South Melbourne Rivalries

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on. Aylett was a grub. He used the Ten Year Rule (an early iteration of free agency) at Norf to buy several champs, inc our John (Mopsy) Rantall

Then, as now Norf, had sfa members but somehow managed to be cashed up enough to buy their first Premiership. There were unsubstantiated rumours about the source of the money.

Prolly off topic but here are a couple of points about Rantall. As a kid in his first season with us he made the Vic team which was remarkable.

He was not a big guy and initialyi played half back flank. As we often had few options we played him as an undersized full back against some monster full forwards and champs like Hudson.

He loved South. When he left, he finally got the payday South could never deliver. Norf played him in the centre, where he excelled.

With a Premiership and some cash in his kick, he returned to South. He wanted to reach the 300 game milestone. In his last season with us his form faltered as his body let him down. He was still more than serviceable. We sacked him just short of the 300 (remember Rod Carter?). To their credit Fitzroy recruited him and he made the 300 and retired.

He still loved the Club. At the height of the Keep South. At South struggles he was appointed Coach by the good men and women of the Club. He had stepped forward because of his love of the Club.

Players had been threatened they would not be paid. A cabal said they wouldn't accept his appointment.

The rest is history. South moved and that ********* Quade was appointed as coach of the exiled Club. Ultimately he copped his comeuppance. Hospitalised allegedly by a wonderful player whose wife Quade had been chasing around.

Bedders, Connolly and others will no doubt correct errors I have made above. Forgive me. I still see those days through a prism of bitterness.
Mate everything you wrote is spot on. Rantall was a great player, outstanding club man and good person. The forced move genuinely broke many strong hearts. But we came back didnt we? The banner at the 2005 Grand Final held it up for everyone to see - Two cities - One team". I really believe that only a unquely powerful community spirit coud have survived what they did to South. We were tossed out of South with all the respect of a dirty dish rag. Not the first evictions in Port and South. As they used to say - Out but never down.

Connolly, do me a favour. Please write down all these anecdotes and put them in a book so I can buy it off the Swans store. It's pure gold.
Mate if you really think its worthwile i will have a go. I will try and write a people's history of the post-war club. I think its really interesting that of all the relocated sporting teams only the Bloods retained the connection to its roots. Fitzroy for all the BS about old Fitzroy didnt do it at Brisbane. Maybe there is something in tne community DNA of this great football club that keeps the old South identity. By the way dont worry about buying anything. For whats its worth i wil give everythig to the BF crowd. I am doing it easy on the bit coming down the finishing straight. On the pension mate.

Mate if you really think its worthwile i will have a go. I will try and write a people's history of the post-war club. I think its really interesting that of all the relocated sporting teams only the Bloods retained the connection to its roots. Fitzroy for all the BS about old Fitzroy didnt do it at Brisbane. Maybe there is something in tne community DNA of this great football club that keeps the old South identity. By the way dont worry about buying anything. For whats its worth i wil give everythig to the BF crowd. I am doing it easy on the bit coming down the finishing straight. On the pension mate.
I could be completely wrong but I feel like a lot of supporters from Sydney can identify with the blue collar area that South come from. I definitely know that a lot of Rabbitohs supporters jumped onto the Swans after Souths were kicked out of the comp, and a lot of Swans supporters from all around Sydney follow league clubs that are from working class areas.

I think the most important thing with our relocation to Sydney was that we retained the red and white jumper , it kept the south melbourne identity.

I know in the dark years of the early 90s there was talk of changing it to something similar like the nsw state of origin jumper. I think that would have seen a lot of south melbourme supporters lose interest.

Spot on. Aylett was a grub. He used the Ten Year Rule (an early iteration of free agency) at Norf to buy several champs, inc our John (Mopsy) Rantall

Then, as now Norf, had sfa members but somehow managed to be cashed up enough to buy their first Premiership. There were unsubstantiated rumours about the source of the money.

Prolly off topic but here are a couple of points about Rantall. As a kid in his first season with us he made the Vic team which was remarkable.

He was not a big guy and initialyi played half back flank. As we often had few options we played him as an undersized full back against some monster full forwards and champs like Hudson.

He loved South. When he left, he finally got the payday South could never deliver. Norf played him in the centre, where he excelled.

With a Premiership and some cash in his kick, he returned to South. He wanted to reach the 300 game milestone. In his last season with us his form faltered as his body let him down. He was still more than serviceable. We sacked him just short of the 300 (remember Rod Carter?). To their credit Fitzroy recruited him and he made the 300 and retired.

He still loved the Club. At the height of the Keep South. At South struggles he was appointed Coach by the good men and women of the Club. He had stepped forward because of his love of the Club.

Players had been threatened they would not be paid. A cabal said they wouldn't accept his appointment.

The rest is history. South moved and that ********* Quade was appointed as coach of the exiled Club. Ultimately he copped his comeuppance. Hospitalised allegedly by a wonderful player whose wife Quade had been chasing around.

Bedders, Connolly and others will no doubt correct errors I have made above. Forgive me. I still see those days through a prism of bitterness.
There is a couple of books on it , I know one from Jim Main.

I could be completely wrong but I feel like a lot of supporters from Sydney can identify with the blue collar area that South come from. I definitely know that a lot of Rabbitohs supporters jumped onto the Swans after Souths were kicked out of the comp, and a lot of Swans supporters from all around Sydney follow league clubs that are from working class areas.
Interestingly Dally Messenger played australian rules in South Melbourne before he moved back to Sydney

Particulalrly the wives of ruckmen with a Chesty Bond physique and who can punch. Maybe a winger's wife. Never trust a bloke with permed hair either[/QUOTE

Hahaha. Ricky Nixon just passed by and said hello.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back