Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Claremont have lost 2016 premiership player Marty Allison to North Hobart and Hobart have lost club leading goalkicker and full forward Sam Reeves to Glenorchy.
New Norfolk have announced Josh Clifford as senior coach with former Hobart reserves coach Adam Savill as his bench coach
Corey Ransley named as the Eagles reserves coach, Paul Clarke coaching the Colts with David Kube announced as women's coach.
New Norfolk have signed Daniel Coppleman from Glenorchy.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Grand Finalist Huonville Lions have lost their star full forward Michael Paul to TSL club, Kingborough.
Cygnet also lost talented youngster Elijah Reardon to Kingborough as well.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard a rumour Troy Cunliffe, back to back Lietch medallist has left Clarence and gone back to Lindisfarne.
They won't lose a game next year. Declare them premiers now. Brighton have picked up a couple but the rest seem pretty light on. Won't get near Lindisfarne anyway.
Big loss for Huonville losing Micky Paul, without him this year they were a rabble.
They'll struggle to play finals.
Looks like your mob will be struggling again next year KP. Too many good players lost from a team that missed finals this year.
Heard a rumour at work the other week that Hobart are struggling for coin especially after this year because of a lack of access to the TCA and huge ground rent costs? Eg: lack of revenue.
It'd be interesting to see how the other teams fared coin wise, wouldda been a struggle with the poor turnouts at most games, will the SFL finally get off its arse and get a sponsor this year?

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh it's not a secret that Hobart found it difficult to raise money this season.
No junior football played at the ground for a year, no womens football, only one colts game (featuring a side that had no reserves or seniors playing there so virtually no spectators), no training allowed for the entire season so Thursday nights in the bar was lost.
Small attendances plus having to hire grounds such as New Town and Queenborough for colts and women's matches plus pay for umpires at all those games. A lot of normally guaranteed revenue lost. It all stacks up in the end.
Hobart also pays the highest rent of any SFL club at approximately $16,000 per year for use of the TCA (I believe New Norfolk, Huonville Lions, Cygnet, Sorell and Dodges Ferry paid nothing/almost nothing for their venues) and thankfully our rent was dropped to just under $10,000 for the year.
But it is a significant millstone for the club, yes.
Luckily HFC Sports Club was able to cover the losses incurred but you wouldn't want to have too many more years like that.

So I'm told, the SFL did actually have some kind of sponsorship (not sure who and not sure how much) but said sponsor actually pulled their sponsorship in disgust three days after the disgraceful debàcle at North Hobart when the rep team got a 152-point pasting by the NTFA. Allegedly.
The fact that I don't even know who their sponsor was says that they're not promoting them anywhere near well enough and it's not a surprise that they pulled the pin.
As for the clubs and on field, you'd tend to think Lindisfarne would start favourite again with how they fared through the ranks - not sure how many, if any they've lost (is Cassidy lining up again?).
I'm not sure who the others have gained or lost yet outside of one or two here and there, the bottom three would more than likely be Sorell, Hobart and maybe Brighton.
Hobart will mostly likely struggle to win many games given the players they've lost but it's an opportunity for others to step up.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Been to Bali for my holidays and back to Tassie for another big year ahead!
I saw in the paper during the week New Norfolk are selling their clubrooms out teh back of Boyer.
Sounds like they might be in financial trouble, how long have they had that for? major sponsor for NN is some local gym.

An old Hobart supporter at the pub I drink at reckons Hobart will be gone within 10 years. Said the place was not the same anymore and a lot of the old supporters & workers have started drifting away. Reckoned the players and supporters didn't mix at all and the atmosphere was gone.
Hope not. Thats the last thing footy here needs is having more clubs go under.
I heard Ogilvie got in trouble from Trish Squires at AFL Tas for not publicly thanking her by name on facebook over a post made about sourcing funding from Taswater to water Dodges ground because it was baked completely dry and was unusable on the SFL facebook page recently. Egos at play still.

Jul 16, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers, Hurricanes,
An old Hobart supporter at the pub I drink at reckons Hobart will be gone within 10 years. Said the place was not the same anymore and a lot of the old supporters & workers have started drifting away. Reckoned the players and supporters didn't mix at all and the atmosphere was gone.
Hope not. Thats the last thing footy here needs is having more clubs go under.
Interested to read this bit, I've been well involved at HFC over a reasonable number of years. Unfortunately for us the reality is more that supporters/volunteers we have are getting older and can't put in the time they once could due to illness, etc. The players who retire or move on don't seem to contribute like in the "old days" to fill this void. I think this is experienced by most Tassie clubs and I'm not sure how it can be addressed. I'd reject the bit about the players and supporters not mixing but otherwise your point is an unfortunate reality.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes as JM71 said, Hobart's no different to any other club unfortunately.
A lot of our volunteers are old, oldest is about 81 I believe. Our main "waterboy" is 65 years old.
Most of the past players don't get involved in doing anything for varying reasons and it makes it tough to keep the club running when few people put their hands up to help and with our lack of success for so many years, our supporter base has dropped off. Quite a few have passed away too.
Claremont's SFLW team and Lindisfarne's players run the kiosks at their home matches I've noticed.
New Norfolk supposedly sold their clubrooms because there was not enough volunteers to run it, so I was told (might be true, might not).
Not sure about money problems, haven't heard about it.
Oh, August 1972 they opened their clubrooms, was funded equally by their club and Australian Newsprint Mills matching dollar for dollar.
That said, it must be very difficult for all the clubs in the SFL to make any money with the generally poor crowds these days, sponsorship's not easy to come by either, the future is quite concerning.
It'll be interesting to see what comes about in regard to what Brighton's future is, there is significant talk that they may possibly go into recess very soon owing to a lack of players, hopefully they'll be able to get enough together to push on.
That'd be the third Tasmanian league club to do so in the space of a week, with Circular Head Giants (Smithton) and Natone from the North West also pulling the plug on the 2019 season.
But hey, let's all fund AFLX....

Last edited:

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
As reported in the Mercury during the week, Brighton will field only one team in the SFL this season.
A senior team with no reserves and no colts. Not sure where this leaves them if they have any injuries as to where they'll get players from should that occur.
Have heard a rumour that coach Matthew Smith is no longer coaching the club and that the reserves coach Matthew Coppleman has taken the reigns for the season but nothing's been confirmed as yet.
Conspicuously, there's been nothing mentioned at all on the club's facebook page about what's going on with the club.
They do however have a women's team playing in the SFLW competition and their junior club seems to be doing ok.

It is a matter of great concern that a club in possibly the biggest growth area in southern Tasmania that encompasses areas such as Old Beach, Bridgewater, Gagebrook, Herdsmans Cove, Tea Tree, Brighton, Pontville, Mangalore, Bagdad, Elderslie, Broadmarsh, Pelham, Tunnack, Colebrook and the rest of the southern midlands, cannot garner enough players to form three teams.
You have to wonder what's gone on there.
That club has been around for a very long time (as Mangalore until 1996) and was a power club for many years in the SFL, it won a flag in 1998 and lost a grand final in 1999 but since then has slid down the ladder continuously for a large number of years.
Brighton were considered good enough to be in the SFL Premier League from 2002-2008 competing against the former TFL sides along with Kingborough and Lauderdale (both who have gone on to play in the current TSL, regarded as the top tier of Tasmanian football) but never made the finals in its seven years of involvement.
It's quite puzzling really and given that their situation is even more dire than it was last year, it's not looking very positive.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
It was also reported during the week that AFL Tasmania and the SFL had entered into a partnership from this season.

"In a major step for community football in Tasmania, the Southern Football League (SFL) have become the first league to put pen to paper on an affiliation agreement with AFL Tasmania.
After thorough consultation with leagues and associations, AFL Tasmania yesterday distributed the final affiliation agreement to all leagues, statewide.
SFL are the first to formally confirm an affiliation agreement with AFL Tasmania, that will see the two organisations work closer together than ever before. The affiliation affords the SFL a suite of benefits and ensures two way accountability between both parties. It builds a strong foundation for greater collaboration and new initiatives for a strong and sustainable community football. It will also see the formation of the southern hub which will provide services for community football in the south of the state with dedicated staffing funded by the AFL. The hub is a central administration body to service the affiliated leagues in the region. It will reduce the burden placed on volunteers at all levels and through affiliation will look at providing greater services for leagues and members at all levels.
It is hoped that the affiliation agreement will be the first of many to be struck with leagues and associations across Tasmania. The hub structures being rolled out in the south will also be put in place in the north and north west regions, pending affiliation.
AFL Tasmania CEO Trisha Squires said the signing of the affiliation agreement was a momentous step forward.
“It is fantastic to have an affiliation agreement in place with the SFL and to formalise a really promising partnership and get the ball rolling on the establishment of hubs.
“We need a united game and fostering partnerships and collaboration between the game’s various bodies is incredibly important in growing and strengthening footy in Tasmania,” Squires explained.
“The SFL are the first to sign and we anticipate other leagues and associations will also look to sign on soon. We are really excited to see league’s strike agreements and to launch the hubs in all three regions.
“I think we will all look back at affiliation and the start of the hubs as a significant development for Tassie footy. We will see the growth of services the hub will provide over time and that will ultimately improve community football.

“The hubs have amazing potential to assist everyone’s football experience – from the administrator to the volunteer to the participant. It is an exciting step for Tassie footy.”

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Any news in SFL land?
Any practice matches been played?
It's been very very quiet on the news front with this league.
Brighton to field one team? Been hearing on the grapevine they might not be even able to field one! Could be curtains for them.
Lindisfarne seem to be picking up heaps again, players only want to be at successful clubs these days, everyone wins a prize attitude - no wonder footy's had it.
Might as well pencil Lindisfarne down for at least two possibly three flags this year, womens comp is a tossup between them, SE Suns and Brighton who picked up a whole bunch from Clarence in the summer.
Controversial statement time - SFLW will be bigger than the SFL mens comp within the next 5-7 years. Bookmark it.
That SFL is going down the gurgler fast and unless there's a miracle, it won't improve.
Interesting to see a "partnership" between SFL and AFL Tas - is that because they want AFL Tas to run everything because they're too lazy to run it themselves?
With the two absolute knobjockeys they've had there in the last 6-7-8 years running it, can see why its struggling.
Wouldn't know a f***** Sherrin from a Kookaburra!

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Hobart went down to DOSA by sbout three points in the Tye Bennett Memorial match played out at Campania under lights last week.
As far as I can recall, Hobart hasn't ever beaten DOSA in a pre-season game, I think they drew out at Claremont a couple of years back.
A few weeks ago Hobart went down to St Virgils by about five or six goals out at the SVC Austins Ferry ground.
Both times they had shocking starts and gave away a truckload of goals early and played better as the matches went on.
I haven't seen any mention of any other practice matches, sorry.

The opening round of the 2019 SFL Season begins on Saturday, 6 April.
● Huonville Lions v Cygnet at Huonville Rec. Ground (2pm)
● Sorell v Hobart at Pembroke Park (2pm)
● Dodges Ferry v Brighton at Shark Park (2pm)
● New Norfolk v Lindisfarne at Boyer Oval (3pm)
Bye: Claremont.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting to see your boys getting toweled up by the Saints there, they only won about 1 game last year in the Scholars.
Either they've picked up a heap or Hobart's not much. I did hear the Old Scholars teams are cherry picking a heap of players from the SFL brcause the players don't wanna train, just play footy and get paid without doing much.
And here's me thinking the Old Scholars weren't supposed to be paying players? Or did that go out the window years ago?
Who's the tips for the top five this year? If Brighton falls over or goes into recess for the year they'll at least have an even 8 clubs.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Beautide The Tassie Terminator
Interesting to see your boys getting toweled up by the Saints there, they only won about 1 game last year in the Scholars.
Either they've picked up a heap or Hobart's not much. I did hear the Old Scholars teams are cherry picking a heap of players from the SFL brcause the players don't wanna train, just play footy and get paid without doing much.
And here's me thinking the Old Scholars weren't supposed to be paying players? Or did that go out the window years ago?
Who's the tips for the top five this year? If Brighton falls over or goes into recess for the year they'll at least have an even 8 clubs.

There's a few from uni that have gone to Huonville. Huonville will be strong definitely top 3 for me.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
My top five would be Lindisfarne easily on top spot.
Second through fourth would be harder to call as I don't know who's picked up who of any note but Dodges Ferry, Cygnet and probably Huonville Lions or Claremont.
Claremont should still be about, probably not as dangerpus as previous years but still good enough.
Huonville were atrocious when Micky Paul was out last year and it'll be interesting to see if these new recruits will have the sort of impact he did on their side.
Fighting for fifth spot, New Norfolk, I hear they haven't got much up there, Hobart have had a pretty fair turnover of players and lost their full forward.
Sorell under Jock McGregor improved a lot in the second half of the season but probably not good enough yet to be a finals side.
Brighton, well if they make it through the whole season they'll have done well, never know, they might pick up a few blokes mid season.
That's probably how I think it'll end up.
1) Lindisfarne
2) Dodges Ferry
3) Claremont
4) Huonville Lions.
5) Cygnet
9) Brighton

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Looks pretty close to how it'll be.
I think Sorell might surprise a few this year.
Sorry to say KP but I think Sorell will finish above your blokes.
I'd say it's going to end up as an 8 team comp this year.

Brighton Football Club now in major danger of collapse or at least heading into recess [which usually spells death anyway].
Official meeting with the SFL this afternoon to lay the cards on the table whether they'll be in or out of the league.
Numbers very, very low on the track.
They've been trying to keep this crisis pretty low key so as to not spook the remaining players into doing a mad bolt to the ODFA and Old Scholars teams and hopefully pick up a few more blokes wanting a kick but it hasn't worked. Supposedly lost half a dozen to Bothwell recently.
Ex player in the pub was telling me on Saturday night that their ex coach Matthew Smith got bottled over the head at the pub in Brighton recently. Not good if true.
The below FB post was on their page from the coach.
Screenshot_2019-03-21-01-55-21-1.png

Last edited:

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Cygnet have signed Big Bad Bustling Barry Hall to play a game against Lindisfarne this season. Can see plenty of fisticuffs in this one!!
FB_IMG_1552188530963-1.jpg

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I've just heard THE dumbest thing I've ever heard in all my years of following football.
The SFL are going to allow Brighton to field a reserves team ONLY this season!
How the **** is that supposed to work?
Means that if you're drawn to play Brighton this season there will be no colts or senior matches played.
How are you supposed to get a gate? As an example, Claremont won't play a senior match until about 19 April.
Would've been better off just going into recess for the season instead.
The SFL's completely lost the plot.
Also, Claremont won't be fielding a colts team either. So there's two clubs without colts.
As bad as it sounds, it might be better that AFL Tasmania takes over the SFL, Madeline Ogilvie and Kyron Johnson have completely run it into the ground!

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I've just heard THE dumbest thing I've ever heard in all my years of following football.
The SFL are going to allow Brighton to field a reserves team ONLY this season!
How the **** is that supposed to work?
Means that if you're drawn to play Brighton this season there will be no colts or senior matches played.
How are you supposed to get a gate? As an example, Claremont won't play a senior match until about 19 April.
Would've been better off just going into recess for the season instead.
The SFL's completely lost the plot.
Also, Claremont won't be fielding a colts team either. So there's two clubs without colts.
As bad as it sounds, it might be better that AFL Tasmania takes over the SFL, Madeline Ogilvie and Kyron Johnson have completely run it into the ground!
This isn't constitutional under the SFL's own rules.
The league's constitution, which I have read a couple of years ago but don't have a copy of it on hand, says that if a club can't field one or more teams then it absolutely must field a seniors team or it is not permitted to take part as a playing member of the Southern Football League.
It can still remain as a non playing member with voting rights. Kingborough were in 2014 when they joined the TSL and originally were going to field an SFL team but couldn't due to lack of numbers.
Sorell likewise back in the early 2000s when they went into recess for a year and came back and joined the regional comp.
Unless they've redrawn their own constitution at some point recently, they legally can't allow this scenario to happen.
I'm very surprised the other clubs have allowed this to happen. It's basically inconveniencing and punishing every other league club because Brighton can't get its act together.
When the league was run properly they kicked Lachlan out for much the same thing.
How's it going to be when Cygnet plays Brighton all the way down at Kermandie just for one reserves game.
About 8 people will turn up and Cygnet will lose out bigtime. It's not on. What a shambles.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
The opening round of the 2019 SFL Season begins this Saturday, 6 April.
Senior matches:
● Huonville Lions v Cygnet at Huonville Rec. Ground (2pm)
● Sorell v Hobart at Pembroke Park (2pm)
● New Norfolk v Lindisfarne at Boyer Oval (3pm)
Bye: Claremont, Dodges Ferry.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I still reckon they should have Claremont and Dodges play seniors and even up the comp.
Stupid having two teams having the bye.
Selections - a tough one, hard to tell what sort of quality each team has in covering their loses.
Lions and the Port at Hootersville might be interesting, remains to be seen if Huonville can find a focal point up forward now Michael Paul's gone to the Tigers TSL team. Cygnet are a quick side with a pretty strong attack.
I'll tip Cygnet by 20 points.
Sorell under Jock McGregor are an unknown quantity, played some great footy last year despite only winning about two games.
Not sure of their gains and losses. Hobart have had significant losses over the summer but apparently have gotten rid of a few troublesome elements in their playing list as well so that could be good for them.
Had a list that was more than good enough to play finals last year but didn't seem all that dedicated to it, a change might be a good thing.
I'll tip Hobart by 26 points.
New Norfolk are rumoured to have lost a lot over summer as well and don't have a very strong playing list (supposedly).
Lindisfarne won all four premierships on offer last year and don't seem to have lost much at all, probably gained more if anything.
Eagles notoriously hard to beat at Boyer but I don't see them knocking off the Farne boys on Saturday.
Lindisfarne by 66 points.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
SFL: Final Scores (Round 1)
Cygnet 15.12 (102) d Huonville Lions 13.13 (91)
Sorell 8.18 (66) d Hobart 8.12 (60)
Lindisfarne 11.6 (72) d New Norfolk 6.17 (53)

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
SFL: Final Scores (Round 2)
New Norfolk 13.9 (87) d Hobart 11.10 (76)
Dodges Ferry 11.10 (76) d Cygnet 8.12 (60)
Lindisfarne 16.19 (115) d Huonville 6.11 (47)

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Not much to report on two weeks in to the season so far.
Dodges look to be the big improvers by all reports, NN play a pretty decent brand of footy and could've beaten Lindisfarne if they kicked straight. Lindisfarne still the yardstick by a pretty fair way if they play anywhere near to their level of ability.
I called in and had a look at the game up at the TCA on the weekend, Hobart really lack a key target up forward, probably would be sitting 2-zip if they had one, get plenty of the ball but seem to butcher it in the forward line.
Over five goals down to the Eagles and should've won that. Entertaining game though. Heard there was a bit of controversy the week before at the Sorell game with Hobart being denied a shot at goal to draw the game after an umpiring bungle on the siren.
Crowds still pretty poor. Will be interesting to see how Huonville handles Hobart on Friday, whether their any good or not.
Claremont finally gets to play their first match of the year this week. Looking like it might be a tight race between say 2-7.
Not a lot between them, only one blowout all season with mostly close games.

Back