Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far more talented than Sparrow? You obviously haven't watched much of him then.
He is by far the most inside and strongest mid in the draft pool. 1. Sparrow and 2. Duursma.
Sparrow showed plenty of times this year his ability to bust through a stoppage using his speed and raw power to get out.
In the GF Sunday, when on the outside he took meters off eagles using his speed too, has the ability to now find the ball on the outside due to his running improvement.
People claiming that RCD, or whoever else is a better inside mid, has no eyes or knowledge. Sparrow is a first possession winner, he cracks into every stoppage harder than the last. RCD isnt always a first possession winner, he a first receiver more so than not. RCD is also rated higher due to his forward craft. Where as Sparrow is a Mid/ Defender at the next level.
But if you look at sparrow last two weeks, he's also kicked 2 very good snap goals, from having goal sense and reading the tap, showing ability to be a goal scoring inside mid too.
Its bias VIC talk. Sparrow would beat RCD 1 v 1 in a 50/50 ball and in a stoppage.
Sparrow is his team clear best mid where as RCD is sharing midfield time with Rowbottom, Answerth, Ross and O’Niell. He can’t be the only player going for the first possession, when RCD commits to the ball he never fumbles and will get his arms up dish out ala Josh Kennedy whereas Sparrow is more in the Selwood mould. Both types are inside mids, Sparrow already has the stength to look exactly like this type where as RCD still has plenty of size to put on to use his taller frame to even better advantage. If you want a player that cracks in hard I’d even have O’Halloran ahead of Sparrow who also hits the scoreboard. Claiming it’s vic bias I can easily say yours is SA bias, I have Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee, Hately, Valente and McLennan in my top 30 so I will give interstate players credit where credit is due. The TAC Cup is of much higher standard than the SANFL under 18s which is why you see the likes of Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee and Hately playing regular senior football, what is Sparrows excuse?

Last edited:
Sparrow is his team clear best mid where as RCD is sharing midfield time with Rowbottom, Answerth, Ross and O’Niell. He can’t be the only player going for the first possession, when RCD commits to the ball he never fumbles and will get his arms up dish out ala Josh Kennedy whereas Sparrow is more in the Selwood mould. Both types are inside mids, Sparrow already has the stength to look exactly like this type where as RCD still has plenty of size to put on to use his taller frame to even better advantage. If you want a player that cracks in hard I’d even have O’Halloran ahead of Sparrow who also hits the scoreboard. Claiming it’s vic bias I can easily say yours is SA bias, I have Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee, Hately, Valente and McLennan in my top 30 so I will give interstate players credit where credit is due. The TAC Cup is of much higher standard than the SANFL under 18s which is why you see the likes of Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee and Hately playing regular senior football, what is Sparrows excuse?

That is a view based on a limited understanding. Players are promoted and not for different reasons in different teams. In fact you burn yourself by highlighting Valente who played less reserves games than Sparrow. Not a comment on either of their over all ability just a point to be careful with assuming you know why players remain in the 18s.

The perfect example is Zac Bailey from last year. Norwood weren't anywhere near a strong as this year in the reserves and he didn't get a look in either. Also South has Hadeyn Sampson and Bogle who are both inside ball winners that Sparrow competes with. None of this is to say that I agree one way or the other about RCD v Sparrow just that some of the assumptions you make to separate them are unfounded.

I haven't watched RCD play live but from what I can tell he has amazing upside and so will be drafted higher than Sparrow but I do think he also has a lower floor and represents a bigger risk. Some players never develop the ability to amass big numbers if they haven't shown it at the lower level. Sparrow has shown he gets it 25 times a game so I think his risk of busting is lower.

That is a view based on a limited understanding. Players are promoted and not for different reasons in different teams. In fact you burn yourself by highlighting Valente who played less reserves games than Sparrow. Not a comment on either of their over all ability just a point to be careful with assuming you know why players remain in the 18s.

The perfect example is Zac Bailey from last year. Norwood weren't anywhere near a strong as this year in the reserves and he didn't get a look in either. Also South has Hadeyn Sampson and Bogle who are both inside ball winners that Sparrow competes with. None of this is to say that I agree one way or the other about RCD v Sparrow just that some of the assumptions you make to separate them are unfounded.

I haven't watched RCD play live but from what I can tell he has amazing upside and so will be drafted higher than Sparrow but I do think he also has a lower floor and represents a bigger risk. Some players never develop the ability to amass big numbers if they haven't shown it at the lower level. Sparrow has shown he gets it 25 times a game so I think his risk of busting is lower.
Yeah you pretty much sum up the situation, the excuse apart was a genuine question wasn’t meaning to be smart. Valente I deliberately didn’t bring up as a player that played senior football knowing very well that he didn’t , my rating of him ahead of Sparrow is because I’ve liked what he has done more than Sparrow and he is one I have the benefit of seeing live playing with the AFL academy.

The upside/talent part is what I’m trying to get across so what you bring up I 100% agree with

Last edited:

Yeah you pretty much sum up the situation, the excuse apart was a genuine question wasn’t meaning to be smart. Valente I deliberately didn’t bring up as a player that played senior football knowing very well that he didn’t , my rating of him ahead of Sparrow is because I’ve liked what he has done more than Sparrow and he is one I’ve has the benefit of seeing live playing with the AFL academy.

The upside/talent part is what I’m trying to get across so what you bring up I 100% agree with
Yeah look at that. A couple of big footy people from different states agreeing. Maybe we are both just right hahaha

SA is different to VIC with schoolboys player's having to play schoolboys football over SANFL. SA Schoolboys football is on at the same time as SANFL. Players get the first 5 rounds of the season in the SANFL then can't play for the next 9-10 rounds due to SA Schoolboys Football. They can then play school holiday games which is 2-3 rounds but within that phase the National Champs are on. Player's then go back to schoolboys football for a further 5-6 rounds, then they only have 2 SANFL u18 minor round games of the season left, til SANFL U18 finals. Players cant just be given League spots they need to fight/perform consistently to be given it, given it's 2-3 weeks of SANFL games at a time, its barley enough time to be able to truly perform. A lot of none SA people don't understand how hard it is to actually get a League spot in some teams.

- Rankine and Lukosius go to a public school (Henley High) where they only play in the knockout cup, so they let their kids play every SANFL game on Saturdays.
- Luke Valente was was in the same boat this year, along with school team mates - Kennerely and Jarvis at Rostrevor Div 1 SA Schoolboys team.
- Jackson Hatley goes to a school who is in the Div 3 private SA schoolboys system, and are a lot more understanding if you go to play SANFL instead of school, cause they ain't playing for sheep stations.

Think you'll be surprised with the amount of clubs that now have Sparrow on their draft board, in the top 30.

Plenty of AFL players from SA didn't get an opportunity to play League level due to schoolboys commitments and not getting a full run of the SANFL season. Zac Bailey- great example ex PAC boy- would of been around the mark if given a full season. Cory Gregson (Sacred Heart College- Div 1 School) great story of being selected in League for Glenelg but was unable to debut because his School made him play for them instead.

The TAC Cup is of much higher standard than the SANFL under 18s which is why you see the likes of Lukosius, Rankine, Rozee and Hately playing regular senior football, what is Sparrows excuse?

He was actually named to play league football for South mid season but PAC squashed it as they had a "big game" against Sacred Heart. By the time school football was done, South were knocked out of the finals.

Far more talented than Sparrow? You obviously haven't watched much of him then.
He is by far the most inside and strongest mid in the draft pool. 1. Sparrow and 2. Duursma.
Sparrow showed plenty of times this year his ability to bust through a stoppage using his speed and raw power to get out.
In the GF Sunday, when on the outside he took meters off eagles using his speed too, has the ability to now find the ball on the outside due to his running improvement.
People claiming that RCD, or whoever else is a better inside mid, has no eyes or knowledge. Sparrow is a first possession winner, he cracks into every stoppage harder than the last. RCD isnt always a first possession winner, he a first receiver more so than not. RCD is also rated higher due to his forward craft. Where as Sparrow is a Mid/ Defender at the next level.
But if you look at sparrow last two weeks, he's also kicked 2 very good snap goals, from having goal sense and reading the tap, showing ability to be a goal scoring inside mid too.
Its bias VIC talk. Sparrow would beat RCD 1 v 1 in a 50/50 ball and in a stoppage.

I take it you've not seen Jye Caldwell, Bailey Smith, Jack Bytel, Liam Stocker or Ely Smith play much because they'd all be in that same discussion and mostly in front of Xavier Duursma if we're talking inside/strong IMO??
Even Jackson Hately if he was playing U18 level would be in that discussion IMO.

Except Woodcock is doing it at league level in the SANFL, with 13 goals from 8 games. Has much more than just accumulating ability, I wouldn't say he's lacking for speed or disposal. For someone who projects as a small forward, there's few doing that role better. He's taller than Stengle and Baker at Richmond, Ballantyne and Matera at Fremantle, Spargo at Melbourne, Daniels at GWS.

No need to overthink and look for reasons not to draft someone.

Wow you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think boyd is ahead of spargo. Spargo is playing in a deep pre lim side and boyd might not get drafted. There are definitely questions about his disposal and composure in traffic.

Wow you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think boyd is ahead of spargo. Spargo is playing in a deep pre lim side and boyd might not get drafted. There are definitely questions about his disposal and composure in traffic.
I think all he stated was he was taller than Spargo. That’s all.

Point 1- rubbish. Would take the standard of the SANFL under-18 competition over the TAC every day of the week.

Point 2- he had to play school football. He was named to play league footy but was withdrawn by his school who had "priority".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point 1- rubbish. Would take the standard of the SANFL under-18 competition over the TAC every day of the week.

Point 2- he had to play school football. He was named to play league footy but was withdrawn by his school who had "priority".
Recruiters it would seem don’t share your opinion on point 1

Why do you say that?

Notice you've curiously ignored the facts regarding point 2.
Point 2 has been brought up by another poster before you

Go have a look at the amount of players invited to the national combine from the TAC 18s grand final and the SANFL 18s grand Final and there you will find your answer

You're taking the piss yeah?

The majority of the top end talent in the SANFL U18's play against the "men" in the SANFL Reserves quite regularly or even quite a bit in the SANFL League Competition...are you seriously suggesting this doesn't weaken the strength of the SA U18 competition?

Why do you say that?

Notice you've curiously ignored the facts regarding point 2.
Roughly 50% of draftees come from TAC each year. About 10-15% from all SANFL (Sen/Res/u18 inclusive).

Through sheer weight of numbers, the TAC Cup is a higher quality. But it's hardly the be all and end all either. The undraftable talent isn't any better than the other states.
That's the point I was trying to make. 12 teams as opposed to 8. SANFL clubs also have better access to facilities. I'm not saying the upper echelon of talent is better, but I think once you account for depth and regional teams, the SANFL under 18 league has a better overall quality.

It does come down to clubs though, Valente and Kennerley have been playing a lot of Under 18's and both could be good enough to play league footy, especially Valente. Norwood just have a strong side. Some coaches/clubs like to keep certain players in certain sides to make them stronger, and given South's run at the flag this year, probably helped having Sparrow there as he'd easily be good enough for regular reserves footy and a few league games. Lewis could too but it's hard to crack Sturt's league side.

That's the point I was trying to make. 12 teams as opposed to 8. SANFL clubs also have better access to facilities. I'm not saying the upper echelon of talent is better, but I think once you account for depth and regional teams, the SANFL under 18 league has a better overall quality.

Do you honestly think the depth of talent playing in SA is more than Vic?

5 million people live in Melbourne. It’s the world capital of Australian Rules. 1.4 million people live in Adelaide.

You would last about 3 seconds as a recruiter if you think the depth in SANFL u18 is superior to TAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back