Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be a logistical nightmare as well.
There's so many grey areas and unanswered questions that'll need to be answered before any of it can proceed.
Two football teams (44 people), coach and assistant coach for both teams (4 people), umpires (8 people), umpires advisor (1 person), runner for each team (2 people), water carriers/trainers (8-10 people), backroom staff (4 people), scoreboard operator (1 person), timekeepers (2 people), ground manager (1 person), kiosk volunteers (3-5 people), gate keepers (1-2 people), interchange steward (1 person), club executive/officials (5-10 people).
And that is before a single spectator is admitted.

Then there is the question of admittance to the venue.
As an example, The first game of the day at the TCA Ground is the SFLW match between Hobart and New Norfolk.
Do the players and staff involved in the following match (presumably the Reserves) then have to wait outside the venue in the carpark (all practicing the 1.5m social distancing requirement) and wait for the SFLW match to finish, the players from both teams to have their showers, dress and leave the venue by a particular egress point before they can enter?
Will the two changerooms and umpires rooms have to be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and have all seating and flat surfaces wiped down with an alcohol based sanitising agent prior to those players and umpires entering for the next match?

There's nowhere near enough volunteers to ensure these requirements meet compliance.
Are those volunteers covered from any issues that may arise? Are they issued with masks, gloves and all the other requirements that go with that?
Have they been tested for Covid-19 prior to entry?

So many logistical issues that will need to be covered even before a ball is kicked.
Personally, I don't think anyone will catch the virus with football but if it did happen, it would be an absolute disaster for the game and the clubs if it did happen.
And, as farcical as it all sounds, these scenarios do need to be looked at from a number of different standpoints.

Not farcial. All good sense given the current reality.

Its hard for the clubs to plan when they don't know when the most important factor is changed. That is, having crowds. Say 500, all practising social distancing, at least as well as Bunnings & supermarkets ;)

The only league which will/maybe play at this stage is the TSL via part AFL funding.

SFL will need to know they can have a crowd & when that'll be, then they could play.

Not farcial. All good sense given the current reality.

Its hard for the clubs to plan when they don't know when the most important factor is changed. That is, having crowds. Say 500, all practising social distancing, at least as well as Bunnings & supermarkets ;)

The only league which will/maybe play at this stage is the TSL via part AFL funding.

SFL will need to know they can have a crowd & when that'll be, then they could play.
And then there's added little problem that if there's a government recommendation that older people (say 65+) can't attend matches in order to keep them safe from possibly catching Coronavirus due to their age, I'm not sure about any of the other clubs but Hobart would struggle because at least half and possibly more of their volunteers are getting up in that age bracket. The two guys that strap and rub down the players are 77 and 82 years old respectively.
Probably half our volunteers would have to stay home. Unworkable.

I agree with you, I believe only the TSL will be in a position to go ahead due to some sort of AFL funding.

Will the two changerooms and umpires rooms have to be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and have all seating and flat surfaces wiped down with an alcohol based sanitising agent prior to those players and umpires entering for the next match?

The rooms definitely need to be cleaned between matches from what I have been told.

The rooms definitely need to be cleaned between matches from what I have been told.
And unfortunately that would more than likely be another financial outlay to clubs to cover for the cost of cleaning because there's simply not enough volunteers at clubs to comply with that and do it to the satisfactory requirements.
Cleaning at footy clubs is usually done by some elderly club volunteer that is retired and wanting to help out.

And unfortunately that would more than likely be another financial outlay to clubs to cover for the cost of cleaning because there's simply not enough volunteers at clubs to comply with that and do it to the satisfactory requirements.
Cleaning at footy clubs is usually done by some elderly club volunteer that is retired and wanting to help out.

And wait until finals, when the hosting clubs state that it is a League/Association problem to handle.

So an SFL season at best 50/50 I wonder how many other grassroot leagues Australia wide will not be going ahead, the Darwin Football Assoc in the NW called a halt to the season 2020 last Saturday the 23 May. It seems the Old Scholars also want to have up to 500 a people at a game for the same reasons of the SFL latest start there would be 18 Jul.
With out trying to be silly I understand clubs need the revenue from bar and canteen takings but how many Sfl clubs would regularly attract crowds of 500 hundred to games? Most tsl games would struggle to get those crowds surely if they could have crowds up to 250 people that would be workable I mean look at lindisfarne they get pretty small crowds yet they seem to have a fortune to spend on players each season these day I would love to know were they get there funds from ?

Those 2 finals in 2007 could drive a few people into another bout of depression by reliving the memories!

Those 2 finals in 2007 could drive a few people into another bout of depression by reliving the memories!
Yes one of them Claremont led by 46 points during the final quarter and the Hawks came from the dead to hit the front only for Claremont to kick a goal after the final siren to win it!
The other they kicked themselves out of against Huonville and went down by 4 points.
As a Hobart man, 2000 invokes similar feelings!

Yes one of them Claremont led by 46 points during the final quarter and the Hawks came from the dead to hit the front only for Claremont to kick a goal after the final siren to win it!
The other they kicked themselves out of against Huonville and went down by 4 points.
As a Hobart man, 2000 invokes similar feelings!

Getting a couple Claremont/Hawks games mixed up there.

Hawks came back from roughly 46 in 2006. The 2007 Final was level 9.10

Bad kicking and losing the best FB in the comp at the time, 2 minutes into the first quarter against Pud Darcy in his prime was crippling against Huonville.

Getting a couple Claremont/Hawks games mixed up there.

Hawks came back from roughly 46 in 2006. The 2007 Final was level 9.10

Bad kicking and losing the best FB in the comp at the time, 2 minutes into the first quarter against Pud Darcy in his prime was crippling against Huonville.
That was copied down from the Sunday Tasmanian at the time.
PS: I didn't realise Pud played at Huonville, knew he'd been at Cygnet, Kingborough and Glenorchy but never knew he played there as well 👍
Tough way to go out, big Adrian Burdon was coach back then wasn't he?
20200608_162506.jpg

Def
That was copied down from the Sunday Tasmanian at the time.
PS: I didn't realise Pud played at Huonville, knew he'd been at Cygnet, Kingborough and Glenorchy but never knew he played there as well 👍
Tough way to go out, big Adrian Burdon was coach back then wasn't he?
View attachment 888596

Yeah I am wrong on Pud :( My old brain wasn't what it was. All I remember is Ben's Hammy went twang, and so did a lot of the Hawks chances.

Hmmm that is interesting, but definitely wrong. Everyone was on knife edge all day.

Hearing rumours of 8 round season with finals, no reserves and no colts. Womens football going ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing rumours of 8 round season with finals, no reserves and no colts. Womens football going ahead.
No, not set in stone as yet. I believe they're still hoping to go ahead if there is a possibility at all (ie: lifting of crowd restrictions to a minimum of 200 spectators etc) for a shortened season.
Some of the volunteers at the club have been asked if they're available for four home games should it go ahead (not me personally) but I would say it's still no better than a 50% chance and what the make up of it all is anyone's guess (I think they're still having meetings to work out scenarios in any case).

No, not set in stone as yet. I believe they're still hoping to go ahead if there is a possibility at all (ie: lifting of crowd restrictions to a minimum of 200 spectators etc) for a shortened season.

From the 26th of June you can have 500 people at outdoor sporting events

UPDATE REGARDING THE 2020 SFL SEASON

The Southern Football League (SFL) Board unanimously determined that no player payments will be paid for at least the first four roster games of the shortened nine game 2020 SFL season.

The financial impacts of COVID-19 on the industry, the SFL and the clubs has been significant and it remains unclear what the ongoing effects will be on the Clubs’ traditional revenue streams - including attendances, membership, and sponsorship. It is a decision made for the ongoing sustainability of SFL clubs and to ensure a 2020 season could be played. Clubs will review their capacity to pay players after the first four roster games have been played.

SFL President Russell Young said the decision of the clubs was difficult but necessary in order to stage a season.
“We are extremely mindful of the position of our players and how tough COVID-19 has been for everyone and we immensely appreciate everyone’s hard work and sacrifice in order to make a 2020 season work.

“We have said all along that we will only play a season if it is safe and viable to do so and the clubs were united that this was a necessary step for their viability to get the season started.

“We set the decision at four rounds as there are so many unknowns and we believe clubs will have a better grasp on what football looks like in a COVID-19 environment by that point.

“Clearly in the COVID-19 environment we need to remain flexible as a League and continue to safeguard our clubs, and competition for beyond 2020,” Young said.

The SFL intends to commence the Women’s competition from the 18th of July and the Men’s competition on the 25th of July. Rosters will be confirmed and released in the coming days.

Russell Young
President 24/06/2020

2020 SFL Premiership Season.

✳ Round 1 - Saturday, 25 July 2020.
New Norfolk v Huonville Lions - Boyer Oval (3pm)
Brighton v Sorell - Pontville Oval (3pm)
Dodges Ferry v Claremont - Shark Park (3pm)
Hobart v Lindisfarne - TCA Ground (3pm)
Bye: Cygnet.

✳ Round 2 - Saturday, 1 August 2020.
Claremont v Hobart - Abbotsfield Park (3pm)
Lindisfarne v Cygnet - Anzac Park (3pm)
Huonville Lions v Brighton - Huonville Rec. Ground (3pm)
Sorell v Dodges Ferry - Pembroke Park (3pm)
Bye: New Norfolk.

✳ Round 3 - Saturday, 8 August 2020.
Cygnet v Claremont - Cygnet Oval (3pm)
Brighton v New Norfolk - Pontville Oval (3pm)
Dodges Ferry v Huonville Lions - Shark Park (3pm)
Hobart v Sorell - TCA Ground (3pm)
Bye: Lindisfarne.

✳ Round 4 - Saturday, 15 August 2020.
Claremont v Lindisfarne - Abbotsfield Park (3pm)
New Norfolk v Dodges Ferry - Boyer Oval (3pm)
Huonville Lions v Hobart - Huonville Rec. Ground (3pm)
Sorell v Cygnet - Pembroke Park (3pm)
Bye: Brighton.

✳ Round 5 - Saturday, 22 August 2020.
Lindisfarne v Sorell - Anzac Park (3pm)
Cygnet v Huonville Lions - Cygnet Oval (3pm)
Dodges Ferry v Brighton - Shark Park (3pm)
Hobart v New Norfolk - TCA Ground (3pm)
Bye: Claremont.

✳ Round 6 - Saturday, 29 August 2020.
New Norfolk v Cygnet - Boyer Oval (3pm)
Huonville Lions v Lindisfarne - Huonville Rec. Ground (3pm)
Sorell v Claremont - Pembroke Park (3pm)
Brighton v Hobart - Pontville Oval (3pm)
Bye: Dodges Ferry.

✳ Round 7 - Saturday, 5 September 2020.
Claremont v Huonville Lions - Abbotsfield Park (3pm)
Lindisfarne v New Norfolk - Anzac Park (3pm)
Cygnet v Brighton - Cygnet Oval (3pm)
Hobart v Dodges Ferry - TCA Ground (3pm)
Bye: Sorell.

✳ Round 8 - Saturday, 12 September 2020.
New Norfolk v Claremont - Boyer Oval (3pm)
Huonville Lions v Sorell - Huonville Rec. Ground (3pm)
Brighton v Lindisfarne - Pontville Oval (3pm)
Dodges Ferry v Cygnet - Shark Park (3pm)
Bye: Hobart.

✳ Round 9 - Saturday, 19 September 2020.
Claremont v Brighton - Abbotsfield Park (3pm)
Lindisfarne v Dodges Ferry - Anzac Park (3pm)
Cygnet v Hobart - Cygnet Oval (3pm)
Sorell v New Norfolk - Pembroke Park (3pm)
Bye: Huonville Lions.

No word on finals, Colts, Reserves and Womens fixtures or quarter lengths etc until next week.

The Southern Football League gets underway this weekend with four matches on the card.

Seniors - Round 1
Dodges Ferry v Claremont - Shark Park (2pm)
Hobart v Lindisfarne - TCA Ground (2pm)
New Norfolk v Huonville Lions - Boyer Oval (2:30pm)
Brighton v Sorell - Pontville Oval (3pm)
Bye: Cygnet

Reserves - Round 1
Dodges Ferry v Claremont (12pm)
Hobart v Lindisfarne - TCA Ground (10:15am)
New Norfolk v Huonville Lions - Boyer Oval (12:30pm)
Brighton v Sorell - Pontville Oval (1pm)
Bye: Cygnet

Colts - Round 2
Dodges Ferry v Claremont (10am)
New Norfolk v Huonville Lions - Boyer Oval (9am)
Southern Storm v Sorell - Cygnet Oval (9:30am)
Bye: Lindisfarne.

Womens - Round 2
Hobart v Lindisfarne - TCA Ground (12:15pm)
New Norfolk v Huonville Lions - Boyer Oval (11am)
The Port v University - Cygnet Oval (1pm)
Brighton v North Hobart - Pontville Oval (11:30am)
Kingborough v Claremont - Twin Ovals (12pm - Sunday)
Bye: South East Suns.

From the Mercury
After four seasons at Lindisfarne, two premiership and one as skipper, Cassidy took over the reins from Daniel Willing, who masterminded back-to-back flags in 2018-19.

“Cass” believes he can keep the standard high in the eight-round season, starting with a new-look Hobart at the TCA ground at 2pm.

“Dan run a good ship so I’ve got big shoes to fill, but we’ve got no doubt that we should be up there again,” Cassidy said.

“We are looking at hopefully winning it again and we’ve got eight games to find out where we are at but we’re shaping up pretty well.”

There is added weight as a playing-coach of a successful club.

“I’ve definitely got a lot of pressure on me so I’ve put some good people around me,” Cassidy said.

“They will take care of things so hopefully I don’t have too much off-field stuff to worry about while I’m playing.”

Cassidy’s right-hand man is former State League player Jason Elmer, who is Lindisfarne’s new bench coach.

“He’s got a lot of knowledge in footy so I can bounce things off him at quarter-time and halftime and then be able to go there and just play,” Cassidy said.

The Two Blues retained the bulk of their premiership crew.

“We lost Troy Cunliffe and Luke Swinton to the TSL. They wanted to have another crack at that, which is good to see,” Cassidy said.

“We’ve still got a lot of good players and I am expecting good things from them.”

In other round one games, Dodges Ferry hosts Claremont at Shark Park (2pm), New Norfolk is at home to Huonville Lions (2.30) and Brighton plays Sorell at Pontville (3pm).

CLUB BY CLUB

Brighton

Coach – Byron Howard

Captain – Dylan Ford

2019 finish – in Recess

Gains: Connor Salter, Joel Millhouse, Adrian Peach, Kelvin Richards, Lynden Carlton, Josh Davie, Pat Vout, Lachlan Daniels, Tyler Downham (Glenorchy), Brodie Johnstone, Leigh Thompson, Josh Nelson (Richmond) Ricky Chapple, Jak Chapple (SVC), Josh Jordan, Baxter Lewis, Kobe McCauley, Brady Hayden (Clarence), Alex Blair, Joseph Bangura (Geelong West Giants), Josh Nus (Clarence) Daniel Robottom, Nic Barker (Hobart), Sam Thomas (Oatlands), Jordy Byers (Mt Pleasant), Jackson Douglas (Currie) Jai Read, Jeremy Trinder, Liam Cashion, Jordan Percey, Mitch Ford (Bothwell), Jack Gallahar (North Hobart), Chris Claridge (Forth) Josh Mason (retirement).

Coach’s comment:Our main focus has been to ensure the Brighton Football Club survives after the Senior side went into recess in 2019. We have recruited players who have previously played at Brighton or have a connection with the club. Our group are young, keen, and ready to go after such a strange 2020 and we look forward to representing our community.

Claremont

Coach – Luke Potter

Captain – Jack Crossin

2019 finish – 6th

Gains: Scott Jones, Kaden Salter, Ryan Bosworth, Connar Walker, Bayley Bester, Braydon Pace, Aaron Percy, Jordon Stacey, Tristan Penneyston, Chris Denny, Justin Brown, Kyle Smith, Zac Webb.

Coach’s comments: After many unexpected interruptions he season is almost here. The boys are super keen to get out there and get stuck into it. Lots of new faces with the guys fitting in well.

Cygnet

Coach – Ben Cato

Captain – TBA

2019 finish – 4th

Gains: Thor Boscott (Lauderdale), Jack Tammens (University), Jordan Lane (Tigers), Jayden Appleby (Hutchins), Ben McDermott (Tigers), Harry Thomas (OHA)

Coach’s comments: As a club we are really happy with the four or five quality senior players that have signed up for 2020 along with some depth through our reserves. There is a really fresh vibe around our club, and we can’t wait to get started. Our aim is to keep improving, work hard and enjoy our football in 2020.

Dodges Ferry

Coach – Brent Dolliver

Captain – Mark Cusick

2019 finish – 3rd

Gains: Eden Bailey, Blake Anderton (Richmond), Tim Daff (Lauderdale), Kurt Styles (Lindisfarne), Alex Sweet, Kurt Flynn (Triabunna), Jack Martin (Clarence), Sam Youl (Basketball), Damian Rose, Trent Rogers (Bothwell), Nick Clark (Swansea)

Coach’s comments: It has been a long pre-season, but the boys are looking forward to the season finally starting. This season shapes as a very close competition, every team has been strengthened over the off season and we will all need to be on our game in a shortened season. Hopefully, we can be thereabouts come finals time.

Hobart

Coach – Alex Gilmour

Captain – Tim Lewinski

2019 finish – 8th

Gains: Alex Gilmour, Brad Joseph, Luke Adams, Kobey Phillips, Chris Hutchison, Aaron Kaye, Tim Clark, Ashton Arnold, Jack Adams (Richmond), James Caulfield (North Hobart), Will Dean (Kingborough Tigers), Liam Smith (Wynyard).

Coach’s comments: I have been rapt with the progression of the group since I have arrived. They completed a huge workload over summer and since returning post COVID we’ve focused heavily on our ball movement patterns which has come on in leaps and bounds. We understand we are coming from a long way back but we’ve added some top line recruits to assist the core group that were currently at the club and we believe we’ve assembled a list strong enough to be really competitive each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back