South East Suns. Logan based new AFL club.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
10302024_10152339071647191_8551977018778959522_n.jpg

My main hope this would be this is an exercise to convert more juniors from other codes, and not attract (accidentally or otherwise) players from already struggling clubs. But from what I can see on their website www.southeastsuns.com They are going to field u19s, reserves and 1st grade. And have no junior program.

Unless they are affiliated with a club that does have juniors, all they can do is poach other clubs Junior players? Their website does not mention a junior program or an affiliation with an established junior club.

There is already talk of too many clubs in the West. If you have a plan to get new kids im all for it. If this is a seniors exercise, im not really interested, except 'Good Luck' and there would be a lot of 'International' players available from overseas that you could sponsor to get here to make you competitive. We all want the same thing....AFL to be the biggest code in QLD.

But we don't want new clubs starting to the detriment of other clubs. Id like to hear your recruitment plan, etc of obtaining new players, without attracting players from other clubs.

Id love an extremely strong Logan club. AFL needs a sharp edge of the wedge to undermine the NRL in this area.

Perhaps someone involved can give us some ideas on what they are doing to further the interests of AFL without hurting other clubs, and how they intend to grow their junior base not to the detriment of other struggling clubs?

Last edited:

Sir G

Club Legend
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mayne tigers
Are they Logan Cobras reinvented or replacement? The talk of too many teams are they going to resort back to the North Brisbane, West Brisbane etc scenario? Just wondering if they are heading to a new comp in the future with the SouthEast Suns, Moreton Bay Lions etc being developed?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Are they Logan Cobras reinvented or replacement? The talk of too many teams are they going to resort back to the North Brisbane, West Brisbane etc scenario? Just wondering if they are heading to a new comp in the future with the SouthEast Suns, Moreton Bay Lions etc being developed?
I think how above board they are will be answered by how they address my questions. Ive a few more don't worry....

Last edited:

Randall Floyd

Debutant
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If you delve a little deeper on their website this is what they have to say:

Our Story

The South East Suns were offically born on the 1st August 2014 after officials from the Logan City Cobras and Beenleigh Buffaloes Football Clubs had come together during 2014 to discuss the possibility of merging forces to become one club for the South East QLD region. The main concern for both parties was the lack of juniors progressing up to the senior ranks due to both clubs not having an colts side. Due to this, both clubs juniors had sort opportunities elsewhere and rarely did these players come back to their clubs at senior level. Because of this it meant that both clubs were continually competing against each other for players. Furthermore as both clubs were located in the heart of Logan it was viewed that we should be playing a higher level of competition and our aim is to progress up the levels in the years to come whilst having an Under 19's side who would feed into our Seniors & Reserves teams and providing the opportunity for our youth players to hopefully progress to the AFL level.

Prior to announcing our new name an exhaustive consultation process was held between both the Logan & Beenleigh officials as to what our new entity would be called. All agreed that aligning ourselves to AFL club Gold Coast Suns was a postive move seeing as they too were a fairly new club and only located a short drive down the road. Furthermore we would be the only club in the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast areas that had the Suns moniker and would appeal to those that followed Gold Coast and the AFL in general. After liasing with the Gold Coast Suns we gained approval to use their colours of red, gold and blue and adopting their club song.

After numerous discussions it was decided by the members of the Logan City Cobras at a Special General Meeting that in the best interests of football in Logan and surrounding areas that the Cobras would cease and the South East Suns would become our new club. After holding their own Special General Meeting the Beenleigh Buffaloes decided against ceasing as a senior club and to remain as their own club. Whilst we were disappointed they didn't join forces with the then Logan City Cobras to become one club for the South East QLD region we understood their position but we proceeded to continue on as the new entity 'South East Suns.'

A critical element of building our football club was establishing and maintaining a community connection. Its promise remains to ensure that the club will have meaningful engagement with the community and our pathway ensures that the South East Suns will become a competitive and successful club for the South East QLD region.

Not one to forgot where we came from we decided to honour both the Logan City and Beenleigh Football clubs by maintaining their history that goes back to 1973 when the Woodridge Woodpeckers were formed. Since that time numerous name changes have occured with the Slacks Creek Cobras, Beenleigh Cobras, Logan City Cobras and finally the Beenleigh Buffaloes forming their own club in 1998. All games, club, league and life membership honours are recognised by us as we are a club for the South East QLD region.

The South East Suns are building a reputation as one of the most exciting football clubs in Australia. Strong values and a culture of success both on and off the field are central to achieving this goal.

The journey is only just beginning. A new dawn is rising, it's our time to shine!

Also on their website they say they are playing in QAFA 'A' and long term plans are to progress up the grades. From all reports the Logan Cobras Juniors are looking to re brand to the South East Suns as well so thats where the majority of their juniors will come from one would guess. They may well poach a few players from Beenleigh as the Buffaloes don't have an Under 19's side. From my point of view it looks like they have a big vision on retaining youth and for them not to go to other clubs. I think it's a positive thing that the club are trying to do this. Don't know the full story but think Beenleigh have made a big mistake by not joining forces with the former Logan City Cobras. Guess only time will tell.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If you delve a little deeper on their website this is what they have to say:

Our Story

The South East Suns were offically born on the 1st August 2014 after officials from the Logan City Cobras and Beenleigh Buffaloes Football Clubs had come together during 2014 to discuss the possibility of merging forces to become one club for the South East QLD region. The main concern for both parties was the lack of juniors progressing up to the senior ranks due to both clubs not having an colts side. Due to this, both clubs juniors had sort opportunities elsewhere and rarely did these players come back to their clubs at senior level. Because of this it meant that both clubs were continually competing against each other for players. Furthermore as both clubs were located in the heart of Logan it was viewed that we should be playing a higher level of competition and our aim is to progress up the levels in the years to come whilst having an Under 19's side who would feed into our Seniors & Reserves teams and providing the opportunity for our youth players to hopefully progress to the AFL level.

Prior to announcing our new name an exhaustive consultation process was held between both the Logan & Beenleigh officials as to what our new entity would be called. All agreed that aligning ourselves to AFL club Gold Coast Suns was a postive move seeing as they too were a fairly new club and only located a short drive down the road. Furthermore we would be the only club in the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast areas that had the Suns moniker and would appeal to those that followed Gold Coast and the AFL in general. After liasing with the Gold Coast Suns we gained approval to use their colours of red, gold and blue and adopting their club song.

After numerous discussions it was decided by the members of the Logan City Cobras at a Special General Meeting that in the best interests of football in Logan and surrounding areas that the Cobras would cease and the South East Suns would become our new club. After holding their own Special General Meeting the Beenleigh Buffaloes decided against ceasing as a senior club and to remain as their own club. Whilst we were disappointed they didn't join forces with the then Logan City Cobras to become one club for the South East QLD region we understood their position but we proceeded to continue on as the new entity 'South East Suns.'

A critical element of building our football club was establishing and maintaining a community connection. Its promise remains to ensure that the club will have meaningful engagement with the community and our pathway ensures that the South East Suns will become a competitive and successful club for the South East QLD region.

Not one to forgot where we came from we decided to honour both the Logan City and Beenleigh Football clubs by maintaining their history that goes back to 1973 when the Woodridge Woodpeckers were formed. Since that time numerous name changes have occured with the Slacks Creek Cobras, Beenleigh Cobras, Logan City Cobras and finally the Beenleigh Buffaloes forming their own club in 1998. All games, club, league and life membership honours are recognised by us as we are a club for the South East QLD region.

The South East Suns are building a reputation as one of the most exciting football clubs in Australia. Strong values and a culture of success both on and off the field are central to achieving this goal.

The journey is only just beginning. A new dawn is rising, it's our time to shine!

Also on their website they say they are playing in QAFA 'A' and long term plans are to progress up the grades. From all reports the Logan Cobras Juniors are looking to re brand to the South East Suns as well so thats where the majority of their juniors will come from one would guess. They may well poach a few players from Beenleigh as the Buffaloes don't have an Under 19's side. From my point of view it looks like they have a big vision on retaining youth and for them not to go to other clubs. I think it's a positive thing that the club are trying to do this. Don't know the full story but think Beenleigh have made a big mistake by not joining forces with the former Logan City Cobras. Guess only time will tell.

Good luck to the new entity, I hope they go well and have a great presence in Queensland footy for years to come. My interest is with the Under 19s. History suggests they will struggle to field an under 19 team. Beenleigh have tried every year to have an 18s (19s will be much harder given the jump from 16s to 19s) and have failed. I believe that they also are in fact trying to field a 19s side in 2015. Logan have tried in previous years, without success, as well. Not sure where either, or both, are going to get their players from. The only other Colts side in the immediate region is Springwood and in 2014 they only had 26 on their list. A team needs at least 25 kids to make it work (work, Uni, injuries etc etc) and my gut feeling is that there simply aren't that many kids in the region, especially, as mentioned earlier, it is now a jump of 3 years from 16s, very tough.

Twinkle_Toes

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How clever tigernova, to start an irrelevant thread, named after the club you're questioning? Seriously, all we need now is for Moro to start his own umpires thread !! If you have questions about a club, any club, direct them to the relevant people within that club, not on a public forum

Sunnysideup

Senior List
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Good luck to the new entity, I hope they go well and have a great presence in Queensland footy for years to come. My interest is with the Under 19s. History suggests they will struggle to field an under 19 team. Beenleigh have tried every year to have an 18s (19s will be much harder given the jump from 16s to 19s) and have failed. I believe that they also are in fact trying to field a 19s side in 2015. Logan have tried in previous years, without success, as well. Not sure where either, or both, are going to get their players from. The only other Colts side in the immediate region is Springwood and in 2014 they only had 26 on their list. A team needs at least 25 kids to make it work (work, Uni, injuries etc etc) and my gut feeling is that there simply aren't that many kids in the region, especially, as mentioned earlier, it is now a jump of 3 years from 16s, very tough.
The biggest problem in the area for the past decade is both Beenleigh and Logan City is that there has not been a pathway for kids after U16's, interestingly in the 2013 U18 State League GF there were 11 players from either MtGravatt or Morningside that played there junior football at the Buffs or Cobras, forced to leave as there was no program for them. Build it and they will come, wont happen over night but with some hard work and good planning.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
the drunker I get, the more I care....

i'll have the thread taken down if people don't want it here..

Sunnysideup

Senior List
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tiger the South East Suns will be taking the place of Logan City in the QAFA in 2015, the Suns were set up to reduce teams in the area however Beenleigh decided to stand alone and not join the newly formed club meaning team numbers will remain same as 2014.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The biggest problem in the area for the past decade is both Beenleigh and Logan City is that there has not been a pathway for kids after U16's, interestingly in the 2013 U18 State League GF there were 11 players from either MtGravatt or Morningside that played there junior football at the Buffs or Cobras, forced to leave as there was no program for them. Build it and they will come, wont happen over night but with some hard work and good planning.

My point is that they have been trying to "build it and they will come" for many years, unsuccessfully. Sadly, I fear it will happen again next year. There just are'nt enough kids in that age group to go around. Yes there are ex Buffs and Cobras kids playing at other clubs but nowhere near enough to build a team. It is very difficult to get numbers in this age group as many kids coming from u16s give it away due to year 12 studies taking precedence. Then there is part or full time work, uni, money, the "fear factor" of playing against much bigger bodied 18 and 19 year olds, travel, saturday morning footy etc etc. It just doesn't suit as many kids as we would like.I hope i am wrong but I don't think it will happen, if history is any guide that is.

Deelightful

Debutant
Jul 6, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
My point is that they have been trying to "build it and they will come" for many years, unsuccessfully. Sadly, I fear it will happen again next year. There just are'nt enough kids in that age group to go around. Yes there are ex Buffs and Cobras kids playing at other clubs but nowhere near enough to build a team. It is very difficult to get numbers in this age group as many kids coming from u16s give it away due to year 12 studies taking precedence. Then there is part or full time work, uni, money, the "fear factor" of playing against much bigger bodied 18 and 19 year olds, travel, saturday morning footy etc etc. It just doesn't suit as many kids as we would like.I hope i am wrong but I don't think it will happen, if history is any guide that is.
True it will be hard work and take a lot of effort to make it happen for all the above reasons, good on the Suns for having a go at attempting to do what has not been able to done in the area for a long time, if they fail it wont be because they haven't tried the worse this the Suns could do is not have a go at forming U19's

Back