South Melbourne to officially apply to join A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of the crowd of south or non Greek also the only thing they will change if that get in is the badge cause it resembles the Greek flag south haven't been called Hellas for about 15 to 20 years

If South are fair dink-um about changing from their Greek Heritage they should change their colors too. Bet they won't through.

If South are fair dink-um about changing from their Greek Heritage they should change their colors too. Bet they won't through.

No they shouldn't unless it's the red/white heritage strip they used in the ffa cup last year, change for the sake of change is useless. Do we really want all the teams to be clones of eachother? The game surely has room for a bit of history, the club needs to represent what it is, Australian with origins that traces back to Greek migrants 60 years ago, if a club can't tell its story the whole thing is a waste of time, just bring in blah blah gimmick fc instead. Surely we are mature enough now for this.

No they shouldn't unless it's the red/white heritage strip they used in the ffa cup last year, change for the sake of change is useless. Do we really want all the teams to be clones of eachother? The game surely has room for a bit of history, the club needs to represent what it is, Australian with origins that traces back to Greek migrants 60 years ago, if a club can't tell its story the whole thing is a waste of time, just bring in blah blah gimmick fc instead. Surely we are mature enough now for this.

Hang on.. it's South Melbourne that's saying they are no longer just a Greek club anymore, no one else is saying that, so if they really believe that and want to prove it then they should change their colors along with their logo and brand if that's what its going to take to be accepted in to the A-league. You can't do it half arsed and just pretend they ain't a Greek club anymore just by saying it, that's not gonna work.
The red and white strip from the FFA Cup is a good one I agree, it represents the clubs History as well as the South Melbourne community from which the club was born from and will attract people from the area even maybe some ex bloods fans. They will still have their History nobody can take that away from them. But if they want to join the A-league they can't be living off past glories the club will have to be presented as a new Beginning.

Hang on.. it's South Melbourne that's saying they are no longer just a Greek club anymore, no one else is saying that, so if they really believe that and want to prove it then they should change their colors along with their logo and brand if that's what its going to take to be accepted in to the A-league. You can't do it half arsed and just pretend they ain't a Greek club anymore just by saying it, that's not gonna work.
The red and white strip from the FFA Cup is a good one I agree, it represents the clubs History as well as the South Melbourne community from which the club was born from and will attract people from the area even maybe some ex bloods fans. They will still have their History nobody can take that away from them. But if they want to join the A-league they can't be living off past glories the club will have to be presented as a new Beginning.

Does victory remain victory if you change the colours and the name?

The club is Australian, its Founders were Greek immigrants , is something wrong with the name south Melbourne fc? Sounds like a perfectly acceptable name, they can change the logo as they did when they were called lakers briefly, or even add a gimmick name like south Melbourne (insert something stupid), the fact is it needs to be a continuation of the 60 year old club. It's keeping club history in tact, not Greek history, that means all the success and trophies won, the links to the current Socceroos boss, all that stuff has to remain. When they walk out on the 1st game they play Simon hill has to label them 4 time NSL champions, the same way they talk about Perths NSL success, that's what the fans want to remain.

It can't afford to be a near total whitewash like heart to city pretty much was, we are seeing an identity struggling to be carved out with that club. South can be a much bigger club IMO, but it needs to come across as the real deal or something close to it, and not 3rd plastic team in Melbourne. The fans are happy with red/white, because it's part of the clubs history, that's the important thing, any change have to contain a level of meaning, imagine they want to parade all their past champion teams and honour them..but they can't because it's forced to be a brand new club, what would be the point.

It has nothing to do with Greeks or Greek history, it's south Melbourne history, and it should be promoted.

As much as I hated the mongrels in the NSL, South are the best candidates to join the A-League currently and I'd fully support their bid. A very well run club with plenty of history and support

Does victory remain victory if you change the colours and the name?

The club is Australian, its Founders were Greek immigrants , is something wrong with the name south Melbourne fc? Sounds like a perfectly acceptable name, they can change the logo as they did when they were called lakers briefly, or even add a gimmick name like south Melbourne (insert something stupid), the fact is it needs to be a continuation of the 60 year old club. It's keeping club history in tact, not Greek history, that means all the success and trophies won, the links to the current Socceroos boss, all that stuff has to remain. When they walk out on the 1st game they play Simon hill has to label them 4 time NSL champions, the same way they talk about Perths NSL success, that's what the fans want to remain.

It can't afford to be a near total whitewash like heart to city pretty much was, we are seeing an identity struggling to be carved out with that club. South can be a much bigger club IMO, but it needs to come across as the real deal or something close to it, and not 3rd plastic team in Melbourne. The fans are happy with red/white, because it's part of the clubs history, that's the important thing, any change have to contain a level of meaning, imagine they want to parade all their past champion teams and honour them..but they can't because it's forced to be a brand new club, what would be the point.

It has nothing to do with Greeks or Greek history, it's south Melbourne history, and it should be promoted.

Maybe my wording as Greek club was wrong Greek heritage, Greek backed more appropriate, whatever, People will always associate the club to being Greek the way it is like it or not and that's a problem to Lowy's FFA.

Nobody is saying they have to scrap their history like I said nobody can take that away from them, only that they need a new beginning similar to how Port moved into the AFL from the SANFL.

For what it's worth I think South Melbourne as it is will make a great addition to the A-League I have no problem either way. I always thought they would have made a greater impact to the league had their "Southern Cross Melbourne" venture been accepted instead of Heart.

My only beef is with the club saying they don't just represent the Greek community anymore they are more broad based now! well I'm yet to see any proof of that, logo and colours are the some fans are pretty much still mostly Greek (nothing wrong with that btw) do they still sing Hellas at the games? What steps has the club taken to broaden their appeal to the wider Melbourne community? What can they offer potential football fans different from Victory or City? that's what I want to see. By all reports they are trying real hard, but still a long way to go.

Last edited:
Changing colours would be a massive mistake as it'd alienate most of the current fanbase.

The beauty of SMFC going in is that they'd have instant rivalry with Victory as well as Jets, Roar and Glory from their NSL days.

Ok well a large chunk of the clubs sponsorship, healthy I may add is non Greek (major sponsor Toyota), the matchday experience is in line with how you would attend an a league match, sponsor ads on the video scoreboard, dance/pop music pre game and at half time (not a fan lol), it's all very streamlined and has been for quite some time, themed rounds like cancer awareness (team wore a pink playing strip), its hard to explain but the greekness is not promoted, it just lingers in a historical way (you may walk past a few old men chatting in Greek), if that makes sense? The set up is very professional and very different to your standard npl fare, it's one of the main reasons why I still go, they go out of their way to package together a nice club feel, kids from the junior teams everywhere, the various women's teams are always in attendance, it has a nice vibe, and the club always puts it hand up to host the Socceroos when they they're in town. The fans chant in English and use mostly English styled chants, this is primarily because over half the active group is non Greek, they have 1 traditional trumpet chant which incorporates the word hellas and I think one other and that's it. The corporate sections are pretty busy for most games, it's not exactly your local game down the park. The most important thing though is that it's an inclusive environment, you feel welcomed and games are a fun experience....head over to Melbourne Knights and you're basically walking into Zagreb...it's night and day.

I'm happy for the playing strips to mix it up a bit, the team was using a grey strip a few years ago, the red/white is loved by the fans because of its links to the old south Melbourne united, the Anglo club that merged to create SM hellas, but I think theirs room for the blue/white as well. At the end of the day if private investors are putting 7 million into this bid they must see something in the club.

The multi million dollar social club opening in a couple of months will just add another dimension to the club, brand new offices and facilities, a restaurant/bar, a futsal centre amongst other things, this will all be in lakeside complex, and that's where the big point of difference is, a team with its own identity and its own ground.

I think playing at AAMI park has never served heart/city well. When they built the thing it was labelled as "built for victory"..that's instantly puts you in a tough spot, SM will be in its own world, its own environment and offering a more club feel matchday experience, will never have to hear jokes about empty green seats etc. my heavy bias aside it feels right.

Last edited:
Maybe my wording as Greek club was wrong Greek heritage, Greek backed more appropriate, whatever, People will always associate the club to being Greek the way it is like it or not and that's a problem to Lowy's FFA.

Nobody is saying they have to scrap their history like I said nobody can take that away from them, only that they need a new beginning similar to how Port moved into the AFL from the SANFL.

For what it's worth I think South Melbourne as it is will make a great addition to the A-League I have no problem either way. I always thought they would have made a greater impact to the league had their "Southern Cross Melbourne" venture been accepted instead of Heart.

My only beef is with the club saying they don't just represent the Greek community anymore they are more broad based now! well I'm yet to see any proof of that, logo and colours are the some fans are pretty much still mostly Greek (nothing wrong with that btw) do they still sing Hellas at the games? What steps has the club taken to broaden their appeal to the wider Melbourne community? What can they offer potential football fans different from Victory or City? that's what I want to see. By all reports they are trying real hard, but still a long way to go.
My two cents as a boy with Greek background who goes to South games on occasion is that yes, a lot of the crowd is Greek, and a few of the chants are Greek (most of them are the guys that were behind the flares at the friendlies in June), but there is enough diversity that an Anglo can feel comfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My two cents as a boy with Greek background who goes to South games on occasion is that yes, a lot of the crowd is Greek, and a few of the chants are Greek (most of them are the guys that were behind the flares at the friendlies in June), but there is enough diversity that an Anglo can feel comfortable.
As an anglo, I have never understood this fear some have of feeling uncomfortable at different venues (like Knights, South, Floreat, Stirling etc). Maybe it's because I've grown up playing the game and played in such places that it doesn't worry me but I have never seen any person of a non greek/croat/maco etc etc made to feel unwelcome in the past decade. Obviously if you're from a rival clubs supporter group your going to cop some shtick but that happens regardless of ethnic allegiance.

South Melb Hellas will always be Greek based club and good on them, but like it or not they will never be allowed in the A League for that reason. Plus also the fact there are two city clubs already. I think Illawarra-Wollongong will get a franchise and possibly another QLD team. Reckon even Geelong has a better chance than South.

South Melb Hellas will always be Greek based club and good on them, but like it or not they will never be allowed in the A League for that reason. Plus also the fact there are two city clubs already. I think Illawarra-Wollongong will get a franchise and possibly another QLD team. Reckon even Geelong has a better chance than South.

The fact that they're in Melbourne is the best thing they have going for them - the broadcasters want derbies, and while I think FFA might prefer a bid to come together from the south-east corridor, no such bid sounds like it's coming.

If that is the reason then its flat out racism.

Personally its a crock of crap.

If that is the reason then its flat out racism.

Personally its a crock of crap.

They'll never acknowledge publicly the reasons for their bid not being accepted (as they haven't done for the 2 serious bids that SM have made previously) - we'll only be left to guess the reasons for it.

You're right though. It's been a big factor previously, and it's bullshit that it's the case. Until the next 2 teams are admitted I will continue to say that the game is more than mature enough in Australia now that their ethnic team heritage shouldn't preclude them from the top flight of Australian football.

The fact that they're in Melbourne is the best thing they have going for them - the broadcasters want derbies, and while I think FFA might prefer a bid to come together from the south-east corridor, no such bid sounds like it's coming.
Melbourne City is averaging just over 8000 per home game and have struggled to build their support base. Not sure how another inner city club will help that, especially with SM building a non-Greek base. It's just not going to happen.

Melbourne City is averaging just over 8000 per home game and have struggled to build their support base. Not sure how another inner city club will help that, especially with SM building a non-Greek base. It's just not going to happen.

I've heard SM officials publicly embrace their Greek heritage and argue that, on a national stage, they have a large latent supporter base. They argue that a heap of their Greek heritage NSL fans have gone back to their local NPL clubs - the Northcote Citys, the Heidelbergs etc - who will return to South if they return to the top flight.

Bare in mind also that SM would be able to turn a profit if they could match that 8k that Heart are getting.

Also, I don't think it's fair to refer to them all as "inner city clubs" - South is the only one that would identify in that way. The other 2 would argue that they represent all of Melbourne. City train at Bundoora FFS! While Victory are about to establish their academy at Footscray... though I guess that's still "inner city." I dunno, I don't spend much time out west - I don't know if gentrification has reached a point where it's a typical inner city suburb.

City need identity and being under City Firm kinda backfires on them. If you are a Chelsea/Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool fan and don't follow Victory then why the hell would you jump on board MC?

Heart had a chance to well and truly establish themselves but they stuffed it up.

I've heard SM officials publicly embrace their Greek heritage and argue that, on a national stage, they have a large latent supporter base. They argue that a heap of their Greek heritage NSL fans have gone back to their local NPL clubs - the Northcote Citys, the Heidelbergs etc - who will return to South if they return to the top flight.

Bare in mind also that SM would be able to turn a profit if they could match that 8k that Heart are getting.

Also, I don't think it's fair to refer to them all as "inner city clubs" - South is the only one that would identify in that way. The other 2 would argue that they represent all of Melbourne. City train at Bundoora FFS! While Victory are about to establish their academy at Footscray... though I guess that's still "inner city." I dunno, I don't spend much time out west - I don't know if gentrification has reached a point where it's a typical inner city suburb.
Footscray is actually now inner-city but the point is correct, Melbourne City/Heart and Melbourne Victory represent Melbourne as a whole.

South Melbourne would be the worst bid to get through. Melbourne with 3 teams is too much. Especially when two of them don't differentiate from each other and the third would be a Greek nsl club. Unless they want all SM and MC to avg under 8k a game this is a bad idea

South Melbourne won't get in based on the fact Melbourne City aren't regularly pulling big crowds alone. FFA aren't going to split the pie three ways. South Melbourne don't represent a new area (like the proposed Sydney southern suburbs team), Lakeside Stadium is about 2 ******* kilometres from AAMI Park. They won't even need to bring up the ethnic issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back