitouts in Under 18's he's had this year is 5.
I still really rate the athletic Will Verrall as a ruck prospect even though he hasn't really got going yet after having a managed preseason with groin issues.

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
I still really rate the athletic Will Verrall as a ruck prospect even though he hasn't really got going yet after having a managed preseason with groin issues.

Strongly agree, as a ruck he's a much better option than Foster and even more mobile.

Having said that, I thought Foster played pretty well and tried very hard. I'd keep him as a backup or forward if Barnett is back.

Banjo90

Draftee
May 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Still no replay...
I had to search far and wide, an organisation like the AFL should prioritise giving more exposure to their junior set ups, but the following link should work-

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I had to search far and wide, an organisation like the AFL should prioritise giving more exposure to their junior set ups, but the following link should work-

Great find! Thx.

Have the commentary team managed to learn the names this time 🧐 The vm vs vc commentary was pretty underwhelming.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Legend thanks, I had been searching hard but to no avail. Great find

Champion!

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Apart from those already mentioned, I really liked Jake Walker's game.
And considering just how little footy he's played the last few years with injuries I think there's still quite a bit to come with him.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Anywhere I can get the stats of the Under 18 champs games (starting with this one?)

Cheers

Rising South Australian midfielder Mattaes Phillipou put in a standout display in the Croweaters’ first under-18 national championships clash against the Allies on Sunday.
The 191cm midfielder tallied 23 disposals at 87 per cent efficiency, 16 contested possessions, a goal and a game-high 182 KFC SuperCoach points, impressing with his inside ball-winning, decision making and clean hands in traffic.

Phjillipou has shot into first round contention and is among the top prospects from South Australia after a stellar season for Woodville-West Torrens, where he has been a prolific possession winner at under-18 level and has managed to make his SANFL reserves debut.

The Croweaters were missing Kobe Ryan, Nick Sadler, Harry Barnett and Will Paton after the quartet entered Covid protocols but managed to open their account strongly with a 37-point win at Thebarton Oval.

Phillipou combined well with Eagles teammate Adam D’Aloia at the coalface, who won 18 disposals, nine tackles and 112 points.

South Australian key forward Isaac Keeler (three goals and 102 points) outshone highly touted tall Harry Lemmey, who kicked one major and had seven touches.

Adelaide father-son prospect Max Michalanney was efficient out of defence with 15 disposals at 87 per cent efficiency.

For the Allies, AFL Academy products Lachie Cowan (20 disposals, six tackles and 111 points) and Jason Gilbee (21 disposals, six marks and 96 points) provided dash and rebound as both continued their eye-catching campaigns to date.

Fellow AFL Academy and Lions father-son prospect Jaspa Fletcher, the son of Adrian, had 23 possessions, 107 points and kicked a long range goal from beyond the arc in an enhanced inside midfield role.

Giants Academy member Harry Rowston was arguably the Allies’ best, finishing with three goals, 24 disposals, eight marks and a team-high 116 points in a promising outing up forward and through the middle.

Fellow Giants linked ruckman Nick Madden, who has an imposing size at 204cm and 110kg, won the ruck battle

EVERY SUPERCOACH SCORE

Every SuperCoach score from the first match of the under-18 National Championships

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Mattaes.Phillipou 182

Adam D’Aloia 112

Isaac Keeler 102

Phoenix Foster 98

Jakob Ryan 93

Nathan Barkla 86

Billy Dowling 83

Jaiden Magor 83

Alex Holt 81

Jake Walker 81

Kelsey Rypstra 79

Jack Delean 72

Archie Lovelock 69

Harry Lemmey 69

Max Blacker 62

Max Michalanney 61

Adam Deakin 51

Blake Hansen 49

Oscar Kregar 44

Harvey Pedler 43

Brodie Tuck 36

Tyson Walls 36

Shaun Bennier 35

ALLIES

Harry Rowston 116

Lachie Cowan 110

Angus Anderson 107

Jaspa Fletcher 107

Jason Gilbee 94

Brinn Little 89

Colby McKercher 87

Caiden Cleary 86

Joshua Cooper 84

Jed Walter 83

Seth Campbell 82

Nick Madden 79

Tom McCallum 73

Luke Fellows 68

Will Edwards 65

Christian Webster 59

Luke Lawrence 55

Jared Eckersley 47

Angus Curry 35

Toby Murray 28

Ethan Grace 26

Anthony Munkara 9

Beau Tedcastle 7

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Finally a chance to do some player reviews:

SA:

Hansen
- Showed some good run and carry at times, is generally a good kick though did spray a few under pressure

Blacker - Similar to Hansen but a little more involved, showed good agility at times with an attacking mindset

Rypstra - Liked his game, really showed a desire at the contest, elite pressure and harassment of the ball carrier whilst getting it himself as well. Not much of him but he has that terrier like presence on the field.

Walls - Not anywhere near his best, he's better on ball but pushed to half back with the quality in the inside. Showed some run and dash at times with ok ball use but below his usual output. Got manhandled like an Auskicker by Walter.

J.Ryan - Good game, especially early with some strong marks across half back, always looked to be attacking and set up a few SA forward forrays.

Lovelock - Mixed game, some very good mixed with some bad, but was creative at times and difficult to get a hold of, dangerous with good goal sense. Disposal hit and miss but could develop into a Spargo type.

Walker - Had a solid second half after not seeing much gametime early on, driving SA forward with a number of centre clearances, he was important in the middle with great burst

Michalanney - Solid across half back intercepting at times. Did look to kick sideways most of the time after marking but did show good composure for the most part.

Delean - Not bad not great, no doubt he's got some talent which came through in glimpses, didn't look his usual dangerous self but worked up the ground well to get involved in the play and attacked the contest with vigour.

Magor -Probably SA's best player early on, lot of intercepts and steals, with good tackling pressure. Kicked a nice goal across his body from the pocket before getting injured in second half. Did mess a few disposals early as well but played an attacking brand which he always brings.

Holt - Really solid down back, he's got that rare trait of not panicking and that will carry him in good stead. Future leader and gun half back in the making considering he's got another year still. Has an AFL football brain and will go high next year.

Kregar - Didn't do a a great deal but thought when he had it, he was for the most part clean with the pill

Barkla - Impressive, not much of him but has the lightest feet you will see, extreme agility and quick change of direction with cat like balance when under pressure. Can make decisions far quicker than his peers. Not a big kick nor a powerful player but in congestion only needs the smallest gap and he's away.

Phillipou - No surprise SA's number 1 put in a BOG performance. It was a slow start by his standards but he really lifted in the second. Hard to stop in contest, constantly distributing the ball with high hands across his body and accurately as well. Kicked a ripper snap goal and was tough all day. Still below his damaging best however. He's going to make a wonderful AFL footballer with his size.

D'Aloia - Good game but down on what he brought last year as an underager. Tough inside and has an AFL build right now. Skills average, and was caught a few times trying to do too much but most times he did manage to get his hands free. He's very similar to Luke Dunstan but overall a better player and someone you will want in the trenches when the ball is to be won.

Pedler - Not bad at times, shows some tidy skills when he has it, kicks the ball well inside 50 with a good football brain. I think there is good upside to his game in the right system.

Dowling - Another who was good and solid without being great. Did a lot of grunt work, matched up on the very good Anderson for the most part. Exciting overall package with his size, essentially a lesser Phillipou.

Deakin - Not a bad game, worked into it well and marked well at times across half back and seemed to develop more confidence in himself as the game wore on and paired well with Holt rebounding for SA.

Tuck - Was ok at times, not as much of a threat as he normally is though but did intercept well a couple of times.Didn't go forward which I would have liked to have seen as he's good at both ends.

Keeler - Probably second best for SA behind Phillipou, he really worked into the game nicely with a split of time between forward and ruck. Looked a handful at times with his agility and marking power above his head and kicked for goal beautifully. I the ruck he mostly jumped over his opponent and worked around the ground with ease. Enormous upside if he can apply himself which is the only question.

Lemmey - Was just ok, still not looking right by his high standards. Took a few good marks but overall there was a slowness and cumbersome ness about him. He clearly moved better last year.

Foster - Thought he was suitably impressive and one of the best. Despite being undersized, competed well in ruck, never stopped trying and took a couple of top marks. Was good when the ball hit the deck as well. Reminded me of Troy Simmonds from yesteryear.

Bennier - Did his job in defence for the most part, there's a ruggedness to the way his plays, don't mind him.

Allies:

McKercher - Good game, he was super nippy and agile, real busy bee with good rebound and zip across the ground. More how Walls usually plays.

Tedcastle - Only a couple of touches with no real impact.

Cleary - Solid game and showed toughness inside for most of the day.

Curry - Can't recall him too much.

Grace - Limited impact.

Campbell - Pretty good game, took a nice mark as well and showed an AFL like game, ran hard and was always moving at pace.

Rowston - A real headache all day for SA and got the better of all his opponents for the most part, worked well between middle and forward, tough as nails and marked strongly.

Munkara - Massively disappointing game from him, basically invisible till the last term where he got a few cheapies on the wing.

Gillbee - Pretty good game across half back with countless rebounds and long kicks out of defence, mostly with good accuracy. Could be a weapon at AFL level in that role.

Fletcher - Was everywhere all game, and a hard matchup at times as his workrate was greater than most around him enabling him to get from contest to contest.

Lawrence - Not bad, had a bit of the ball at times and used it well, just would have liked more.

Cooper - Pretty good game across half back and looked to use it well.

Cowan - Very good off half back, lots of attacking kicks and line breaking runs and high in their best.

Anderson - Thought he was the best for the Allies, or close to with Rowston...massive inside, lots of clearances and outworked pretty much all the SA mids, was a man against boys for the most part. Plays an AFL game.

McCallum - Not bad, pretty good across half back at times I thought and was neat and tidy.

Fellows - Was reasonable without standing out.

Little - Really liked his game, thought he showed supreme judgement of the ball in flight, marked well 1 on 1 overhead. Big AFL potential as a KPD. High in their best, has gun potential.

Webster - Was ok but no huge impact.

Eckersley - Looked ok early but impact dropped off through the game.

Murray - Not bad in ruck at times, raw but gave good hitouts at times.

Edwards - Sound in defence and used his size well.

Walter - A truly enormous specimen and moved well too. A lot of power in the way he plays, suns have a ripper.

Madden - A man mountain, dominated the ruck due to his size but wayward handballs galore.

Back