Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff.
What does Jones do better than West in your opinion?
Thanks

The main difference between the two for me is in their instinctual play. When Chayce Jones gets the ball in close, he'll look to run it out and create. Whereas Rhylee West is more the give and go type player, he'll get the ball and use his hands to get it to someone else. So that's what I like more in Jones. He'll back himself in to run and get the ball moving. He's the more attacking player of the two. And his outside game as a whole is a level above that of of West. He's clean picking the ball up on the run, and can be the more dangerous of the two going forward.

West's biggest strength is his quick hands in close and ability to stand up through tackles. Which will hold him in very good stead, and it should translate to the next level. He'll be the bigger possession winner and would be the safer of the two. But there's something about Jones I like.

Chris25 Finn Betterman, ranked 11th in ranking points out of all Champs players going into the Vic Metro match (av 117). Best game v Allies with 17 D, 1 goal and 10 T. 3rd most touches for SA v Vic Country too. Would of liked him to continue that form from Game 2 and 3 going into Game 4, but couldn't really find it, still 4 T and pressure acts in top 3.
Has surely put his name into the hat to re think where he sits. Genuine Rookie chance now, if he backs up numbers for back half of season and in the reserves too. Can see him getting looked at intently for a rookie spot. Stoppage craft is top level. Thoughts?

Betterman would be a rookie chance, with a good finish to the season a club might take a liking. He's one of those good at most things type player, but not particularly great in any one area. And he doesn't have the ideal size where you take that punt on his development. I feel like he's behind a few other players - Sampson, Sparrow, Nietschke, Woodcock, Pudney, Lochowiak.

Chris, or anyone else, do you want to weigh in with an evaluation/opinion on Oscar Chapman?

He caught my attention in the televised games. There's something there in my opinion.?

There's definitely something there. There were a few clubs sniffing around him last year, and that was based on just school football. I actually thought he'd be rookie listed. But now having played Championships, and having had a solid season in the SANFL, I doubt he'll be available as a rookie anymore. I think he'll get picked up somewhere around the third round.

Good size for a medium forward, plays very well as that link up tall across half forward and even up onto a wing. Athletically strong with good speed, he has sticky hands and can kick over 50m. Despite being an overaged player, it certainly looks as though there is plenty of development to come.

Glad you have Rozee so high, really warming to him as a prospect and he's firmly in the frame for the Bulldogs first round pick.
I don't think an apparent lack of production will be too much of a drawback as most drafters tend to lean towards ceiling more than anything else.
Where was it said that we were interested in him? I missed it I think.

Where was it said that we were interested in him? I missed it I think.
On Woof, overheard from Bulldogs staff at Etihad. His name was mentioned multiple times.

Chris where do you think Fraser Turner goes?

Well, I picked him at #34 in the BigFooty draft...might be at the top of his range, around the 30-50 maybe. I like him though.

Pick 34 Sydney - Fraser Turner (186cm, 75kg from Clarence)

I do like my Division 2 players, and after passing on Chayce Jones to see where he fell to, I should probably take Tasmania's other draft chance here. He was the youngest player at the Championships this year, draft eligible by just 5 days. And there is a real growing trend to the idea that late birthdays have more development in them.

Purely an outside midfielder at the moment, Turner has a nice turn of speed and will run all day on a wing. And at a good size, he ticks most of the boxes for the position. His work rate sees him rack up the touches on the outside. Pushing forward, he can be dangerous and kicked a couple of nice goals for the Allies at close to full speed. Not the most damaging player in terms of elite skills, his kicking is handy. Definitely a role for him, and should be a lot of improvement to come.

Interesting Valente, Kennerley and Jarvis named in the U18's for Norwood, meanwhile Boyd Woodcock [North] and Jez McLennan [Centrals] in for their 1st game against the "men" in the SANFL. Rankine named on the HB/f for West.

Interesting Valente, Kennerley and Jarvis named in the U18's for Norwood, meanwhile Boyd Woodcock [North] and Jez McLennan [Centrals] in for their 1st game against the "men" in the SANFL. Rankine named on the HB/f for West.

Not surprised by that in the least....Jez already plays like a senior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main difference between the two for me is in their instinctual play. When Chayce Jones gets the ball in close, he'll look to run it out and create. Whereas Rhylee West is more the give and go type player, he'll get the ball and use his hands to get it to someone else. So that's what I like more in Jones. He'll back himself in to run and get the ball moving. He's the more attacking player of the two. And his outside game as a whole is a level above that of of West. He's clean picking the ball up on the run, and can be the more dangerous of the two going forward.

West's biggest strength is his quick hands in close and ability to stand up through tackles. Which will hold him in very good stead, and it should translate to the next level. He'll be the bigger possession winner and would be the safer of the two. But there's something about Jones I like.
Jones will be able to play forward , back , wing and inside at AFL level and get the job done

West will be a gun but as an inside mid in the mould of M crouch or Mitchell

Gee they're both good players , I like Jones too though for his versatility and rounded game

Tries hard, but in the main out muscled by the bigger bodied SANFL Rucks. Boy against men.
Thanks for that. Not particularly surprising as he'd only previously played one senior game before the SANFL stint, I'm sure it was a valuable experience though.

HI Chris
Thanks for your insights always interesting to read your contribution.
The Baggers are likely to end with pick 1 so how does Silvagni move?
Lukosius is so tempting almost impossible to pass him.
Whom will we select?

Maybe because Norwood have the best midfield in the comp? Plus Norwood are currently in a 3 way battle to make the U18 Finals, so paramount before those 3 boys go back to Rostrevor (school football) that they win matches. Be shocking if Norwood don't make the u18 finals.

HI Chris
Thanks for your insights always interesting to read your contribution.
The Baggers are likely to end with pick 1 so how does Silvagni move?
Lukosius is so tempting almost impossible to pass him.
Whom will we select?

For me, it's between Jack Lukosius and Sam Walsh. Not particularly insightful since they're the top two players, but hopefully Silvagni doesn't get blinded by one of the King twins. At first I thought about advocating a trade down, but they wouldn't be able to trade for any player good enough to justify moving down.

I think I'd be going for Sam Walsh. I'm very much of the mindset that you build from the midfield. Sam Petrevski-Seton, Paddy Dow, Lochie O'Brien and Zac Fisher are all shaping as good (outside) midfielders. But they need someone to do the hard stuff alongside Patrick Cripps, and Walsh would immediately become Carlton's second best midfielder.

As good as Jack Lukosius may be, they have Charlie Curnow already filling that role and he should be the forward they build everything around.

3 goals in the seniors to Rozee, I still think he goes top 10 at the end of the year

Was he ever not going top 10? No way there are 5 players more talented than him, let alone 10.

But to bring this thread back to it's South Australian roots. Some stats for the weekend...

Seniors
Izak Rankine - 10 touches, 5 tackles, 1 goal
Jack Lukosius - 8 touches, 5 marks, 3 tackles
Hugo Munn - 7 touches, 2 marks
Jackson Hately - 22 touches, 5 marks
Jez McLennan - 15 touches, 5 marks
Connor Rozee - 11 touches, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 3 goals
Boyd Woodcock - 16 touches, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Reserves
Tobin Cox - 22 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 8 inside 50s, 6 goals
Martin Frederick - 20 touches, 9 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Mihail Lochowiak - 19 touches, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal
Tom Lewis - 28 touches, 12 tackles, 7 inside 50s, 1 goal
Hayden Sampson - 18 touches, 4 marks, 1 goal
Oscar Chapman - 14 touches, 10 marks, 1 goal

U18s
Jake Tarca - 14 touches, 4 marks, 6 goals
Luke Valente - 30 touches, 8 marks, 6 tackles, 2 goals
Jacob Kennerley - 27 touches, 12 marks, 11 inside 50s, 1 goal
Ben Jarvis - 11 touches, 6 marks, 17 hitouts, 1 goal

For me, it's between Jack Lukosius and Sam Walsh. Not particularly insightful since they're the top two players, but hopefully Silvagni doesn't get blinded by one of the King twins. At first I thought about advocating a trade down, but they wouldn't be able to trade for any player good enough to justify moving down.

I think I'd be going for Sam Walsh. I'm very much of the mindset that you build from the midfield. Sam Petrevski-Seton, Paddy Dow, Lochie O'Brien and Zac Fisher are all shaping as good (outside) midfielders. But they need someone to do the hard stuff alongside Patrick Cripps, and Walsh would immediately become Carlton's second best midfielder.

As good as Jack Lukosius may be, they have Charlie Curnow already filling that role and he should be the forward they build everything around.
I really see Smith as a better option than Walsh for the Blues.

Thanks Chrisnfir your time and insights, it's much appreciated.

Good post :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back