Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So when's Hobart gping to announce their coach? Heard it was supposed to be at their best n fairest the other week.
Heard Lamprill wasn't staying on to coach Huonville next year, wonder who gets that job.

So when's Hobart gping to announce their coach? Heard it was supposed to be at their best n fairest the other week.
Heard Lamprill wasn't staying on to coach Huonville next year, wonder who gets that job.
I don't know to be honest. Was originally supposed to be at the B&F but the candidate had been away overseas on break so it was held off for a time.
I've heard just about every name in football bar Ross Lyon linked to the job over the past few weeks.
Matthew Smith.
Bryce Walsh.
Jamie Di Ienno.
Michael Cassidy.
Ben Van Kraanen (who got the North Hobart Development League position the other day).
Andrew Lamprill (coached Hobart in 2006-07).
Jake Briggs (ex-Hobart and a former DOSA coach).
Ian Callinan.
Some peanut tried to tell me Steve Gillbee was coming back to coach (he won't because he doesn't have time, he's very high up at Harvey Norman and is running a multi million dollar business which takes up all of his time, hence why he quit the board up there a couple of years ago).
Daniel Willing was another name mentioned.
I'm sure we'll soon find out.

Well they'd wanna hurry up and do it, the pre season isnt far away from starting.
Well behind the 8 ball. Mess.

An outstanding appointment by an outstanding football club. Hats off to the board and the football administrators.
I wonder How Richmond feel..anyway who cares? Its all about the Tigers.

That's a terrific pickup for Hobart! 👍
I'm genuinely very pleased to hear that they signed both fellas up.
Pretty fair to say things were looking seriously bleak for the club in recent times, on top of that the Old Players & Officials Association folded about three months ago as well due to lack of volunteers after 65 years.
Hopefully this a real tonic to where they can now start to attract some interest and recruit some good players up there that genuinely want to really put in and take the club and themselves somewhere.
The days of playing matches at the TCA, collecting one's match payments and walking out the gate afterwards without even going into the clubrooms to either mingle or acknowledge volunteers, supporters or opposition players needs to end and hopefully it can start to attract disgruntled supporters and members back to the club that have all but disappeared in recent years.
Great appointment by the board 👍

Heard the other day Huonville ended up reappointing Tim Lamprill as coach for 2020. Jack Philp returning from Cairns with a good record as his assistant coach.
Apparently they've kept most of this year's list together so should remain a strong unit.
Hobart sound like they are progressing well under new coach Alex Gilmour.
Speaking to a Tigers supporter last week, he says it was the most positive piece of news to come out of the club in fifteen years. Reckoned the club needed a good cleanout and fresh faces to get rid of the nepotism and reward for shocking performances that had been rampant there for many years.
I noticed in the paper they are looking for new coach for their thirds, has Luttrell moved on or did he not get resigned?
Brighton looking good under Byron Howard. Had 40 on the track recently, trying to get their 19s team together as well. Robins have a new board and fresh faces to take them forward.
Luke Potter will continue in with Claremont and they are trying to resurrect the thirds next year.

Heard the other day Huonville ended up reappointing Tim Lamprill as coach for 2020. Jack Philp returning from Cairns with a good record as his assistant coach.
Apparently they've kept most of this year's list together so should remain a strong unit.
Hobart sound like they are progressing well under new coach Alex Gilmour.
Speaking to a Tigers supporter last week, he says it was the most positive piece of news to come out of the club in fifteen years. Reckoned the club needed a good cleanout and fresh faces to get rid of the nepotism and reward for shocking performances that had been rampant there for many years.
I noticed in the paper they are looking for new coach for their thirds, has Luttrell moved on or did he not get resigned?
Brighton looking good under Byron Howard. Had 40 on the track recently, trying to get their 19s team together as well. Robins have a new board and fresh faces to take them forward.
Luke Potter will continue in with Claremont and they are trying to resurrect the thirds next year.

Luttrell gone to OHA as reserves coach, Seems to have taken a couple of his old colts troops and couple of Hobart reserves players with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luttrell gone to OHA as reserves coach, Seems to have taken a couple of his old colts troops and couple of Hobart reserves players with him
He wasn't reappointed as Colts coach and went to OHA to coach their Reserves team and has taken Kyle Buck, Josh Raspin and Jonty Pearce with him.
Allegedly had had several differences of philosophies/opinions with the new coaching staff, I had an inkling he might've been headed out the door anyway given that he got the Colts to the Preliminary Final this season but the club seemed reticent to re-sign him even after that.

Namely that I think the board and coaching staff want all teams (Seniors, Reserves, Colts and Womens) to train together and form a more close relationship than they have in the past and also to try and get the club pulling together in the one direction which it, quite noticeably, hasn't been for several years.

He supposedly didn't want his Colts players to train with anyone else nor have Colts players play in the seniors at all and that didn't sit very well with the new coaching staff so he wasn't reappointed.
The new coaching staff at Hobart is Alex Gilmour as senior coach, Brad Joseph, Peter Jelkic, Paul Rainbird and Sammy Hughes with ex-Cygnet womens coach Renee Schuettpelz taking over as the womens coach from Claire Sutton, who was also not reappointed.
Shuettpelz had been working around the club as one of the bench staff for the mens sides this season.

Will be a slow build over the next three years, certainly Gilmour's greatest challenge as coach.
It's being seen as really the last roll of the dice for the Hobart Football Club because, if things had have kept going the way they were prior to his appointment, the club would in all likelihood have folded in 2-3 years time.
The Tigers have been in the doldrums for the past fifteen years since Jock McGregor was coaching up there and have had at least three (to my knowledge) winless seasons in the past ten years.
Since the 2003 Preliminary Final, they've only won ONE finals match (in 2006), last time Hobart qualified higher than the Elimination Final was way back in 2000 under Steve Gillbee.
As a result of these constant poor on-field results and quite honestly, terrible standard of football displayed over a number of years, our supporter base and volunteers have waned considerably as have our membership figures.

He wasn't reappointed as Colts coach and went to OHA to coach their Reserves team and has taken Kyle Buck, Josh Raspin and Jonty Pearce with him.
Allegedly had had several differences of philosophies/opinions with the new coaching staff, I had an inkling he might've been headed out the door anyway given that he got the Colts to the Preliminary Final this season but the club seemed reticent to re-sign him even after that.

Namely that I think the board and coaching staff want all teams (Seniors, Reserves, Colts and Womens) to train together and form a more close relationship than they have in the past and also to try and get the club pulling together in the one direction which it, quite noticeably, hasn't been for several years.

He supposedly didn't want his Colts players to train with anyone else nor have Colts players play in the seniors at all and that didn't sit very well with the new coaching staff so he wasn't reappointed.
The new coaching staff at Hobart is Alex Gilmour as senior coach, Brad Joseph, Peter Jelkic, Paul Rainbird and Sammy Hughes with ex-Cygnet womens coach Renee Schuettpelz taking over as the womens coach from Claire Sutton, who was also not reappointed.
Shuettpelz had been working around the club as one of the bench staff for the mens sides this season.

Will be a slow build over the next three years, certainly Gilmour's greatest challenge as coach.
It's being seen as really the last roll of the dice for the Hobart Football Club because, if things had have kept going the way they were prior to his appointment, the club would in all likelihood have folded in 2-3 years time.
The Tigers have been in the doldrums for the past fifteen years since Jock McGregor was coaching up there and have had at least three (to my knowledge) winless seasons in the past ten years.
Since the 2003 Preliminary Final, they've only won ONE finals match (in 2006), last time Hobart qualified higher than the Elimination Final was way back in 2000 under Steve Gillbee.
As a result of these constant poor on-field results and quite honestly, terrible standard of football displayed over a number of years, our supporter base and volunteers have waned considerably as have our membership figures.

Have you seen a change in the vibe around the club since they named Gilmore ? He has seem to embraced it, have seen him kicking around Glenorchy with the Hobart polo on. Hopefully it works for the club would hate to seem the fold.... Must be hard to retain people when you haven't had the success on the field

Have you seen a change in the vibe around the club since they named Gilmore ? He has seem to embraced it, have seen him kicking around Glenorchy with the Hobart polo on. Hopefully it works for the club would hate to seem the fold.... Must be hard to retain people when you haven't had the success on the field
Oh most definitely so, yes.
2019 was, in my opinion, the very lowest I've ever seen the club, and that opinion was backed up by several others up there that have been around even longer than I have, some going back to 1945.
It wasn't just the pathetic onfield performances and lack of committment either, apart from some of the kids we had in the team (in all seriousness, the worst Hobart senior team I've ever witnessed in my time) it was the lack of people following us both at home and more noticeably at away matches.
One game at Cygnet we had a total of nine supporters turn out and about the same at Claremont another day.
Several home matches at the TCA, in the clubrooms afterwards the opposition team, staff and supporters would come in for a drink and mingle, most of the Hobart players would've collected their match payments and gone without even coming in to the bar.
The day the 1999 premiership team had a reunion, they actually outnumbered the current playing list of the day in the clubrooms after the game.
Other times the clubrooms would be empty by 6:30pm after a match, social functions cancelled left, right and centre, Old Players & Officials Association folded - it had that real stench of death about it.
When the Colts made the Preliminary Final there were no more than twenty supporters there watching them, a contrast to two years earlier when hundreds turned out to watch them.
Chronic shortage of volunteers, most had quit leaving the small number still there to double and treble their workload and most of those are ageing, the oldest is about 82-83 years old.
There does seem to be a lot more positivity around the club, as he has said, this is not going to be a short term fix, it will take time so patience is required.
What I'm pleased with is the fact he won't stand for any nonsense, Hobart has been the poster child club for the "tail (the players) wagging the dog (the club)" for a decade and a half now, it started in Jock's final year and has continued unabated since then.
It's the key reason why Steve Woods wasn't reappointed after 2016 which created considerable angst between ex-players and the club, also kicked up a stink about Jamie Charlesworth being involved.
As of now it's been twenty years since the last premiership (previous longest drought was ten years), sixteen years since playing in a Grand Final (previous longest drought was nine years), thirteen years since they won a finals match (previous longest drought was only seven years) so yes, most definitely the lack of success or hope has been detrimental.

Last edited:
Yes past players and officials orgs tend to be dominated by guys over 60 generally, it never seems to attract players from the 80s era onwards, I think Clarence's folded too some time ago.
Was Luttrell the guy that went nuts on the field and had a huge screaming match with some club officials at the TCA when the lights failed a few months ago?
That was one of about 4 matches I went to up there and it was pretty embarrassing, there's showing passion and behaving like a galloot and he was the latter.
It'll be interesting wether Ray Quarrell will follow Gilmour back up to Hobart, being a longtime Hobart man, Gilmour got him down to Richmond with good results after Hobart didn't want him, apparently the players thought he was too tough on them and complained so I heard.
Wouldda thought he was one you'd definately want to get your team fit, probably explains why they're so ordinary!!

I see on the BFC page that the most recent Hobart seniors coach Nathan Hartnett has gone to Brighton as one of the assistant coaches under big Byron!

I see on the BFC page that the most recent Hobart seniors coach Nathan Hartnett has gone to Brighton as one of the assistant coaches under big Byron!

They seem to be getting back on there feet well.... Mastrocola will be a good get for them

Did anyone happen to see the piece by Greg Barns in the paper yesterday, page 16 or 17 about league president Madeline Ogilvie. Didn't mince his words. Hammer. Nail. Dead centre.
More interested in self interest and self promotion than doing her job properly.
Seems like that extends to her new found status in parliament.
Noticeable how the Southern FL has gone backwards every year since she took over. received_809420016184730.jpeg received_566199107531140.jpeg

Was Luttrell the guy that went nuts on the field and had a huge screaming match with some club officials at the TCA when the lights failed a few months ago?
That was one of about 4 matches I went to up there and it was pretty embarrassing, there's showing passion and behaving like a galloot and he was the latter.
It'll be interesting wether Ray Quarrell will follow Gilmour back up to Hobart, being a longtime Hobart man, Gilmour got him down to Richmond with good results after Hobart didn't want him, apparently the players thought he was too tough on them and complained so I heard.
Wouldda thought he was one you'd definately want to get your team fit, probably explains why they're so ordinary!!
Yes it was. Would probably admit, it wasn't his finest moment. Very passionate about his coaching though and the fact that he brought sixteen players to the club.
Did an excellent job all things considered, given the sheer number of ins and outs every single week with that team.
As it stands a colts coach hasn't been appointed yet.

Yes Chalky Quarrell has been about the club, I think he's only going to be around on a part time basis (ie: one, maybe two days a week) and still do some work for the Richmond Lions as well, I think he lives down that way.

With Hobart, it also does need to be remembered that going into the start of the 2019 season, they lost numbers one through six from the previous year's best and fairest count from a side which won nine games and missed the finals on percentage to either TSL football or interstate leagues, so without much recruiting, they were due for a big fall.
One guy they got was off the North Melbourne list but was injured for half the season and was badly out of form for the remainder.

Seems like progress has stalled on the TCA upgrades front, some new NIMBY residents association on the Glebe have pressured the new greenie Lord Mayoress into blocking any new works at the ground, they even want all the new buildings, stands etc to be built over on the far side of the ground despite the fact that structural reports state that new buildings cannot be built there.
They even want the current Powell, Pascoe, Payne Stand to have its roof lowered (why? 🤔) at a cost of over $200,000. A stand which will require significant upgrading in the future as it's riddled with concrete cancer at one end.
Interesting to note what each club pays for rent at its home ground.

I don't have every club's figures but both Cygnet and Huonville Lions pay nothing for the use of Cygnet Oval and Huonville Recreation Ground respectively.
New Norfolk pay $5,000 per year to rent the Boyer Oval off the Derwent Valley Council, Lindisfarne pay $8,000 to rent Anzac Park from the Clarence City Council.
I believe Brighton, Sorell and Dodges Ferry pay little to no rent for their grounds.
In comparison, Hobart is paying more than $16,000 per year to rent the TCA Ground off the Hobart City Council! It's starting to become unsustainable.

Last edited:
Did anyone happen to catch grandstand today, Chris Rowbottom had local footy jumper collector Nathan Geason on.... well worth a listen talking about old TFL jumpers and even local clubs who ain’t around anymore

Seems like progress has stalled on the TCA upgrades front, some new NIMBY residents association on the Glebe have pressured the new greenie Lord Mayoress into blocking any new works at the ground, they even want all the new buildings, stands etc to be built over on the far side of the ground despite the fact that structural reports state that new buildings cannot be built there.
They even want the current Powell, Pascoe, Payne Stand to have its roof lowered (why? 🤔) at a cost of over $200,000. A stand which will require significant upgrading in the future as it's riddled with concrete cancer at one end.
Interesting to note what each club pays for rent at its home ground.

I don't have every club's figures but both Cygnet and Huonville Lions pay nothing for the use of Cygnet Oval and Huonville Recreation Ground respectively.
New Norfolk pay $5,000 per year to rent the Boyer Oval off the Derwent Valley Council, Lindisfarne pay $8,000 to rent Anzac Park from the Clarence City Council.
I believe Brighton, Sorell and Dodges Ferry pay little to no rent for their grounds.
In comparison, Hobart is paying more than $16,000 per year to rent the TCA Ground off the Hobart City Council! It's starting to become unsustainable.
Good old Greens stalling progress like they always do. No wonder the place is still backward!!
They don't seem to have issues with the lights at the tennis centre, or the aths track - seems like greenie snobbery as usual.
Interesting point you raise there about ground rental fees.
$16.5k a year I hear Hobart's is and that's rediculous for a local sporting club.
Imagine how much the council would put the rent up to if they finished renovating the ground!!! It'd end up a white elephant just like Bellerive because none of the local clubs could afford to rent it.
Typical stupid councils, run by eedjits.
I came across a State Government release the other week detailing funding for ground updates.
I see Lindisfarne and Huonville's grounds are getting a heap of money spent on them.
Huonville getting new changerooms and new playing surface along with it. received_556362778486632.jpeg

Did anyone happen to see the piece by Greg Barns in the paper yesterday, page 16 or 17 about league president Madeline Ogilvie. Didn't mince his words. Hammer. Nail. Dead centre.
More interested in self interest and self promotion than doing her job properly.
Seems like that extends to her new found status in parliament.
Noticeable how the Southern FL has gone backwards every year since she took over.View attachment 788500View attachment 788501
I didn't see it at the time but went back and had a flip through the papers and found that, it's spot on about Madeline Ogilvie.
Worst president the SFL has ever had by a long, long way. Patently disinterested in the every day happenings of the competition, ignorant to the clubs and what's going on with them. Only interested in herself, telling all and sundry about how she's the first woman to be head of the SFL at every opportunity, getting pics of herself at the odd social function for social media and continuously spruiking womens football at the expense of the actual competition she's supposed to be running purely to further her political profile. Would know nothing of the league's history or that of the clubs themselves.
An abject disaster quite frankly who does little to no work of any value with the league whilst trying take all the credit, and any insider with the SFL would confirm that (and have numerous times).

Christine Carr from the Claremont Magpies would be a far better candidate in that role and would do the job much more efficiently without all the "look at me, look at me!" attitude.

The SFL seems to have had a problem for many years with politicians taking up roles in it to put themselves in the spotlight.
Peter Hodgman was involved in the league in its early years and did a half-arsed job of it, I will give him some credit in that he did spruik the league in the media constantly, then Jim Wilkinson came in in the early 2000s and hardly ever even attended a match.
Will Hodgman, the current Premier, was head of the SFL in the early to mid-2000s during the Premier/Regional League days and was known as "Weak Willie" by many people due to his fence-sitting attitude and reluctance to make good decisions.
Hobart Football Club had a former AMWU leader and DPAC senior staffer called Philip Baker as president for eight years who virtually destroyed the club.
Hobart has never recovered from his dismal eight year tenure as president and most likely never will.
Paul Harris was another that came in after the defection of a number of clubs to the TSL, the SFL seemed to trundle along under his watch and saw lopsided results and clubs coming and going, and from the 2009 defection, the league has continued to fall down ever since.
Needs a lot of changes to bring it back to what it was.

Last edited:
$16.5k a year I hear Hobart's is and that's rediculous for a local sporting club.
I came across a State Government release the other week detailing funding for ground updates.
I see Lindisfarne and Huonville's grounds are getting a heap of money spent on them.
Huonville getting new changerooms and new playing surface along with it.View attachment 790637
I did read the figure in the Annual Report, was around 16.3 from memory. It's a lot of money for a small club to find annually, and it doesn't help with our own on field performances over the past fifteen years and the continuing poor crowds we're getting.
Also the shortened roster of just 14 games in 2019 with byes all over the place was a real killer.
Fewer games to try and find revenue to pay the rent and still pay players. It's getting tough.
I reckon the North Hobart Cricket Club will be getting miffed with the constant interruptions up there, they haven't been able to get onto the ground yet this cricket season due to the centre being resewn.
NHCC and the HFC have every right to be annoyed with what they're charged in rent up there, supposedly DOSA pay nowhere near that amount are increasingly being seen as a pack of freeloaders.
Huonville's ground badly needed an upgrade, the changerooms were built in about 1952 and have hardly had a cent spent on them since.
The rest of the ground hasn't changed at all since the 60s and apparently they cut their own grass, mark the lines, put up the posts themselves.
Some of the others are being upgraded because of womens football, staggering that $340,000 is being spent on the Kingston Beach Oval.
One of the reasons why they got the new grounds up near the Kingborough Sports Centre (Twin Ovals) was to provide top class sporting facilities for the Kingborough region in football and cricket, away from the decrepit and unsuitable Kingston Beach Oval!
Must be another case of either too costly to rent or councils limiting use of new venues.
Either way, total waste of money having two venues in a small area.
Not sure where they would fit a new $1m sporting pavillion at Anzac Park, Lindisfarne to be honest.
That place is hopelessly small, maybe they could put a decent scoreboard in for the public rather than that inadequate whiteboard in behind a window in the timekeepers box that 98% of people attending can't even read!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back