Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much to report on two weeks in to the season so far.
Dodges look to be the big improvers by all reports, NN play a pretty decent brand of footy and could've beaten Lindisfarne if they kicked straight. Lindisfarne still the yardstick by a pretty fair way if they play anywhere near to their level of ability.
I called in and had a look at the game up at the TCA on the weekend, Hobart really lack a key target up forward, probably would be sitting 2-zip if they had one, get plenty of the ball but seem to butcher it in the forward line.
Over five goals down to the Eagles and should've won that. Entertaining game though. Heard there was a bit of controversy the week before at the Sorell game with Hobart being denied a shot at goal to draw the game after an umpiring bungle on the siren.
Crowds still pretty poor. Will be interesting to see how Huonville handles Hobart on Friday, whether their any good or not.
Claremont finally gets to play their first match of the year this week. Looking like it might be a tight race between say 2-7.
Not a lot between them, only one blowout all season with mostly close games.

Any news on the SFL squad to take on Old Scholars? Old boys have a pretty strong team by the looks of it.

SFL (Round 3): Good Friday.
Dodges Ferry 14.15 (99) d Lindisfarne 8.14 (62)
Huonville 15.24 (114) d Hobart 10.3 (63)
Cygnet 14.20 (104) d Claremont 5.9 (39)
New Norfolk 19.10 (124) d Sorell 6.3 (39)

After a good start to the season with a number of hard-fought, exciting matches, perfect Good Friday conditions saw mostly blow-out results.
Dodges Ferry continued their promising start to the season defeating reigning premier, Lindisfarne convincingly at Shark Park by 37 points.
Huonville thrashed an undermanned Hobart, who had twelve players out from the previous week, by more than eight goals at Huonville and should've won by a lot more.
New Norfolk continued its good form by demolishing Sorell by 85 points at Boyer and Cygnet did likewise over a disappointing Claremont at Abbotsfield Park by 65 points.

SFL Round 4: Final Scores.
Huonville 11.10 (76) d Sorell 6.7 (43)
Lindisfarne 15.13 (103) d Claremont 10.15 (75)
Dodges Ferry 15.10 (100) d Hobart 8.12 (60)

Southern Football League: Senior Ladder.
20190427_234225.jpg

SFL Round 5: Final Scores.
Claremont 15.12 (102) d Hobart 9.4 (58)
New Norfolk 18.6 (114) d Huonville 9.9 (63)
Dodges Ferry 17.21 (123) d Sorell 7.5 (47)

Yesterday's results saw Claremont get off the bottom of the ladder with a convincing 44 point win over a depleted Hobart, the Mont led by 66 points at the final change before the Tigers booted five goals to one in the final quarter to reduce the deficit. Hobart now on the bottom of the ladder at 0-5 for the season.
New Norfolk showed they mean business with a great 51 point win over an always dangerous Huonville Lions at Huonville.
The Eagles now sitting in second spot on the ladder and playing some very good football.
Huonville Lions are able to beat the middle to lower ranked teams but nowhere near the top sides. They sit in fifth a game ahead of Claremont.
Dodges Ferry remain on top after disposing of second-bottom Sorell at Shark Park in the South Eastern derby match.
Sharks untroubled all day and but for poor kicking probably would've won by over a hundred, ending up 76 point winners.
Third placed Lindisfarne had the bye yesterday as did fourth placed Cygnet.

SFL Senior Ladder:
20190505_133947.jpg

SFL seems to be spluttering on. No real enthusiasm. Needs some drawcards to bring the crowds out because the crowds so far have been terrible by all reports.
I see Barry Hall's playing for Cygnet against Lindisfarne during the year. Need more of that to get people along.
Old Scholars seems to be able to recruit better than the SFL these days, will be very interesting to see how the Old Scholars, SFL rep game goes.
SFL loses that there'll be hell to pay, could rightfully be regarded as having slipped to third tier status in my opinion. Lack of leadership causing that.
Lady president too busy pumping up womens football and having her photo taken to run it properly.
I see Colin Garland was BOG for DOSA on the weekend, there's something wrong if he can go straight to the Olds from North Hobart and bypass the SFL completely.
Heard a rumour last week Hobart got a please explain by the SFL about umpire abuse on good friday and the club president then wrote a strong warning to supporters in the club newsletter which went to down like a lead balloon with the few remaining supporters they have left.
Seems to be a shell of its former self the old Tigers. Haven't won a flag for years, doubt they've even won a finals match in over a decade and don't look like winning one anytime soon, will win the spoon this year again.
The Eagles of the Derwent Valley variety looking the goods, slipped under the radar a bit but have quietly built up a good side there, bit light on for depth but if they don't get injuries they'll be well up there as a chance.
Lindisfarne hovering but not playing all that well, probably not quite the depth of previous years but still strong.
Dodges on top but I've seen them a couple of times now and am not totally convinced by them, top three side but don't strike me as premiership material at this stage.
Cygnet a bit inconsistent but very capable when they're firing.
Huonville might scrape into fifth, seem more interested in stacking their ressies team to win that flag. I see blokes like Darren Garth are running about in the twos, that guy kicked close to the record for a season in the ones one year.
Sorell have gone backwards, unlucky last year not to win more games but aren't as competitive this year. Severe lack of depth an issue for the Pembroke lads.
Claremont are hard to gauge, shocking first up match but have been good the last two, could sneak into fifth with a win this week.
I notice Brighton's reserves team are doing pretty well, around the five anyway. Had a couple of wins.
Heard they chucked around a heap of coin to recruit players to their womens team that are now sitting a mile out on top. But no senior or 19s team.
Why would you bother?
Womens football needs to be run seperately to the main SFL with its own committee, own president and getting its own sponsorship.
South East Suns are a good example of doing it the proper way. They have good numbers at kids level and always do well at senior womens level and have a good profile.
Would create less of a burden on the clubs trying to run another level of football with decreasing numbers of people volunteering their services and lack of finances.
My opinion, SFL has gone backwards majorly since Madeline Ogilvie pushed for the womens league to latch on to the coat tails of the main SFL competition.

I think the incident you're referring to there was the one in the reserves at Huonville where a Hobart player got snotted 70m behind play and had his nose broken by a Huonville player.
Shortly after that there was a melee and the local umpire down there sent a Hobart player off for retaliating but interestingly didn't send off nor report the Huonville player that started the whole thing. Some of the Hobart supporters on the hill, and there weren't many of them, were a bit incensed and the same umpire then turned around and awarded a 50m penalty to Huonville for abuse.
That got them riled up even further.
Two quarters later he awarded Huonville a 100m penalty and a goal for abuse he claimed came from the bench but it was actually two spectators up on the hill not even connected to the bench which even further enraged them.
Most of the umpires do a pretty good job in the SFL but that particular umpire was completely out of control.
Not sure whether the club got a 'please explain' but apparently there was something written on the club's online newsletter but I'm not aware of any ill feeling about it at all.
Think it was just a general reminder thing, most clubs would get one here and there, or they should anyway. Some of the abuse directed at umpires from New Norfolk supporters was far, far more insulting than anything said at Huonville.
As to what's happening with the club, there is a huge injury list at the moment, they had 16 players out on Saturday at Abbotsfield after already having lost a few top line players over the summer, with all the byes coming up, it might be pretty handy I'm thinking.
It is true that Hobart doesn't have very much support anymore, but then again, having been to other SFL games, none of the other clubs do either.
Crowds have certainly dropped sharply from say, 10 years ago and it is a real concern.
The whole competition seems to have been in a real malaise for the past five or six years and doesn't seem to be interested in improving itself.
I think people are bored shitless with SFL football actually and it needs to change and market itself.
With Hobart having only won one single finals match over the past 16 years, it makes it very difficult to keep supporters and sponsors, players also seem to want to be at more successful clubs these days so it's hard to keep players (or recruit name ones) when you're not winning very often.
It's a difficult cycle to break.
I agree 100% with your comment in regard to womens football, I too felt that it would've been better to start up individual womens football clubs with their own governance representing areas rather than individual clubs purely and simply because it could be run better that way and wouldn't put the onus on clubs which are already stretched to run it, both financially and volunteer-wise.
I'm not really involved with womens football at all so I don't know how the other clubs go with it.
One thing I will say though is that our womens team are very enthusiastic and good at being around the club and attending club functions, something our other teams could learn from.

Is there still some sort of points system involved with the SFL clubs?
Heard a story last night that Huonville went out and recruited all these players plus had guys walking in off the street to play for them and it ended up exceeding the points system (ie: X player is worth X number of points, Y player is worth Y number of points). That's why their reserves are a gun team that is smashing everyone.
Brighton womens team they reckon should be called Clarence because more than half of last years Clarence womens team is playing out there now. Millions miles ahead of the next best team and should win the flag easily I'm told.

SFL Final Scores: Round 6.
Dodges Ferry 12.9 (81) d New Norfolk 10.9 (69)
Lindisfarne 17.20 (122) d Cygnet 8.14 (62)
Claremont 17.16 (118) d Sorell 5.8 (38)
FB_IMG_1557671625119.jpg

Today saw the representative match between the SFL and the Old Scholars Football Association at North Hobart.
A crowd of about 1,500 rolled up to see the Old Scholars run out 14 point winners, 17.9 (111) to 14.13 (97).
Alex Gilmour kicked nine goals for the OSFA. 20190518_161500.jpg 20190518_161508.jpg 20190518_161513.jpg

BREAKING NEWS
Tim Peterson has either stepped down or been asked to step down by the Huonville Football Club. Billy Lamprill has stepped in as coach until a replacement can be found.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word is he wrote an article in the Huon News that was quite negative towards the group.
Quickest way to lose a playing group. Be hard to find someone to take the job on fulltime at this time of year so they'll more than likely have Billy for the rest of the season as a stand in.
The bloke they had last year was probably the quietest coach I've ever heard, got them up there though.
Wonder how long Hobart will persist with Beck as coach, word is he lost the players two years ago and has never been able to get them onside for varying reasons and still hasn't. If they don't win a game soon he might pull the pin himself.
Did hear they had the guy that coached their unders last year lined up as a successor either if he quit or from next year as his contract was up after the season.
Jock at Sorell, wonder if he'll stay on down there given they've gone backwards a fair bit this year.
This is third year, they were a rabble the first year, competitive last year but looked to have slipped back again. History shows Jock usually doesn't stick around more than two or three years so that might be another one up at the end of the year.

Beck's not a quitter, he'll serve out his time. There's no doubt he's pretty frustrated that he hasn't been able to change a losing culture up there. I know he's given his all to try and turn things around but the attitude still exists up there to a pretty large degree unfortunately. A lot of people around the club are pretty frustrated and fed up with it hence the very small attendances in recent years. He's contracted til the end of this season and I seriously doubt he'll coach on beyond that. Plus his wife's just had a baby recently so he more than likely will be busy with the new baby.
Obviously the coaching job would be advertised towards season's end, I did hear Nathan Hartnett was being looked at, you're correct there but that may change. He's one of the assistant coaches this season.
Trouble is Hobart has to be careful how much they spend because they lost a lot of money last year with the TCA being renovated and having to play Colts and Womens matches at different grounds cost the club a lot of money.
There was some disquiet amongst the past players about Steve Woods being discarded as coach in favour of Mark Beck after Woods had coached the club into the finals in 2016, the reserves also made the finals under the late Tony Rosendale the same year, and he quit at the B&F and stormed out when he heard Woods wasn't re-signed but the fact was as late as the last roster round up to fourteen players had given notice to the club that they would be seeking transfers elsewhere if Woods was retained for the following year so the club was really put in a no-win situation there.

Hey guys,

Just a quick one on Ben Van Kraanen’s possible movements in 2020. He’s currently sounding out the Hobart senior job. He thinks he’s done a good apprenticeship at Lindisfarne and is ready for the top job. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Not sure if he will play due to his ankle. Thoughts on this possible move??

Mark Beck started well but tried to be too professional, a lot of players play SFL to have a kick with mates and not be too serious. I guess that's the same at Huonville.

SFL Seniors: Final Scores.
New Norfolk 12.13 (85) d Claremont 7.12 (54)
Cygnet 14.14 (98) d Hobart 11.9 (75)
Dodges Ferry 14.12 (96) d Huonville Lions 11.15 (81)
20190525_230926.jpg

Heard a rumour over the weekend that Brighton would be right for a return to senior SFL footy next season and they were chasing former player currently with Glenorchy in the TSL, Callen Daly to return as playing coach.
Would be a good get if they can snag him.
As for the weekends results, pretty much as expected.
Huonville took it up to the Sharks all day but could never bridge that 3 goal gap.
Cygnet looked likely to smash Hobart by triple figures early on, then Hobart came storming back from about eight goals down to get within about ten points and then fell asleep again.
NN led all day and were just a bit too good for Claremont, mostly around four to five goals up all day.

Heard a whisper that Van Kraanen almost certain to be senior coach at the TCA next season. Watch this space

Remove this Banner Ad

Back