Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart 13.6 (84) d DOSA 9.5 (59) in last nights Tye Bennett Memorial match down at Campania to get their 2020 campaign underway.
That was the Tigers first win over DOSA in five years and is one of the very rare ones they've had against the Roosters over the years.

Called into have a look at Brighton and Bothwell at Pontville on the way past tonight. Had a few locals out there watching.
Brighton won easily, Bothwell weren't very good at all and looked totally out of their depth and unfit.
Think the score was 13-14-92 to 0-2-2 Brighton winning.

Last edited:
St Virgil's 10.8 (68) d Dodges Ferry 7.10 (52) down at Shark Park tonight.
A good win for the struggling Saints over last year's SFL minor premier in their first hitouts for 2020.
Sorell met Triabunna in a practice match on Wednesday night at Sorell but no results available.

Heard the Uni Rainbows knocked over Hobart in a practice match down the Uni earlier.
Dodges play Bridgenorth up north on Saturday.
Brighton were meant to play SVC at Pontville but the match was cancelled due to the ground being unavailable.

Brent Costelloe reporting on FB that Madeline Ogilvie has stepped down as president and so has Kyron Johnson as Vice President
Yes was just reading that myself. Good!
Both have been extremely poor at leading the competition since they've been in charge.
Ogilvie had absolutely no idea what she was doing and seemed to be in it purely to brag about being the first woman president of the SFL and to photobomb team photos on Grand Final day so it looked good on her social media account for her political profile.
Kyron Johnson was an absolutely useless article and completely out of his depth.
Has hardly been sighted at an SFL match in several years.
No secret that the SFL has fallen so badly under their watch.
Tony Gibson, the football operations manager for the SFL, chucked it in last December so it sounds like a complete cleanout has taken place.
Rumours I've been hearing is ex-Hobart president, Russell Young might be taking over as SFL President.
He's been on board with the SFL since the end of 2018.

Yes was just reading that myself. Good!
Both have been extremely poor at leading the competition since they've been in charge.
Ogilvie had absolutely no idea what she was doing and seemed to be in it purely to brag about being the first woman president of the SFL and to photobomb team photos on Grand Final day so it looked good on her social media account for her political profile.
Kyron Johnson was an absolutely useless article and completely out of his depth.
Has hardly been sighted at an SFL match in several years.
No secret that the SFL has fallen so badly under their watch.
Tony Gibson, the football operations manager for the SFL, chucked it in last December so it sounds like a complete cleanout has taken place.
Rumours I've been hearing is ex-Hobart president, Russell Young might be taking over as SFL President.
He's been on board with the SFL since the end of 2018.

Thoughts on how Russell would go if given the top job ?

Thoughts on how Russell would go if given the top job ?
I think he'd be a lot more hands on and proactive than the previous two.
He was instrumental in getting authorities to arrange water for the Dodges Ferry club when their ground almost become unuseable last year.
Helped Brighton work through a lot of their problems to keep them in the competition and look much more positive this year, helped prevent them from being another statistic in the lost clubs list.
The previous two have just been figureheads but apart from the odd selfie, have shown little or no valuable leadership and that's what the SFL really needs.
I used to bag Noel Morrison a lot but I'll give him his full credit, he used to promote the league well.
Same with Garry Williamson.

I think he'd be a lot more hands on and proactive than the previous two.
He was instrumental in getting authorities to arrange water for the Dodges Ferry club when their ground almost become unuseable last year.
Helped Brighton work through a lot of their problems to keep them in the competition and look much more positive this year, helped prevent them from being another statistic in the lost clubs list.
The previous two have just been figureheads but apart from the odd selfie, have shown little or no valuable leadership and that's what the SFL really needs.
I used to bag Noel Morrison a lot but I'll give him his full credit, he used to promote the league well.
Same with Garry Williamson.

Apart from the "little" matter than ended his tenure, Noel was actually really good. Always available to help, even when it was something that didn't relate directly to the SFL.

Apart from the "little" matter than ended his tenure, Noel was actually really good. Always available to help, even when it was something that didn't relate directly to the SFL.
Yes, I was always told the story by those that knew him well enough that he had a bit of a gambling problem, certainly not on his own there, and that's why a lot of money suddenly went missing.
It was widely known even several years before he was finished up by the SFL because, I'm not sure if you remember, but a group of guys from Huon FM had a radio show and website called the SFL Footy Show.
This was around 1999-2000.
It was Dan Garlick (now living in Indonesia), Kenny Anderson, the late Merv Yeoland and the late Brett "Buster" Jones that were involved in it and gave huge publicity to the SFL.
The website had a guestbook where readers could leave comments, one such poster from down the Huon questioned how Morrison could legally be allowed to be in charge of an organisation given that he'd been previously imprisoned for embezzlement a few years before.
Well that set off a huge shitstorm! Morro was going to get the lawyers in, sue everybody in sight etc.
In the end he had the SFL Footy Show shut down their guestbook permanently.
Was a perfectly legitimate question though and it was proven to be correct given the events of some five years or so later.
AFL Tasmania never did their due dilligence there and the proverbial hit the fan.
I believe he paid it back and moved interstate.

With the SFL, and I would say most leagues here now, the passionate people that promote their leagues have appeared to have gone the way of the dinosaur.
It's a pity. And like you say, if Morrison didn't have that problem, he could've gone on for years with the league.
That link below is an archive of the SFL Footy Show website.

Last edited:
In today's practice match, Hobart travelled to Launceston to take on NTFA Division 1 club, St Pat's.
Hobart 13.6 (84) d St Pat's 8.8 (56).

Sorell are up against Hutchins, Dodges Ferry travel up North to tackle Bridgenorth.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brent Costelloe reporting on FB that Madeline Ogilvie has stepped down as president and so has Kyron Johnson as Vice President
Curios timing that both chucked it in on the same day only a couple of weeks from the start of the new season.
Why now and not over summer like Gibson did?
Was there really a no confidence motion as was suggested by Brent Costelloe on TV or was it because they would not have known what to do if this coronavirus totally mucks up the local footy season like it might do wuth the AFL?
What's the likelihood of local footy getting called off for the year? 50/50?
Could well send a fair few clubs to the wall.

NTFA has been cancelled until at least the 6th June.
TSL and TSLW has been cancelled until at least 31st May.
It is expected that the SFL will follow suit.
The AFL will hold a media conference tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1pm to outline what will happen with regional football competitions Australia-wide.

So an SFL season at best 50/50 I wonder how many other grassroot leagues Australia wide will not be going ahead, the Darwin Football Assoc in the NW called a halt to the season 2020 last Saturday the 23 May. It seems the Old Scholars also want to have up to 500 a people at a game for the same reasons of the SFL latest start there would be 18 Jul.

So an SFL season at best 50/50 I wonder how many other grassroot leagues Australia wide will not be going ahead, the Darwin Football Assoc in the NW called a halt to the season 2020 last Saturday the 23 May. It seems the Old Scholars also want to have up to 500 a people at a game for the same reasons of the SFL latest start there would be 18 Jul.
I can understand that they are passionate about getting some sort of season underway, albeit a heavily compromised one, for varying reasons.
One was community feelgood reasons, giving people hope that by playing football that the light at the end of the tunnel was coming.
Another put to me was that there could be a great loss of players to the game if it doesn't go ahead as many may prefer to work on their weekends to earn money rather than play football, as their won't be much money about in footy if spectator restrictions are imposed.
My concern is that by getting a season underway, even with restricted crowds that means little to no bar/kiosk takings, very few paying spectators and we all know that things like ground hiring fees, umpires fees, electricity usage, medical equipment, footballs etc will all need to paid for.
Where will that revenue come from, I wonder?
It was strongly rumoured that last season, most clubs probably with the exception of Cygnet (through a sponsor kicking in a lot of money for Barry Hall to come over and play and the resultant crowds they drew) struggled financially through poor attendances, only fourteen matches (seven home, seven away) and a number of byes relating to Brighton going into recess on the eve of the season.
Several clubs went weeks and weeks without a home game to raise funds.
Then there's SFLW which will added another layer of costs to most clubs.
Not sure if getting a season running in this current climate is a good idea from a revenue point.

From what Ive heard its now less than 50/50 for the SFL going ahead. Speaking to a couple of people involved they were of the thought it would be best to call stumps on 2020 for many of the reasons Kinpin listed. Old Scholars is not far behind in calling the 2020 season off too. Clubs such as Uni has expressed concerns about being in a position to even find enough players to fill sides as many of the students have returned home due to their being no university.

Spot on Kingpin. Its a nice idea about playing but its pie in the sky.
Too many risks involved and the onus on locals to social distance etc just won't work. Can't even keep them outta Bunnings and the Kmart let alone following guidelines playing footy.
Do all 22 players have to run out on tje ground individually now?
Just call it off already.

From what Ive heard its now less than 50/50 for the SFL going ahead. Speaking to a couple of people involved they were of the thought it would be best to call stumps on 2020 for many of the reasons Kinpin listed. Old Scholars is not far behind in calling the 2020 season off too. Clubs such as Uni has expressed concerns about being in a position to even find enough players to fill sides as many of the students have returned home due to their being no university.
It'll be a logistical nightmare as well.
There's so many grey areas and unanswered questions that'll need to be answered before any of it can proceed.
Two football teams (44 people), coach and assistant coach for both teams (4 people), umpires (8 people), umpires advisor (1 person), runner for each team (2 people), water carriers/trainers (8-10 people), backroom staff (4 people), scoreboard operator (1 person), timekeepers (2 people), ground manager (1 person), kiosk volunteers (3-5 people), gate keepers (1-2 people), interchange steward (1 person), club executive/officials (5-10 people).
And that is before a single spectator is admitted.

Then there is the question of admittance to the venue.
As an example, The first game of the day at the TCA Ground is the SFLW match between Hobart and New Norfolk.
Do the players and staff involved in the following match (presumably the Reserves) then have to wait outside the venue in the carpark (all practicing the 1.5m social distancing requirement) and wait for the SFLW match to finish, the players from both teams to have their showers, dress and leave the venue by a particular egress point before they can enter?
Will the two changerooms and umpires rooms have to be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and have all seating and flat surfaces wiped down with an alcohol based sanitising agent prior to those players and umpires entering for the next match?

There's nowhere near enough volunteers to ensure these requirements meet compliance.
Are those volunteers covered from any issues that may arise? Are they issued with masks, gloves and all the other requirements that go with that?
Have they been tested for Covid-19 prior to entry?

So many logistical issues that will need to be covered even before a ball is kicked.
Personally, I don't think anyone will catch the virus with football but if it did happen, it would be an absolute disaster for the game and the clubs if it did happen.
And, as farcical as it all sounds, these scenarios do need to be looked at from a number of different standpoints.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back