South Melbourne to officially apply to join A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello !

Dou you maybe know former Liverpool player Alun Evans ?

I'm a supporter of Liverpool F.C.

I have heard he is now living in Melbourne, VIC (Australia).

Dou you maybe know how I could contact him ?

Best regards,

Dietmar

Hi, sorry can't help you there dude. I just remember him playing out here for South Melbourne FC back in the late 70's. Was a big deal at the time getting a player like him to play in Australia. Would not have a clue where he has ended up. Can't ever recall him being back at South in any capacity over the years.

The publicity gained after their epic comeback can't have hurt.
It was bloody insane, an absolute epic comeback. 4-1 down in the 83rd then a 4 goal blitz in a crazy 12 minute spell. No need to go to extra time either lol. I was about to leave at 4-1 but was still chatting away to some mates when all of a sudden.....BANG!! Never ever seen anything like it in my 40 odd years of watching South/club soccer here. Massive relief for the whole club getting in the FFA Cup proper now.
Good write ups in the Herald-Sun as well as a report and highlights on the 6pm news bulletin on ch9 the following night which is priceless stuff. SEN where all over it as well the next day. Hopefully draw an A League club along the way now.

It was bloody insane, an absolute epic comeback. 4-1 down in the 83rd then a 4 goal blitz in a crazy 12 minute spell. No need to go to extra time either lol. I was about to leave at 4-1 but was still chatting away to some mates when all of a sudden.....BANG!! Never ever seen anything like it in my 40 odd years of watching South/club soccer here. Massive relief for the whole club getting in the FFA Cup proper now.
Good write ups in the Herald-Sun as well as a report and highlights on the 6pm news bulletin on ch9 the following night which is priceless stuff. SEN where all over it as well the next day. Hopefully draw an A League club along the way now.
As a Port fan, was very impressed at the level of professionalism at your club today as an away fan. Atmosphere, stadium and amenities were all at an A League level, yet it still had a pleasant lower league feel about it. Just about made up for South beating the mighty Port!

As a Port fan, was very impressed at the level of professionalism at your club today as an away fan. Atmosphere, stadium and amenities were all at an A League level, yet it still had a pleasant lower league feel about it. Just about made up for South beating the mighty Port!
Unfortunately couldn't get down to Lakeside today as it clashed with the North game so missed South's big 'local derby' win against Port. How did it all go? Annoys me when there is a clash but luckily only happens maybe 1-2 times a year. After Wednesday night I was possibly expecting some sort of letdown but Taylor is a hard arse coach and would have made sure the players where ready to go. The new social club is superb and with the futsal court beside it will generate income all year round for the club. It's good to grab a decent feed/drink, talk s**t with mates etc before or after games now. As much as I miss South being in the top league there is a certain rawness and fun factor playing at grass roots level you don't get watching the corporatised and sanitised AFL and A League. However I'm sure I'll miss those miserable cold Friday night games down at Port, Hume, Pascoe Vale, Oakleigh etc if South ever get back into the top flighto_O!!

Unfortunately couldn't get down to Lakeside today as it clashed with the North game so missed South's big 'local derby' win against Port. How did it all go? Annoys me when there is a clash but luckily only happens maybe 1-2 times a year. After Wednesday night I was possibly expecting some sort of letdown but Taylor is a hard arse coach and would have made sure the players where ready to go. The new social club is superb and with the futsal court beside it will generate income all year round for the club. It's good to grab a decent feed/drink, talk s**t with mates etc before or after games now. As much as I miss South being in the top league there is a certain rawness and fun factor playing at grass roots level you don't get watching the corporatised and sanitised AFL and A League. However I'm sure I'll miss those miserable cold Friday night games down at Port, Hume, Pascoe Vale, Oakleigh etc if South ever get back into the top flighto_O!!
You blokes were all over us, but we snuck a goal through a nice volley early on. From then on, it was all South.
What are your active group called? I was impressed with the noise they created with such a small group.

You blokes were all over us, but we snuck a goal through a nice volley early on. From then on, it was all South.
What are your active group called? I was impressed with the noise they created with such a small group.

Couldn't make it down yesterday was pretty sick, south streamed the game live on the fb page, I thought we were very lacklustre and came out half asleep, 2nd half was a bit better but pretty poor performance overall. All 3 goals were nice.

Did you go inside the social club? You can watch the game inside on about 6 screens if you don't want to sit out in the cold, very convenient during winter.

Couldn't make it down yesterday was pretty sick, south streamed the game live on the fb page, I thought we were very lacklustre and came out half asleep, 2nd half was a bit better but pretty poor performance overall. All 3 goals were nice.

Did you go inside the social club? You can watch the game inside on about 6 screens if you don't want to sit out in the cold, very convenient during winter.
No I didn't, but seeing as I was supporting your opponents I wasn't really feeling comfortable doing so.
I'm actually going again on Sunday to watch the Avondale match because I have a mate playing for them, so can't wait!

No I didn't, but seeing as I was supporting your opponents I wasn't really feeling comfortable doing so.
I'm actually going again on Sunday to watch the Avondale match because I have a mate playing for them, so can't wait!

The Avondale game has been postponed apparently.

You should have gone in to check it out, it's pretty neat, doesn't matter if you were going for port anyone can go in.

What's this I hear about Roberto Carlos wanting to coach South ??

What's this I hear about Roberto Carlos wanting to coach South ??

South have links with Real Madrid via the legendary Ferenc Puskas(who coached South for 3 seasons back in the early 90's). A few years ago we were on the same stage as Real when we were awarded the Oceania club of the century at a FIFA awards ceremony. We also regularly send our junior teams over there for training and tournaments. Carlos I think works in the background at Real so paths must have crossed. He has coached around the traps without much success however he is still a massive, massive name. South have basically bought him out as a publicity stunt to show the FFA that we are serious and ready to join the A League. They have indicated that he would be the inaugural coach. I would assume he'd bring in his own coaching team team and would, more importantly be able to attract some decent players to as well (possibly a 45 year old Ronaldo lol). The club is using him this week to conduct junior training and is having a function at Crown Palladium where 500 tickets have been sold. Can only be a good thing I suppose. I don't think many other bids are as serious and advanced as South's.

Looked like it was a great event at crown last night, fox sports news crossed live to it with bozza and davutovic a few times.

Daniel Andrews was there and spoke, Anthony Koutoufidis a long time South fan was there, lots of other heavy hitters as well in the political landscape, in terms of ex players Paul wade, paddy kisnorbo and Goran lozanovski made appearances..at least from what was visible probably many more.

From all reports Roberts Carlos stole the show, a true showman and very humble. I've looked at his coaching record and whilst it doesn't look flash he hasn't really coached anyone decent, like the 2 teams in turkey are notorious strugglers.

Nobody knows what the ffa will do but the bid really does look a cut above at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL as if Roberto Carlos is going to coach South Melbourne! This is nothing more then a publicity stunt by South to showcase to the FFA their intentions by highlighting its vast connections and resources available to itself.

Nobody knows what the ffa will do but the bid really does look a cut above at this point.

The bid is the best hands down on paper, but South still has a stigma attached to it. How much are South willing to change to enter the A-league because ultimately that's what the FFA will want. Will it change its logo? it's colours? it's Name? how can it attract more mainstream support apart from the Greek community say like concentrate its main support in the south eastern suburbs? will it be able to achieve this? if so how? will it sacrifice severing its ties completely from the Greek community in order to do so?

Then there is the other factor will Melbourne be ready for three teams? will it dilute support away from City and Victory? will the FFA be prepared to enter a third Melbourne team with City still not being able to Average 10K. (-derbies)

As good as it looks South have a hell of a long way to prove they are ready! and so does the Melbourne public imo, because the Melbourne public sure weren't ready or crying out for a second Melbourne team why would we need a third? That to me is the $6million question.

Last edited:
As much as it is probably the best bid, it would be ridiculous for a third Melbourne team to be in the league.
For me the bid with the most potential is Tassie, unfortunately it is very much an unknown in terms of sponsorship dollars.

LOL as if Roberto Carlos is going to coach South Melbourne! This is nothing more then a publicity stunt by South to showcase to the FFA their intentions by highlighting its vast connections and resources available to itself.

The bid is the best hands down on paper, but South still has a stigma attached to it. How much are South willing to change to enter the A-league because ultimately that's what the FFA will want. Will it change its logo? it's colours? it's Name? how can it attract more mainstream support apart from the Greek community say like concentrate its main support in the south eastern suburbs? will it be able to achieve this? if so how? will it sacrifice severing its ties completely from the Greek community in order to do so?

Then there is the other factor will Melbourne be ready for three teams? will it dilute support away from City and Victory? will the FFA be prepared to enter a third Melbourne team with City still not being able to Average 10K. (-derbies)

As good as it looks South have a hell of a long way to prove they are ready! and so does the Melbourne public imo, because the Melbourne public sure weren't ready or crying out for a second Melbourne team why would we need a third? That to me is the $6million question.

What exactly do you want changed? The name is south Melbourne fc, the colours would be blue/white and red/white you would imagine. I'm of the opinion the extra media coverage a 3rd team will bring will actually help, it will give city an extra derby and guarantee more public consumption of A league football in this city, this Roberts Carlos stuff for eg generated huge coverage in the middle of afl season.

I don't think you can compare south to heart/city, that was always going to be a slow burn, at the time I don't think the Melbourne public were ready for a team that was cloned on victory with different colours.

What exactly do you want changed? The name is south Melbourne fc, the colours would be blue/white and red/white you would imagine. I'm of the opinion the extra media coverage a 3rd team will bring will actually help, it will give city an extra derby and guarantee more public consumption of A league football in this city, this Roberts Carlos stuff for eg generated huge coverage in the middle of afl season.

South are saying they want to change in order to join the A-league they are the ones saying we ain't a mono ethnic club anymore and that everyone from the community are welcomed which is a good thing to say. But from the outside I still see everything is the some, Logo, Colours, "Hellas" still being used and predominantly still Greek support.

So I ask again as I have on the previous pages of this thread, What have they changed apart from saying we ain't Greek anymore? and what will they change in order to be accepted in the A-League? if the FFA say they need to completely distance themselves from old South Melbourne and start as a new "Franchise" with new colours, logo, represent a new region and community as i've mentioned e.g the south eastern suburbs, will South go to those lengths to change? and if so will they be able to achieve success on and off field with the changes?

I don't think you can compare south to heart/city, that was always going to be a slow burn, at the time I don't think the Melbourne public were ready for a team that was cloned on victory with different colours.

I agree with this, Heart was setup wrong from the start and their failure to gain any traction or success has set the game back in Melbourne on a national scale with a sigh of caution, I am amazed how Victory are still able to sustain success and popularity after their initial success early on with all the "bandwagan" effect back then. When Heart come in it looked for a period that Victory will stagnate but instead they actually got stronger and more successful on and off field despite a second team in town. So the potential is there for a third team.

But the question still remains. Are we now as a City ready to accept a third team into the A-league whether it be South or any other bid, considering the contrast between the two current Melbourne clubs?

Last edited:
I find it hilarious South want to join a league that the majority of their supporters have s**t canned for the last 10 years.

I find it hilarious South want to join a league that the majority of their supporters have s**t canned for the last 10 years.

The majority of south supporters are either neutral or already partly follow an A league team, we just happen to have a couple of peanuts on social media who create that negative perception, if anything most south fans are sceptical of the ffa, but then again which football fan isn't these days?

The majority of south supporters are either neutral or already partly follow an A league team, we just happen to have a couple of peanuts on social media who create that negative perception, if anything most south fans are sceptical of the ffa, but then again which football fan isn't these days?
Would have thought "a couple" is the majority of South fans considering crowds these days.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Would have thought "a couple" is the majority of South fans considering crowds these days.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Most of the fan base is either dormant or prefer to attend away games when South play in the local area they live in.

The ffa cup if south get a few home games would be a more realistic measure of crowds.

It's pretty hard to promote south Melbourne v Avondale..most of my mates didn't even know Avondale had a team.

If South need to wait for City to regularly average 10k+ they might as well give up their bid now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back