Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't have thought that stat was the best way to judge a KPF...

Ben Brown operates at 0.9 per game in 2018 for example

But as everyone keeps telling me, he is not a traditional lead out full forward.. If your not playing that role in the modern game you need to be applying defensive pressure which is why i think its relevant. Anyone have his numbers during the carnival.

But as everyone keeps telling me, he is not a traditional lead out full forward.. If your not playing that role in the modern game you need to be applying defensive pressure which is why i think its relevant. Anyone have his numbers during the carnival.
You're right, it's a big issue. I wouldn't draft him.

Darcy Fort: Given that ruckmen generally take a few years to develop, I wouldn't waste my time drafting an U18 ruckman unless he has elite agility and can play forward. Now you get a player who has spent a few years developing his craft against men in a good comp. Seems like a real chance
Sean Darcy is doing fine, and Grundy was a steal. No harm putting down a late pick for someone to develop on your list.

The traditional styled forward has basically been dead for years.

SA Draft Combine - Part 2

The Academy members

Martin Frederick (178cm, 74kg from Woodville-West Torrens)
I thought Frederick was one of the unluckiest players to miss out on a National Combine invite. It's crazy to me that a fellow defender in Quaynor is considered a first round chance, yet Frederick appears so far back. He had a very good Championships for SA, playing every match and really showing off his run and carry. He has elite speed and agility for the position. His kicking is inconsistent, but his best is very good. A Port Adelaide Academy member of South Sudanese heritage.

Mihail Lochowiak (184cm, 82kg from Sturt)
Indigenous player from the Adelaide Academy, he's also got a younger brother coming through the system as well. So learn to spell the name now. Didn't quite have the season he'd have wanted, and now he's out injured for the remainder. But a strong showing at the Combine will help his chances. A bit like the Hampton brothers, similar athletic profile and playing style. But like them, fades in and out of games and hasn't really settled into any one position. Likely to be developed off half back.

Kai Pudney (186cm, 78kg from Woodville West Torrens)
The other Port Adelaide Academy member, Pudney comes from a Japanese background. He wasn't part of South Australia's team for the first couple of rounds at the Championships, but when he got his chance he did exactly what he always does - win the ball. An absolute ball magnet at whatever level he plays, his endurance is already elite which he puts to good use as an outside midfielder. His impact however is low, similar to a Michael Barlow.

Who?

Connor Bristow (Norwood)
The combine invite I'm the least familiar with, Norwood have a few other draft relevant players and Bristow just slipped under my radar. Although he hasn't exactly come from nowhere, having had a solid season in the U18s. He just wasn't a part of the SA U18 Academy. Averaging around the 20 touches a game, mostly uncontested which speaks to his running ability. One I'll have to go back and catch up on.

Declan Carmody (177cm, 70kg from Glenelg)
Part of the South Australian U18 side, but one of the unlucky few to not get a game at the Championships. A small/medium forward, it's a position that SA was flushed in and those other guys were performing well. But Carmody has been averaging around 1.5 goals a game, split across U18 and Reserves level. On the smaller side, but goes in hard and tackles well. He's surprisingly good over head for his size, which is something I always like.

Isaac Saywell (188cm, 80kg from Norwood)
Having been part of the underage setup in SA the past couple of years, Saywell didn't make the final cut for SA's U18 squad. I thought he may have gotten a chance as a backup for the likes of Valente and Hately. He's a similar prospect, a big bodied midfielder/utility who can play in the middle or at either end. Enough to work with to suggest he'd be a handy rookie pick up, a bit like Banfield at Fremantle.

Casey Voss (183cm, 75kg from Sturt)
A famous name and a father son option for Brisbane. Casey has been plugging away in the SANFL, having not been part of the U18 Academy in SA. Coming into 2018, he looked a fair way out of the picture. But he's improved a lot as the season has progressed, and looks a genuine rookie chance in his own right - not just because of his name. A tough inside midfielder, has also played off half back. Brisbane had him up for a visit a month or so ago, and he played a couple of games for them in the NEAFL.

Hey Chris what do you think of Rozee at the Dogs' pick?

Talent wise, he'd be deserving of selection there. And he seems a very Bulldogs type pick as that highly skilled flanker, especially if you factor in getting the inside midfielder in Rhylee West as a F/S. Might depend on who can out tank who in the last round between the Bulldogs and Fremantle - there's arguably a top 6, and whoever picks first may have a shot at the remaining player.

Some stats from the combine invites playing league this weekend...

Callum Wilkie - 18 touches, 10 marks, 4 rebound 50s
Boyd Woodcock - 11 touches, 2 tackles, 1 goal
Connor Rozee - 11 touches, 1 goal
Shane McAdam - 11 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal, 3 behinds
Izak Rankine - 16 touches, 4 tackles, 4 inside 50s
Nathan Kreuger - 10 touches, 5 marks, 3 goals
Aaron Nietschke - 19 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Darcy Fort - 18 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 36 hitouts, 1 goal
Jackson Hately - 18 touches, 6 marks, 7 tackles, 2 goals
Jez McLennan - 17 touches, 6 tackles

A good game for Nathan Kreuger up forward for South Adelaide. Darcy Fort was also going up by himself against the Port Adelaide listed duo of Frampton and Ladhams, and won the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA Draft Combine - Part 3

Finn Betterman (180cm, 73kg from Glenelg)
There's not a whole lot of Betterman, on the shorter side and of slight build but you wouldn't know based on how he plays. His tackling technique is very good, has no problem wrapping up bigger opponents. And he was one of the best defensive midfielders for SA. Tends to play just outside of the pack, either receiving that first handball out or stopping the opposition from clearing it. Has a neat kick on him too, weights his kicks well.

Kade Chandler (173cm, 73kg from Norwood)
This weeks SANFL U18 MVP, Chandler was BOG with 23 disposals and 3 goals through the midfield and up forward. A little like Mitch Crowden, Chandler is an in and under ball winning midfielder but will likely have to forge a career more in the forward half. He's good defensively, bounces around the contest and is hard to bring down.

Tate Coleman (179cm, 70kg from South Adelaide)
Spent most of the year in the Reserves at South Adelaide, he's been doing his role and generally getting around the 20 touches - playing off half back and pushing up the ground. Has also made his league debut. Only got the one match at the Championships this year though. He's a hard working player, back pocket might be his go if he gets a chance at the next level.

Jacob Collins (189cm, 81kg from Norwood)
Got his chance in the final round for SA at the Championships, having been unlucky not to play earlier in the carnival. And he did pretty well with 13 touches and 5 inside 50s. Predominantly plays off half back, he's a big kid and uses that size well in contests and in the air. Along with the size, he has a penetrating kick - if not always the cleanest. But ticks enough boxes to get a look in.

Job Colwell (182cm, 80kg from South Adelaide)
It's nice seeing so many South Adelaide juniors coming through the ranks, and Colwell has shown himself to be a dangerous option around goals. With some super talented players ahead of him, he didn't get much of a chance to show off for SA this year. But kicked 34 goals last year, before pushing up the ground a bit more this year yet still recording 16 goals from his 11 games.

Tom Lewis (179cm, 80kg from Sturt)
Incredibly unlucky not to get a National Combine invite, I'm a big fan of Tom Lewis and have had him inside my top 20 at times this year. One of the best contested ball winning midfielders on offer, he's rarely beaten at a stoppage. His tackling is as good as anyone, while his disposal isn't an issue either. A touch taller and there'd be no doubts about him. Been listed in the bests in all but one game this year, he's been on the verge of a senior SANFL debut the past month.

Tyler Martin (188cm, 80kg from Norwood)
One of the unsung heroes for SA at the Championships, Martin was a key member of the backline alongside the more talked about Grundy and Gould. But Martin was as solid as any defender, winning his contest more often than not and taking a few nice intercept marks too. Didn't win a lot of ball, but played his role well and should be looked at by teams needing medium defenders. In the SANFL U18s, he's spent time up forward and in a more rebounding role in defence too.

Aaron Nietschke (184cm, 77kg from Central District)
At the very least, I can see Nietschke having a very long career in the SANFL. But if he gets his chance, he could very easily carve out a decent AFL career. He's the type of player that supporters will love, but opposition fans probably won't know. He does most things well and goes about his job. Played half back at the Championships, midfield for Centrals - and in two league matches is averaging 21 touches and a goal.

Jake Tarca (175cm, 75kg from South Adelaide)
A tough small forward who can also push up through the midfield, Tarca is thought of quite highly in the South Adelaide ranks. Spent last year playing club football before they got him back in the U18 mix, has kicked 23 goals from his 14 games this year. Probably not in the mix at the start of the year, he worked his way up into the SA squad through his performances.

Boyd Woodcock (174cm, 68kg from North Adelaide)
A bit unlucky not to play more for South Australia at the Championships, I think most would have had him in their best side. Woodcock is just a good little player though. Whether it's as a genuine ball magnet in the middle or as a dangerous small around goals. After dominating the disposal count in lower levels, he made his SANFL league debut and kicked 4 goals in his second match. Shapes as a prospect like Sam Gray from Port Adelaide, a role player but inside the best 22.

Nietschke 23 disposals yesterday. 3 games in the Seniors and not missing a beat.
He looked all class against the Magpies last week. It’s strange that he didn’t play state 18’s and is only a state draft combine invite, on face value he looks every bit a guy who could get drafted in the top 30, such is the quality and depth of SA talent this year I guess.

Port need to hit this draft hard.

He looked all class against the Magpies last week. It’s strange that he didn’t play state 18’s and is only a state draft combine invite, on face value he looks every bit a guy who could get drafted in the top 30, such is the quality and depth of SA talent this year I guess.

He didn't look to anything wrong at sanfl level and backed up every game he played. Port should be looking to fill 5 or possibly more spots and he's going to be sitting there at 50+ish. On the up side for him a state combine invite at least means he's been under notice.

Nietschke played 3 of the 4 U18 games for SA this year. Part of the second tier midfield, rotated through half back. Was solid, not spectacular and averaged 13 or so disposals.

The way he’s stepped up at senior level with Centrals will really help his draft stocks. Adapts to whatever level he’s up against.

The main knock is simply not having any standout attributes. He’s clean and a good versatile role player, but not overly quick or skillful. Tackles well, hands are good, play whatever role he’s needed. Just a good footballer.

Nietschke played 3 of the 4 U18 games for SA this year. Part of the second tier midfield, rotated through half back. Was solid, not spectacular and averaged 13 or so disposals.

The way he’s stepped up at senior level with Centrals will really help his draft stocks. Adapts to whatever level he’s up against.

The main knock is simply not having any standout attributes. He’s clean and a good versatile role player, but not overly quick or skillful. Tackles well, hands are good, play whatever role he’s needed. Just a good footballer.

Sounds like Teia Miles at Hawthorn....no one outstanding attribute, but just a clean, no fuss, smart footballer.

After 3 years developing on our list, has finally strung 10 games together in a row this year, replacing Duryea as the general small defender.

Stats from the final round of the SANFL regular season...

Aaron Nietschke - 23 touches, 6 marks
Darcy Fort - 14 touches, 3 marks, 28 hitouts
Jackson Hately - 13 touches, 9 marks
Jez McLennan - 9 touches, 2 marks, 2 rebounds
Jack Lukosius - 14 touches, 4 marks, 1 goal, 2 behinds
Callum Wilkie - 20 touches, 10 marks, 4 tackles, 6 rebounds
Boyd Woodcock - 11 touches, 6 marks, 2 goals, 2 behinds
Connor Rozee - 7 touches, 5 marks, 4 inside 50s
Shane McAdam - 12 touches, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 4 goals
Hugo Munn - 12 touches, 7 marks
Nathan Kreuger - 14 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal, 2 behinds
Matthew Nunn - 26 touches, 7 marks, 5 inside 50s, 1 goal
Izak Rankine - 20 touches, 11 marks, 5 inside 50s, 3 goals, 2 behinds
Chris Burgess - 15 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals, 2 behinds

One of the top performances of the week was from Izak Rankine, against the Crows SANFL side. Aaron Nietschke continued his solid form, while the mature aged guys were good as always. Hugo Munn didn't have a huge game, but one of his better ones for the season.

Oscar Chapman - 18 touches, 10 marks, 5 goals, 2 behinds
Finn Betterman - 22 touches, 5 marks, 8 inside 50s
Tobin Cox - 15 touches, 6 tackles, 4 inside 50s
Declan Carmody - 15 touches, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal
Tom Lewis - 20 touches, 9 tackles
Hayden Sampson - 21 touches, 8 marks, 6 inside 50s, 4 rebounds, 1 goal, 2 behinds

With Sturt and South Adelaide out of the Reserves final race, Tom Lewis and Hayden Sampson both did their chances of League finals action no harm. While Oscar Chapman was the beneficiary of a demolition job against the Port reserves side.

Kai Pudney - 30 touches, 5 marks, 6 inside 50s, 1 goal
Tate Coleman - 24 touches, 6 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal
Job Colwell - 19 touches, 6 marks
Jake Tarca - 13 touches, 3 marks, 3 behinds
Jacob Collins - 32 touches, 11 marks, 4 inside 50s, 5 rebounds, 2 goals
Jacob Kennerley - 26 touches, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 5 inside 50s
Isaac Saywell - 24 touches, 10 marks
Connor Bristow - 21 touches, 9 marks, 4 inside 50s
Tyler Martin - 17 touches, 8 marks, 3 rebounds
Ben Jarvis - 15 touches, 6 marks, 2 goals

All of the above's teams have made it through to the U18s finals series. At this stage of the year, you'd probably want to be playing a higher grade heading into draft season. But a good finals performance still counts for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back