South Australian election 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
There doesn't seem to be a thread on this so far, so here it is. Members from other states are perfectly welcome to post as well.

On the one hand, the Steven Marshall Liberal government is a first-term government, having defeated the sixteen-year-old Labor government people got tired of. It has also presided over the covid-19 pandemic which has - so far - strongly favoured incumbents in Australia.

South Australia was like Western Australia-lite, with a closed border mostly keeping the virus out until November 2021 when we opened it. The omicron wave is now fading away and life is gradually getting back to normal. We spent only a few weeks in lockdown in total.

On the other hand, the Marshall government has been racked by scandals, and has been reduced from majority to minority government after a raft of MPs quit the party over expenses scandals and various other things I cannot be bothered recalling because there have been so many.

The opposition, led by Peter Malinauskas, seems to have hit a big vein of discontent over the handling of the reopening border. The word on the street is that people are simultaneously annoyed at letting two years of closed borders 'go to waste' by letting this horrible virus in too soon, but also annoyed at the continued restrictions. Starting from the winter of 2021, to this day you still need to wear a mask in any indoor public place in South Australia. That's something I personally get very annoyed at, and I think it's time for that sort of stuff to go.

To my knowledge, Labor needs to win four marginal seats in Adelaide to form majority government. On balance, I think Labor will form a minority government having won more seats than the Liberal Party. However I would not be surprised if Steven Marshall is rewarded for SA not becoming a complete covid disaster and gets back in. I can see Labor forming a majority government as well.

If Labor beats the government, it will be the first government in Australia to lose office since the pandemic started. It will be the last state or territory election before Scott Morrison's federal governmemt goes to the polls before the end of May.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a thread on this so far
Yes there is.

Yes there is.

Whoops. Feel free to delete the thread, mods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back