Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:p Back off from kenners. He is my number one target for port.

Dogs probably won't have any live picks until late b/c of West and Khamis (reckon both get bidded on before pick 30). So I don't think we will cause any problems with him getting to Port. Got 16 other clubs to worry about :p

Think Kennerley could go about 20-40 from what I've seen of him.

If Connor Rozee averaged 25 touches, he'd be in Pick 1 conversation IMO. It's a shame he doesn't win much of it, because he's calm, composed, uses it really well, obviously outside but he has the skills to go with it. Just 8-12 touches per game production wise is a bit too low. You can tell he's all class though.

I'm sure that Adelaide are very keen to see him played in a permanent forward role only.;)

2018: Lukosius, Rankine, Hately, Rozee, Valente, Kennerly, Lewis, Sparrow, Munn
2019: Sladojevic, Gould, Pickett, Taheny
2020: Edwards, Borlase, Dudley, Durdin, Baldwin
Plenty of SA talent coming through good to see.
Keep your eye on taheny..rostrevor lad with bags of talent. A parent mentioned he might have links to port because he is at norwood and they are part of ports academy zone..is he involved with their academy?

2019: Sladojevic, Gould, Pickett, Taheny
2020: Edwards, Borlase, Dudley, Durdin, Baldwin

Can add Dylan Stephens for 2019, and Will Schreiber for 2020.

I've got big wraps on Taheny. Reminds me a little of a Collingwood rookie I insisted was the #1 player in last years draft.

Chris25 What do you know about Panther midfielder Tyler Davies continually racks up big clearance numbers in the U18's? Is he just an inside bull or is he more than that?

Hi Chris25
Port has access to both Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick's through the NGA.

What are your thoughts on their strengths, weaknesses and scope for improvement? Are they a chance to slide through to be Cat B rookies or perhaps deserving of a list spot?

what do you think about Riley Grundy, Kade Chandler, Mihail Lochowiak and Oscar Chapman for 2018?
Having watched these lads here is my view:
Grundy- raw, but a real competitive streak, gets to a lot of contests with some closing speed, great size for a defender and good leap. Has played well and will hopefully be the match up on B King, which could well see his stocks rise
Chandler- gotta love the effort and is hard. Size may be an issue and I’m not sure he’s been played in his best position, needs a good game tomorrow to showcase his hard work.
Lochowiak - has some real potential with his creativity off half back, loves to take on the opposition on the rebound. Problem is last few games he has ended up in trouble a few times and can burn his disposal giving it back a few too many times. But with continued development could be an exciting prospect.
Chapman - has an X factor with his aerial marking, creativity around goal and his forward pressure this season has been outstanding. Probably needs to get a bit more of it to showcase this but with a top end talent laden SA forward line seems to play his role. Chances to improve his stocks with the possibility of getting off the leash tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly the best team at the Championships this year. It's looking like a bumper year for SA, could make a case for probably about 20 players to be drafted. I've got 4 in my top 10, 6 in my top 20 and 8 in my top 30. With a handful more in my top 50 if I extended.

I won't bother talking much about Izak Rankine (#1) and Jack Lukosius (#2). Best small and best tall in the draft. Rankine is head and shoulders above Cam Rayner in my opinion, I've no doubt he would have won the Rising Star this year as a 17 year old. And Lukosius is the best tall I've seen in a long time, I saw someone say he was too uncontested. That's not true at all. He just didn't get to show off his contested marking, because no U18 defender could get near him.

Also in my top 10, I have Connor Rozee (#7) and Jackson Hately (#10). Rozee was probably a bit down on his overall impact at the Championships, with the last game being his best. But when you look at his whole body of work, the impact he can have is up there with the best. Arguably the best field kick in the draft. I'd rather 10 of his touches than 20 from some other players. While Hately is a ready made midfielder. Can play both inside and out. His outside game was good against Vic Metro. When he has time and space, his disposal isn't a problem at all. Actually quite a nice long kick. It's just in close, he can be a bit rushed.

I have the two inside bulls in Tom Lewis (#15) and Luke Valente (#17) rounding out the Croweaters in my top 20. For me, Lewis is as good as any inside midfielder in the draft. Wins his own ball, tackles hard and disposes well. Being on the shorter side is his only real drawback. And with Valente, you know exactly what you're getting. Jacob Kennerley (#26) had a ripper Championships, averaging 18 touches as an outside midfielder. Playing off a wing, he added a lot of run to a quality inside midfield. While the star down back alongside the underaged Gould, was half back Jez McLennan (#30). Reads the play amazingly well, perhaps not the most exciting rebounder but as solid as you'll get with his intercept marking and disposal.

As for the others...

Ben Jarvis - the biggest and nicest surprise of the Championships for me. I'd happily use a second round pick on the 188cm medium forward. When he wasn't pinch hitting in the ruck, he looked a natural forward. Found space and marked strongly, powerful athlete too. Looks like he has to work with and plenty of development to come.

Oscar Chapman - the other medium forward, he was talked about as a draft smokey last year and I think teams will be wishing they took the risk. Overaged player, but still raw and underdeveloped. But another who leads well, and has a bit of Jack Gunston about the way he moves. Natural leading forward and mark of the ball. Should be a national draft pick.

Tom Sparrow - for me, some people overreacted after the opening game against WA by talking about him as a potential first rounder. But I think it was his last game that was more impressive, because he showed he has versatility and that he isn't just an inside ball winner. On the link up, he showed power and his kicking was very good. He has deceptive speed. A solid Championships, and should be in that 30-50 mix.

Martin Frederick - super raw, but so exciting and talented. Some of his run from the back half was beautiful to watch, even if he does sometimes get himself into trouble. When I read some people talking about Quaynor as a top 20 pick, I just think how I'd much rather use a late pick on someone like Frederick and develop him myself. Even if it might take a bit longer. Be interesting to see whether anyone bids, but I'd expect Port to match.

Hugo Munn - showed glimpses of his ability at the Championships, probably let down by the fact he didn't get to settle in one position and be the focal point. But well and truly in that group of talls that'll be looked at come the second round. Strong and good overhead, I still think the back lines is his best bet. But the ability to go into the ruck too shouldn't be overlooked, and in the middle he's a decent athlete with good skills.

Riley Grundy - lost the match up against Ben King, but otherwise held up well down back. There are a few tall defenders around the country that'll be considered mid draft options, and Grundy will be in the mix on the back of his athleticism and range. Having his brother play decent football won't hurt too.

Aaron Nietschke - not someone who'll get a lot of attention, but clubs may like the appeal more than the casual observer. He goes about his business and does a job every week. Ball magnet midfielder in the SANFL, he was solid across half back for SA. Depending on how late teams are picking, he may feature or be a rookie pick.

Hayden Sampson - a highly regarded junior in SA, played every game and was solid with the occasional glimpse of something more. A natural around goals, but can also play across half back. He's the type of player that could climb into the middle of some draft boards.

I could go on, but those are the guys I expect are in national draft contention. With more as rookie options - James Siviour as a solid and well performing ruck/forward, Tyler Martin was good as a medium defender, Mihail Lochowiak and Kai Pudney should both be rookie listed by Adelaide and Port respectively.

Clearly the best team at the Championships this year. It's looking like a bumper year for SA, could make a case for probably about 20 players to be drafted. I've got 4 in my top 10, 6 in my top 20 and 8 in my top 30. With a handful more in my top 50 if I extended.

I won't bother talking much about Izak Rankine (#1) and Jack Lukosius (#2). Best small and best tall in the draft. Rankine is head and shoulders above Cam Rayner in my opinion, I've no doubt he would have won the Rising Star this year as a 17 year old. And Lukosius is the best tall I've seen in a long time, I saw someone say he was too uncontested. That's not true at all. He just didn't get to show off his contested marking, because no U18 defender could get near him.

Also in my top 10, I have Connor Rozee (#7) and Jackson Hately (#10). Rozee was probably a bit down on his overall impact at the Championships, with the last game being his best. But when you look at his whole body of work, the impact he can have is up there with the best. Arguably the best field kick in the draft. I'd rather 10 of his touches than 20 from some other players. While Hately is a ready made midfielder. Can play both inside and out. His outside game was good against Vic Metro. When he has time and space, his disposal isn't a problem at all. Actually quite a nice long kick. It's just in close, he can be a bit rushed.

I have the two inside bulls in Tom Lewis (#15) and Luke Valente (#17) rounding out the Croweaters in my top 20. For me, Lewis is as good as any inside midfielder in the draft. Wins his own ball, tackles hard and disposes well. Being on the shorter side is his only real drawback. And with Valente, you know exactly what you're getting. Jacob Kennerley (#26) had a ripper Championships, averaging 18 touches as an outside midfielder. Playing off a wing, he added a lot of run to a quality inside midfield. While the star down back alongside the underaged Gould, was half back Jez McLennan (#30). Reads the play amazingly well, perhaps not the most exciting rebounder but as solid as you'll get with his intercept marking and disposal.

As for the others...

Ben Jarvis - the biggest and nicest surprise of the Championships for me. I'd happily use a second round pick on the 188cm medium forward. When he wasn't pinch hitting in the ruck, he looked a natural forward. Found space and marked strongly, powerful athlete too. Looks like he has to work with and plenty of development to come.

Oscar Chapman - the other medium forward, he was talked about as a draft smokey last year and I think teams will be wishing they took the risk. Overaged player, but still raw and underdeveloped. But another who leads well, and has a bit of Jack Gunston about the way he moves. Natural leading forward and mark of the ball. Should be a national draft pick.

Tom Sparrow - for me, some people overreacted after the opening game against WA by talking about him as a potential first rounder. But I think it was his last game that was more impressive, because he showed he has versatility and that he isn't just an inside ball winner. On the link up, he showed power and his kicking was very good. He has deceptive speed. A solid Championships, and should be in that 30-50 mix.

Martin Frederick - super raw, but so exciting and talented. Some of his run from the back half was beautiful to watch, even if he does sometimes get himself into trouble. When I read some people talking about Quaynor as a top 20 pick, I just think how I'd much rather use a late pick on someone like Frederick and develop him myself. Even if it might take a bit longer. Be interesting to see whether anyone bids, but I'd expect Port to match.

Hugo Munn - showed glimpses of his ability at the Championships, probably let down by the fact he didn't get to settle in one position and be the focal point. But well and truly in that group of talls that'll be looked at come the second round. Strong and good overhead, I still think the back lines is his best bet. But the ability to go into the ruck too shouldn't be overlooked, and in the middle he's a decent athlete with good skills.

Riley Grundy - lost the match up against Ben King, but otherwise held up well down back. There are a few tall defenders around the country that'll be considered mid draft options, and Grundy will be in the mix on the back of his athleticism and range. Having his brother play decent football won't hurt too.

Aaron Nietschke - not someone who'll get a lot of attention, but clubs may like the appeal more than the casual observer. He goes about his business and does a job every week. Ball magnet midfielder in the SANFL, he was solid across half back for SA. Depending on how late teams are picking, he may feature or be a rookie pick.

Hayden Sampson - a highly regarded junior in SA, played every game and was solid with the occasional glimpse of something more. A natural around goals, but can also play across half back. He's the type of player that could climb into the middle of some draft boards.

I could go on, but those are the guys I expect are in national draft contention. With more as rookie options - James Siviour as a solid and well performing ruck/forward, Tyler Martin was good as a medium defender, Mihail Lochowiak and Kai Pudney should both be rookie listed by Adelaide and Port respectively.
Plenty for clubs to work with in regards to Jarvis I’ll be suprised if he doesn’t get picked up. McLennan like you said doesn’t really excite as much but I think he will be a coaches pet at AFL level with his no nonsense and dependable style of play.

As for the others...

Thanks for that.

Will you be sharing your entire rankings (top 50?) anytime soon?

Spent most of the championships wanting to discount Jarvis. Then he keeps showing up and making you stand up and take notice, certainly worth a sneak late round selection.

Thanks for that.

Will you be sharing your entire rankings (top 50?) anytime soon?

I will eventually. Still working my way through WA and the Allies properly.

Spent most of the championships wanting to discount Jarvis. Then he keeps showing up and making you stand up and take notice, certainly worth a sneak late round selection.

Unfortunately, he'd been playing as the #1 ruckman for the Norwood U18s. You can only learn so much about a player when he's playing a role he has absolutely no chance of doing at any higher level. So hopefully he goes back and can play more as a forward. If he does that, then who knows how the draft will pan out. Josh Begley stormed home and went at #31 as a medium forward/midfielder.

2019: Sladojevic, Gould, Pickett, Taheny, Stephens
2020: Edwards, Borlase, Schreiber, Durdin, Baldwin, Thilthorpe
2021: Dudley
I actually like Zac Dumesny for 2020 as well.

First look at Kennerley in the Champs. Watching him I saw a lot of Mitch Duncan in him. Nice size for a mid and neat. Would love him at the Cats. Liked what I saw. I see you projected him probably 20-40?

Glad you have Rozee so high, really warming to him as a prospect and he's firmly in the frame for the Bulldogs first round pick.
I don't think an apparent lack of production will be too much of a drawback as most drafters tend to lean towards ceiling more than anything else.

Glad you have Rozee so high, really warming to him as a prospect and he's firmly in the frame for the Bulldogs first round pick.
I don't think an apparent lack of production will be too much of a drawback as most drafters tend to lean towards ceiling more than anything else.

In the 5-20 range, I'm finding I have a lot of midfielders who win plenty of the ball and have potential to be good players. But simply none of them have the skills of Rozee and that ability to be a match winner. Clubs who look at his entire body of work will still rightfully have him up high.

First look at Kennerley in the Champs. Watching him I saw a lot of Mitch Duncan in him. Nice size for a mid and neat. Would love him at the Cats. Liked what I saw. I see you projected him probably 20-40?

Kennerley is a guy who may not ever be a star midfielder, but could be a solid contributor for a long time. Like a Richard Douglas from Adelaide. He's played 230 games, who knew? Neat is a good way to describe Kennerley. Goes about his business, gets his 20 or so touches and can play any number of roles. He's comparing well to some other second/third round draft picks of late.

This will still be a predominantly South Australian thread, but I may as well post my top 30...

1. Izak Rankine (180cm, 76kg from West Adelaide)
2. Jack Lukosius (193cm, 84kg from Woodville West Torrens)
3. Sam Walsh (183cm, 74kg from Geelong Falcons)
4. Ben King (202cm, 85kg from Sandringham Dragons)
5. Nick Blakey (195cm, 80kg from UNSW)
6. Tarryn Thomas (189cm, 73kg from North Launceston)
7. Connor Rozee (185cm, 71kg from North Adelaide)
8. Bailey Smith (185cm, 82kg from Sandringham Dragons)
9. Chayce Jones (180cm, 74kg from Launceston)
10. Jackson Hately (189cm, 80kg from Cental Districts)

11. Max King (201cm, 86kg from Sandringham Dragons)
12. Curtis Taylor (186cm, 79kg from Calder Cannons)
13. Riley Collier-Dawkins (193cm, 88kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
14. Jye Caldwell (184cm, 78kg from Bendigo Pioneers)
15. Tom Lewis (178cm, 80kg from Sturt)
16. Ian Hill (175cm, 76kg from Perth)
17. Luke Valente (186cm, 79kg from Norwood)
18. Liam Stocker (184cm, 83kg from Sandringham Dragons)
19. Bailey Williams (198cm, 95kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
20. Zak Butters (181cm, 70kg from Western Jets)

21. Tom McKenzie (184cm, 76kg from Northern Knights)
22. Jordan Clark (182cm, 78kg from Claremont)
23. Connor McFadyen (190cm, 88kg from Wilston Grange)
24. Bailey Scott (186cm, 74kg from Broadbeach)
25. Ned McHenry (176cm, 71kg from Geelong Falcons)
26. Jacob Kennerley (184cm, 75kg from Norwood)
27. Kieran Briggs (200cm, 98kg from Pennant Hills)
28. Rhylee West (180cm, 80kg from Calder Cannons)
29. Jack Bytel (187cm, 81kg from Calder Cannons)
30. Jez McLennan (183cm, 80kg from Central Districts)

Buku Khamis, Isaac Quaynor & Daly Andrews are all top 30 locks, I'd have thought.

Can't see either of Briggs or McHenry going Top 30.

At the moment, I have Isaac Quaynor at #31. I know he's highly rated amongst clubs and scouts, and chances are he'll go on to have a long career as a small defender. But I just can't get excited about drafting a back pocket that high, not first round at least. Would I rather Quaynor in the first round or McLennan in the second? I know what I'd do.

Buku Khamis looks a nice player to work with, I'd consider bidding around the third round. But for me, someone like Connor McFadyen is the better prospect and more versatile. And I'd be bidding on him first. Daly Andrews doesn't really interest me that early.

As for the other two, I thought if anything I had Ned McHenry a bit low. While Kieran Briggs is my #2 ruck in the draft, below Bailey Williams purely on potential and not performance. Probably doesn't go that high, but it's just where I rank him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back