Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More scouts in Victoria, means more Victorian invites.
Memo went out to AFL clubs several weeks ago to submit their lists for the State Combines according to an AFL scout I was talking to at the game at Mars Stadium a fortnight ago so I expect the names of those invitees will be released pretty soon?

Interesting too that of the 80 invitees to the National Combine 17 are up for grabs/bids as father/son, Northern Academy/NGA Academy prospects.

More scouts in Victoria, means more Victorian invites.
Its more likely that an interstate player not invited to the combine is taken top 50 than it is for TAC players not invited to the combine and i think its for that reason that they see them so much that they can easily say yes or no, harder to get a definitive opinion on a player with less people to watch them.

SA had more talented kids on the park than Vic Country did. The Vic country team was woeful.
Now, hows that spud Lewis going to go in the draft?

Unfortunately the AFL Scouts/Recruiters don't seem to agree with your assessment because theirs is the final say as to who gets an invite is my understanding of the procedure?

VC's
Dandenong Stingray Sam Fletcher missed the cut for the VC invitees too, there's always a few stiff not get a crack at the National Draft, that's why those players get a shot through the State Combines. Fletcher like Lewis is still a very good chance to get drafted IMO.
There's a VC kid invited you've probably never heard of Charlie Sprague that likely gets drafted too.
Unlike the SA, WA and VM lads the VC and Allies lads suffer from the tyranny of distance when it comes to training together opportunities, I thought you'd get that.

Unfortunately the AFL Scouts/Recruiters don't seem to agree with your assessment because theirs is the final say as to who gets an invite is my understanding of the procedure?

VC's
Dandenong Stingray Sam Fletcher missed the cut for the VC invitees too, there's always a few stiff not get a crack at the National Draft, that's why those players get a shot through the State Combines. Fletcher like Lewis is still a very good chance to get drafted IMO.
There's a VC kid invited you've probably never heard of Charlie Sprague that likely gets drafted too.
Unlike the SA, WA and VM lads the VC and Allies lads suffer from the tyranny of distance when it comes to training together opportunities, I thought you'd get that.
SAs team includes country kids as well.
The combine is dressed up as the best kids in Australia. Its far from that.

Regarding Oscar Chapman. How often does a bloke get drafted as an overager despite having never played league football (to this point)?
Rare, unlikely... He only had 1 good game in the Champs. His form at reserves level has been hit and miss. At best he would be drafted as a rookie.

Regarding Oscar Chapman. How often does a bloke get drafted as an overager despite having never played league football (to this point)?

19 year olds get drafted every year from the TAC Cup. It's not really any different.

The North Adelaide team is a tough one to break into as a forward. They're settled with Hender, Barns, Harvey and Ramsey as the talls. Plus Rozee and Woodcock (who kicked 4 goals in his senior league match on the weekend) are settling in up forward. Can't really knock Chapman too much for not getting into that forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick stats from the SANFL this week. Just the guys who played seniors...

Jack Lukosius - 14 touches, 5 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal
Connor Rozee - 16 touches, 7 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal
Boyd Woodcock - 12 touches, 2 marks, 4 goals
Hayden Sampson - 18 touches, 3 marks, 8 inside 50s
Izak Rankine - 12 touches, 1 goal
Hugo Munn - 9 touches, 4 marks, 1 goal
Jackson Hately - 15 touches, 3 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal
Jez McLennan - 8 touches, 4 marks, 5 tackles

Hayden Sampson made his debut and performed very well. While Boyd Woodcock was the pick with 4 goals in just his second game. Tom Lewis and Aaron Nietschke were two of the better performers in the Reserves, so they'll be looking to move up a grade in the coming weeks.

Nothing head scratching about it actually given the 80 players selected are there at the request of the AFL clubs PROFESSIONAL Recruiters who've been keeping tabs on all these lads for at least 3 or 4 years. Clearly they've gone for the lads they think have the best chance of having a successful AFL career down the track and I'd highly doubt the lad's state of origin would even be a consideration at this point in the draft cycle.

Many of the country kids train with the elite TAC program one night per week. They train another with their home clubs. The Metro kids, I am told, train together three times per week. Much more opportunity to learn structures, plays, go Ebert footage individually with coaches etc. Vic Country spent a lot less time together as well. Clubs look at Vic Country kids and see potential for vast improvement when the kids are in a full time system. Same for Metro kids, of course, but perhaps more true for country boys.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

hi again Chris...time to get your feedback after most of the season done of the SA 19-24age prospects if any that could be okay for Fremantle in particular. Guess we are still looking for an elite big forward and quality mids. What names can you recoomend?

I have a good feeling this kid may go a lot higher in the draft than many are currently projecting. I should have really picked him up in the phantom draft.

Seems to be one the amateur draft watchers are ignoring. He'd have been taken in the phantom draft if he were from Victoria.

can you say more about him?

23 year old, around the 193cm mark. Named West Adelaide's most improved player last year, top 3 in the B&F. Primarily has been a strong marking defender, but has swung forward a bit year this year with a couple of bags of 4 and 5 goals. Can't speak for how much interest Chris Burgess is getting, perhaps a club may like him as a rookie. I probably preferred Tom Keough a couple of years ago, spent just the one year on the rookie list at the Gold Coast and didn't get a game.

hi again Chris...time to get your feedback after most of the season done of the SA 19-24age prospects if any that could be okay for Fremantle in particular. Guess we are still looking for an elite big forward and quality mids. What names can you recoomend?

In terms of mature aged players from SA, the main one is Shane McAdam. The medium forward from Sturt (and originally from WA) is heading to the Combine and should get taken in the National Draft. I like him and would recommend Fremantle take a good look.

Otherwise, it's mostly the usual names - Grigg, Panos and Johnston will continue to dominate, but won't be picked up. Perhaps Matthew Nunn is a rookie chance, worse players have been given a go. 21 year old small midfielder with good pace. Darcy Fort will probably get taken, the big ruckman from Central. Clubs needing ruck depth will be looking at him and Jordan Sweet. But none would really be options for Fremantle.

Of the 19 year olds, Nathan Kreuger is looking the best. Talked up highly on BigFooty but the talk internally was that he was unlikely to be picked, although I'd have still liked to see him thrown a chance as a rookie. But this year, he's bulked up a fair bit and played well at league level - 15 goals in 9 games. Hasn't lost his athleticism or leap. I think he makes it as a second or third tall forward, leading up the ground. Also Lachlan Pascoe has made a good return from his knee injury in the Reserves for Norwood, solid medium defender with a lovely kick. Lacks a bit for pace though.

Seems to be one the amateur draft watchers are ignoring. He'd have been taken in the phantom draft if he were from Victoria.

23 year old, around the 193cm mark. Named West Adelaide's most improved player last year, top 3 in the B&F. Primarily has been a strong marking defender, but has swung forward a bit year this year with a couple of bags of 4 and 5 goals. Can't speak for how much interest Chris Burgess is getting, perhaps a club may like him as a rookie. I probably preferred Tom Keough a couple of years ago, spent just the one year on the rookie list at the Gold Coast and didn't get a game.

In terms of mature aged players from SA, the main one is Shane McAdam. The medium forward from Sturt (and originally from WA) is heading to the Combine and should get taken in the National Draft. I like him and would recommend Fremantle take a good look.

Otherwise, it's mostly the usual names - Grigg, Panos and Johnston will continue to dominate, but won't be picked up. Perhaps Matthew Nunn is a rookie chance, worse players have been given a go. 21 year old small midfielder with good pace. Darcy Fort will probably get taken, the big ruckman from Central. Clubs needing ruck depth will be looking at him and Jordan Sweet. But none would really be options for Fremantle.

Of the 19 year olds, Nathan Kreuger is looking the best. Talked up highly on BigFooty but the talk internally was that he was unlikely to be picked, although I'd have still liked to see him thrown a chance as a rookie. But this year, he's bulked up a fair bit and played well at league level - 15 goals in 9 games. Hasn't lost his athleticism or leap. I think he makes it as a second or third tall forward, leading up the ground. Also Lachlan Pascoe has made a good return from his knee injury in the Reserves for Norwood, solid medium defender with a lovely kick. Lacks a bit for pace though.
I liked the little bit I saw of both Kreuger and Pascoe last year. Would be happy with either/both.

can you say more about him?
Chris gave a good summary, but he's a rangy player who takes a great one grab overhead mark. Very good kick, 2 weeks ago he started in defence and blanketed Josh Scott (one of the best SANFL forwards), then went to CHF and kicked 4 goaks in the second half. Has a loping run, but doesn't get caught.

Amazingly, came to West as a 'come and try' player from the amateurs 3 years ago.

Has had plenty of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back