Ben Lovett
Peter Mamouzelos
Shaquai Mitchell
Davvy Moale
Hame Sele
Leon Te Hau
Izaac Thompson

2023 Losses

Mark Nicholls (Dolphins), Kodi Nikorima (Dolphins), Jaxson Paulo (Roosters).

ssfc_content_2023_draw_a4297x210mm_v3-1.jpg

That was a training run for souths against my piss poor dragons. Agree with Davy Moale, needs to be on the interchange bench.

Instead of following Souths (I jumped onboard when I lived in Maroubra for a year back in the mid '00s) simply by checking to see the results whenever I think of it during the season, I've decided to buckle down and watch every match this season. I'd never watched a full game outside of finals before Saturday night. Anyway, thoroughly enjoyable game, most of the rules made sense and a reasonably comfortable win considering the circumstances. An auspicious beginning :thumbsu:

It's a lot to pay for a centre especially when we already have one on the other edge who's already one of the best in the comp. But his versatility will be very handy with the ability to fill in at 1, 6 and 7 also.

Potential 2024 side:

1. Latrell
2. Johnston
3. Wighton
4. Graham
5. Tass/Karapani?
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Arrow
12. Keon
13. Murray

14. Havili
15. Host
16. Moale
17. Sele/Duncan

It's a lot to pay for a centre especially when we already have one on the other edge who's already one of the best in the comp. But his versatility will be very handy with the ability to fill in at 1, 6 and 7 also.

Potential 2024 side:

1. Latrell
2. Johnston
3. Wighton
4. Graham
5. Tass/Karapani?
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Arrow
12. Keon
13. Murray

14. Havili
15. Host
16. Moale
17. Sele/Duncan
Wouldn't say no to that talent. Injuries will always occur, he makes the side stronger.

Just reading this on a Wigan site (discussing SB going to Warrington). This is all news to me; haven't recalled hearing it mentioned on this site. Any comments?

Souths’ ‘smoke and mirrors’ busted as real reason behind Burgess’ ugly divorce revealed

South Sydney’s reasons behind the immediate departure of former assistant coach Sam Burgess has been labelled “smoke and mirrors” with the final moments of the club great since revealed

According to a Rabbitohs statement, Burgess walked out of his position to focus on his upcoming job at Warrington and the birth of his child, however Fox League’s James Hooper says it’s all “smoke and mirrors” with the real reason being laid bare on NRL 360.

“Make no mistake, there’s been a major fallout between Sam Burgess and Jason Demetriou. It’s been brewing in the background over the past couple of months,” Hooper said.

What happened today was that all of South Sydney’s club management and also all of the players were called into an emergency meeting first thing this morning at 7am and by 8am, Sammy Burgess was out the door. They hadn’t been able to resolve their differences.

“Russell Crowe got on the phone at one point and ended up hanging up on Sam Burgess. They weren’t able to find middle ground so as a result, Sam departs the club.”

Both Burgess and John Morris were in the firing line on Wednesday morning, however according to The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis, only Morris wished to “fall into line” at Souths.

John Morris remains at Souths until the end of this year before going to the Tigers. The question was put to them - can you two fall in line? Sam Burgess said no, John Morris said yes and he remains,” Carayannis said.

Souths have been a club under fire over the past few days. The play and effort of Latrell Mitchell have been called out after a horror performance against the Knights on Sunday.

The differing standards Demetriou has of Mitchell and Cody Walker compared to other players has caused friction in the side, especially with Burgess as Hooper explained.

The way it’s been explained to me is that Sam went to Jason Demetriou and aired the issues that he had around the playing group and the standards and he aired those quite openly to Demetriou and the other coaches,” Hooper said.

“Since Latrell Mitchell has returned from injury, there are a couple of things that Sam has spotted at training and in games that he wanted to call out.”

Carayannis added: “I don’t think Sunday was the breaking point of the relationship. This has been bubbling on in the background for the last couple of months.

“I don’t think all the travel Souths have done has helped them, cause they’ve been living in each other’s pockets for the last few months and that exposes cracks, particularly when you are losing.”

Carayannis also referenced the player-led standards or lack thereof that has frustrated Burgess during the Bunnies form slump.

“Are the standards good enough, and that comes back to what Sam Burgess’ angst has been,” Carayannis said.

“Are there enough players buying into what should be happening at South Sydney and that’s what stems from all the frustrations that Sam has developed over the last couple of months.

“He doesn’t believe the senior players are doing enough to drive the standards to a level that is high enough to win a premiership.”

NRL 360 co-host Braith Anasta asked Hooper whether the comments from Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly on Wednesday for why Burgess walked out on the club were genuine reasons.

Smoke and mirrors Braith, it’s a complete fairytale. Yes it is true that Sam has a young family which is about to get one more member and he is also taking on the head coaching position at Warrington,” Hooper said.

“When you strip it all back, this started a couple of months ago and Sam noticed some things around the Bunnies’ training standards, around their discipline in games, certainly around their defensive structures... He called all that out.

“Since it’s made its way into the media over the last 48 hours, that’s what has blown it all up and brought it to a head.

“I don’t think Jason Demetriou would have been unhappy to see the back of Sam Burgess.”

Anasta was curious to know if Burgess’ relationship with any of the players had deteriorated in addition to Demetriou.

“This is what I’m interested in. To me the players I speak too, he hasn’t ruffled feathers with, so he has he ruffled feathers with?” Anasta asked.

Hooper responded: “I would suggest given the reports, Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker wouldn’t have been too happy with the suggestions that Sam believed they ran the club, the standards had slipped and everyone had taken shortcuts.

Even after signing on to coach Warrington in the Super League from 2024, there was a belief that Burgess could return after a stint in the UK and coach in the NRL at Souths.

Most would rule out that possibility after the events of today, but Hooper thinks it certainly still could happen.

“I don’t think this is the last we’re going to see of Sam Burgess in the NRL, he’s going to be back,” Hooper said.

“I have no question if things go pear-shaped at South Sydney, as they have this season, I think the next head coach at the Rabbitohs will be Sam Burgess and it could be as early as 2025 if things don’t go according to script.”

Souths have lost four of their past 12 matches, and have slipped to eighth spot on the ladder. They will need to beat arch-rivals the Roosters in the last round to play finals footy.

In a season full of surprises and upsets, the Rabbitohs missing the eight would be the biggest of them all, with Hooper likening it to the horrific collapse of the Broncos last season to miss the finals.

“This is a more spectacular collapse than whem the Broncos missed the eight last year. They were on top of the competition after Round 11,” Hooper opined.

“And now Sam Burgess, who is out and out red and green royalty and only bought in as an assistant in August last year, is out the door.”

Former rugby league great Ben Elias was incredulous with what occured at the Rabbitohs, believing Burgess has a right to feel “insulted”.

“Obviously what’s happened, with two games to go, to be asked to leave the place is disgusting, insulting and terrible. There’s no two ways about it,” Elias said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a24fa2b67d

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's obvious there is internal dysfunction. Whenever a talented team plays dispirited on the field, cops hidings, there is a locker room division.

That Sam Burgess was sacked for criticizing that culture last season, the board/owners backing the coach and star players, shows they buried their heads in their asses, instead of realizing the truth and fixing things.

Demetriou needs to go for being soft, but the board/owner need to first be against the culture of laziness and/or privilege that's creating the division.

So....firing Demetriou and getting rid of Mitchell and whomever else is part of that culture.

As someone who doesn't really have skin in the game, I will say that the poster who mentioned earlier about comparing Mitchell's attitude to Tedesco, Turbo, and others, was spot-on. there's clearly not a good culture at Souths. That said, I don't like Burgess at all. Not a nice guy at all, and I have little doubt he'll soon dump Warrington.

As someone who doesn't really have skin in the game, I will say that the poster who mentioned earlier about comparing Mitchell's attitude to Tedesco, Turbo, and others, was spot-on. there's clearly not a good culture at Souths. That said, I don't like Burgess at all. Not a nice guy at all, and I have little doubt he'll soon dump Warrington.

Burgess as coach .?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Souths made a blew not searching for a new coach post Bennett, was never going to work with Bennett's apprentice taking the wings, rookie coach can't let the senior players run the show which JD has done. It's clear Mitchell has been given full rein to do what he wants. Bennett can man manage the way he does because he has 40 years experience and everyone respects him, JD had to earn that respect.

Mitchell's brother - in the side.
Mitchell's best mate - purchased when they lacked middles, didn't need a centre.
Mitchell's fitness - obviously too heavy for the fullback role, yet JD lets him bludge every training session.
Never in support when someone makes a break, always out of position in defence.

The guy is a dead set cancer on the club.

Coaching is about timing, no way will Burgess come straight back to Souths, he'll see out his 3 years at the Wolves, build up some credits then give the NRL a crack. If he comes back straight away and Souths keep losing Burgess's credits go backward.

Coaching is about timing, no way will Burgess come straight back to Souths, he'll see out his 3 years at the Wolves, build up some credits then give the NRL a crack. If he comes back straight away and Souths keep losing Burgess's credits go backward.
Well, that's what he should do. We'll see if he has the patience. Because I don't think his side are going to be pulling up trees any time soon! :D

Apparently rumor today Mal Meninga could be signed as interim head coach, in lie of Demetriou getting fired. Interim because it seems olear Bennett would be signed for 2025
Anyone that can get the best out of Latrell till Wayne returns is good with me

Horses for courses tho. Example, that didnt work for the Tigers with Sheen. They needed a reset button, a fresh coach with a fresh vision, to spark a new culture. Benji Marshall.

Whereas a club like Souths needs the opposite. Someone old school to rein the playing group in.

They need a coach that will make the indigenous players actually have a go.

Watching Souths train is embarrassing.. Walker and Mitchell do * all the whole session and the dumbass coach lets it ride.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back