U18 Champs South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Final squad of 25 announced for last two games:

Izak Rankine, Joel Smithson – West (2)
James Rowe, Cooper Gaffney, Andrew McPherson, Tom Schmusch, Jack Lukosius – Eagles (5)
Connor Rozee, Bryce Denham – North (2)
Stefan Giro, Isaac Hewson, Brodie Carroll, Harrison Petty - Norwood (4)
Alex Martini, Jackson Edwards, Brad McCarthy, Liam Denton, Sam Davis, Darcy Fogarty (6) - Glenelg
Jordan Houlahan, Mitch Crowden, Callum Coleman-Jones, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Charlie Ballard – Sturt (5)
Nathan Kreuger – South (1)

Bish,
Is this just for Vic M or Vic C? or both..
Im a bit confused as to why Sticks (coach) has continued to play bottom agers for full 4 games? When there are other top agers, who have been playing good enough football to get a run in the team. Wheres Pascoe and Gerloff for example.
Thats killing their chances, personally.
Sticks usually does better than this. We (SA) can't win champs so why not give top agers a go too see where they stand on top stage..

Bish,
Im a bit confused as to why Sticks (coach) has continued to play bottom agers for full 4 games? When there are other top agers, who have been playing good enough football to get a run in the team. Wheres Pascoe and Gerloff for example.
Sticks usually does better than this. We (SA) can't win champs so why not give top agers a go too see where they stand on top stage..

25 man squad for both games.

I'm a bit confused as to why Sticks (coach) has continued to play bottom agers for full 4 games? When there are other top agers, who have been playing good enough football to get a run in the team. Wheres Pascoe and Gerloff for example.
That's killing their chances, personally.

You're probably better off addressing these questions to Chris25....Given he's the S/A man on these boards.

Bish,

Phillips has always picked a team to win, and one that follows a particular structure. SA doesn't tend to rotate players as much as other sides.

In terms of the underage players, it's because they are clearly better than everyone else. Rankine, Lukosius and Rozee would be about the first 3 players picked. I know you like Gerloff, but he's not a like for like replacement for any of those three. He's also not the only player to miss out completely. And it's hard to argue with Smithson or Gaffney being named, they've been just as good. If not better.

I do think Pascoe is hard done by, he's been one of the dominant reserves players this year. But someone is always unlucky. On the flip side, it's given Carroll a chance to impress. And hopefully Kreuger a shot now.

There's still a slim chance SA could win the whole thing. And so they should be picking their strongest side.

I'm a bit confused as to why Sticks (coach) has continued to play bottom agers for full 4 games? When there are other top agers, who have been playing good enough football to get a run in the team. Wheres Pascoe and Gerloff for example.
That's killing their chances, personally.
Phillips has always picked a team to win, and one that follows a particular structure. SA doesn't tend to rotate players as much as other sides.

In terms of the underage players, it's because they are clearly better than everyone else. Rankine, Lukosius and Rozee would be about the first 3 players picked. I know you like Gerloff, but he's not a like for like replacement for any of those three. He's also not the only player to miss out completely. And it's hard to argue with Smithson or Gaffney being named, they've been just as good. If not better.

I do think Pascoe is hard done by, he's been one of the dominant reserves players this year. But someone is always unlucky. On the flip side, it's given Carroll a chance to impress. And hopefully Kreuger a shot now.

There's still a slim chance SA could win the whole thing. And so they should be picking their strongest side.

Yeah i completely forgot about Smithson and Gaffney. Both unlucky too.

The test will be this weekend against Vic Metro, if we lose that then we can't obviously win. This is my issue. Why pick a squad for the next two weeks? If we lose to Metro, I feel other guys should come in for the last game and thats when bottom agers come out.
Is the squad staying in Melbourne for the two weeks (in between Metro and Country game), maybe if thats the case I understand picking the 25 man squad for the two weeks... Do you know if they're staying in VIC?

Numbers don't lie i suppose, so if the likes of Pascoe, Smithson, Gaffney, Charlton and Gerloff keep getting numbers, they will receive viewers.
I do like Gerloff as you said but thats only cause I've seen him play a few schoolboys and u18's, and stands out for mine across all the levels with bulk numbers. Im certainly not trying to favour him if its coming off that way... I apologise.

I'm no expert on underage football but I would've thought Pascoe would be best 22, letalone 25. Saw him dominate an under 18 grand final as an under 16 which had the likes of Partington, Stengle, Surman and Brennan Cox playing. Has played league football since as well as dominating the reserves. Seems extremely unlucky.

I'm no expert on underage football but I would've thought Pascoe would be best 22, letalone 25. Saw him dominate an under 18 grand final as an under 16 which had the likes of Partington, Stengle, Surman and Brennan Cox playing. Has played league football since as well as dominating the reserves. Seems extremely unlucky.

Probably the stiffest in the SA 40 man squad not to at least make the 25 man travel squad for Melbourne.
Numbers have been good again this season for Pascoe, he is the most dominate defender in SANFL u18 and even reserves. Bit puzzled why sticks hasn't picked him. Some stats from Reserves: 31 touches vs Centrals, 28 touches vs West Adelaide (5 tackles), 21 touches vs South (6 tackles), 24 touches vs Glenelg and he is averaging around 20 kicks a game.
In a last ditch effort to make the travel squad from Melb, last week he played u18s level and he got 40 touches, 31 kicks, 13 rebounds 50s vs South.
He is playing Reserves this week with Gerloff, I will be going to watch that.

Playing in his position is Zerk-Thatcher and Petty, they have been solid with their games so far and have held their spot, nothing wrong to be dropped. Sticks also likes the look of Brodie Carroll across half back as well as Isaac Hewson. Both have been solid and done enough at u18s level but probably nothing numbers wise like Pascoe.

Be interesting to see if he receives a National Draft Combine spot, if not be sure to watch the State Screenings, the man will be on a mission.

Probably the stiffest in the SA 40 man squad not to at least make the 25 man travel squad for Melbourne.
Numbers have been good again this season for Pascoe, he is the most dominate defender in SANFL u18 and even reserves. Bit puzzled why sticks hasn't picked him. Some stats from Reserves: 31 touches vs Centrals, 28 touches vs West Adelaide (5 tackles), 21 touches vs South (6 tackles), 24 touches vs Glenelg and he is averaging around 20 kicks a game.
In a last ditch effort to make the travel squad from Melb, last week he played u18s level and he got 40 touches, 31 kicks, 13 rebounds 50s vs South.
He is playing Reserves this week with Gerloff, I will be going to watch that.

Playing in his position is Zerk-Thatcher and Petty, they have been solid with their games so far and have held their spot, nothing wrong to be dropped. Sticks also likes the look of Brodie Carroll across half back as well as Isaac Hewson. Both have been solid and done enough at u18s level but probably nothing numbers wise like Pascoe.

Be interesting to see if he receives a National Draft Combine spot, if not be sure to watch the State Screenings, the man will be on a mission.

Told him his defence was terrible and left it at that. No word on how to improve or areas for development. Real classy Brenton. Could have used Pascoe yesterday me thinks!

Why didnt SA ask to play Ian Milera as an overager? He is in line to be drafted one would think and so exposure for him could be important.

A funny one. Playing elite level Senior SANFL football this season with Glenelg. 23 goals for the season and top 5 for the Ken Farmer Medal (most goals in the comp).Him and Terry are loving playing together up forward and causing serious stress for defenders. He scored 2 against Adelaide Crows Reserves and apparently after this Crows have been following him and meeting up with him (apparently) to talk. I feel he will get invited to the State Combine testing.
I do agree the exposure at National u18 level would of no doubt helped his case even more.
It does seem weird that we asked to have Mitch Coles (Norwood) as one of our 2 overages and he hasn't played yet (not sure if he has been injured but struggling to recent stats on him played Ressies last week but before that couldn't find anything)
Zerk-Thatcher was our other one, and I thought so far he has had a solid carnival down back.

A funny one. Playing elite level Senior SANFL football this season with Glenelg. 23 goals for the season and top 5 for the Ken Farmer Medal (most goals in the comp).Him and Terry are loving playing together up forward and causing serious stress for defenders. He scored 2 against Adelaide Crows Reserves and apparently after this Crows have been following him and meeting up with him (apparently) to talk. I feel he will get invited to the State Combine testing.
I do agree the exposure at National u18 level would of no doubt helped his case even more.
It does seem weird that we asked to have Mitch Coles (Norwood) as one of our 2 overages and he hasn't played yet (not sure if he has been injured but struggling to recent stats on him played Ressies last week but before that couldn't find anything)
Zerk-Thatcher was our other one, and I thought so far he has had a solid carnival down back.
Yeah I was a bit miffed by it. It also may have been good for Jonty as well, as he has been playing very well at SANFL. He should have got picked up last year. Rumour was he had an attitude problem that clubs didnt want a bar of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why didnt SA ask to play Ian Milera as an overager? He is in line to be drafted one would think and so exposure for him could be important.

The 19 year old rule is generally for those who missed out in their draft year for whatever reason, be it injury or being a late developer.

Ian Milera was in the SA squad last year, just didn't play. So I'm not sure that really qualifies as a good enough reason. While obviously Jonty played last year.

Your thoughts on young Harrison Petty Chris25?....His game against Vic Metro really caught my eye....Seems to be a beautifully balanced & well composed key position prospect, with neat skills & a keen eye for reading the game.

I must say, I'm rather shocked that he's not featured in anyone's top 50 calculations to date....I'D have him inside my top 30 players, based upon that performance....Seems to have all the tools that will transfer well to the A.F.L.

I like Petty, he's really stood up since the SA trial games and gotten better with the extra responsibility. Played both as a defender and ruckman in the SANFL, so he'll be enjoying being settled into one role.

In terms of draft position, Kaiden Brand went at #66 and Luke Surman #18 in the Rookie Draft. Which you'd obviously know as a Hawks fan. I don't think he's too dissimilar a prospect to either of them. Off the top of my head, I have him around 48 or something.

Bit of a joke that Pascoe isn't playing. Sure he didn't have the best game against WA but he was far from alone. Rankine and possibly Giro aside when counting everyones form leading into the champs, he'd probably be the 3rd best in form player of the entire squad across the diff levels!!! and since being dropped he's slaughtered an Under 18 game and again had a strong reserves game. His rebound is pretty important. Must have been caught with Stick's wife or something.

Bit of a joke that Pascoe isn't playing. Sure he didn't have the best game against WA but he was far from alone. Rankine and possibly Giro aside when counting everyones form leading into the champs, he'd probably be the 3rd best in form player of the entire squad across the diff levels!!! and since being dropped he's slaughtered an Under 18 game and again had a strong reserves game. His rebound is pretty important. Must have been caught with Stick's wife or something.

Lachie was told by his manager Peter Rhode that an AFL scout said it was the best 'defensive' he has seen him play.

Petty is a ripper, he'd be the MVP for us atm the way he's been going. Very consistent games.

On that note of SA MVP, was trying to think of who's in line for that...
Giro and Edwards been named in the best in every game (didn't get our best against Metro though), possibly between them? With the likes of Petty, CCJ close behind.

Rankine almost by the length of the flemington straight.

Love Flemington straight! A lot can happen from the turn to the finish.

Has SA ever awarded an underage the MVP? I think that could be the only thing possibly stopping that happening.

I like Petty, he's really stood up since the SA trial games and gotten better with the extra responsibility. Played both as a defender and ruckman in the SANFL, so he'll be enjoying being settled into one role.

In terms of draft position, Kaiden Brand went at #66 and Luke Surman #18 in the Rookie Draft. Which you'd obviously know as a Hawks fan. I don't think he's too dissimilar a prospect to either of them. Off the top of my head, I have him around 48 or something.

That kind of poise, balance & composure is instinctive & won't be disappearing overnight.

Brand is coming along nicely & just played his best game yet against Coll'wood on the Weekend; Whereas Surman has left with home-sickness & been de-listed by mutual agreement.....A handy rookie pick-up for one of the S.A teams this draft year I'd imagine.....Excellent contested mark & reader of the ball while in the air.

If Petty isn't top 30 this year, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back