Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Claremont and Brighton will struggle to fill two sides. So will Richmond in OS.
Great numbers at Hobart, Cygnet and Huonville.
Sorell having trouble getting their Lauderdale recruits cleared apparently.

Going by Hobart’s FB post, they seem to be recruiting a lot of younger player. Are they looking for a few years time ? Of these young fellas going to make an impact ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Going by Hobart’s FB post, they seem to be recruiting a lot of younger player. Are they looking for a few years time ? Of these young fellas going to make an impact ?

Bit of both I think. Definitely setting up for longterm success though.
Hobart has been very ordinary for many, many years.
Apart from 2003 when the club went from limping into an Elimination Final, winning two out of their last ten roster matches to making it all the way to a Grand Final on the back of great finals series run, the last season they were ultra competitive was 2001.
In fact, Hobart hasn't won a single final since 26th August 2006. Won one finals match since the 2003 Preliminary Final when they beat Clarence by a point, so changes needed to be made.

Bit of both I think. Definitely setting up for longterm success though.
Hobart has been very ordinary for many, many years.
Apart from 2003 when the club went from limping into an Elimination Final, winning two out of their last ten roster matches to making it all the way to a Grand Final on the back of great finals series run, the last season they were ultra competitive was 2001.
In fact, Hobart hasn't won a single final since 26th August 2006. Won one finals match since the 2003 Preliminary Final when they beat Clarence by a point, so changes needed to be made.
why pilfer when they should develop their own?

Why not? We've had it done to us enough times over the years!
There have been numerous attempts over the years to develop from underneath via our junior club but unfortunately when you are surrounded by large junior clubs that are well established and have been around for many, many years as they all have, it makes it pretty difficult to get the sorts of numbers involved to make it viable. But they are still continuing.
Out of our last Colts flag in 2017, five of those went on to play senior football.
Retention of players once they age out of Colts as example, remains a big problem for all teams.

Not to sure if you’ve seen the set up of the HJFC, but atm only have under 8,9,10,11,12s a few years before these kids will come in to the senior club.... that’s if they stick it out. Share a recruiting zone with Nth Hobart and Sandy Bay, soon thins the pool of kids out. Even with the cheapest rego rates in the stjfl still struggles to fill teams.

Not to sure if you’ve seen the set up of the HJFC, but atm only have under 8,9,10,11,12s a few years before these kids will come in to the senior club.... that’s if they stick it out. Share a recruiting zone with Nth Hobart and Sandy Bay, soon thins the pool of kids out. Even with the cheapest rego rates in the stjfl still struggles to fill teams.

no different to any other club set up - its inner city should have plentyof kids - coming through from st virgils even.
Do not agree with how they have gone about it - the side should replace kingborough in the stjfl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no different to any other club set up - its inner city should have plentyof kids - coming through from st virgils even.
Do not agree with how they have gone about it - the side should replace kingborough in the stjfl

I think you might of missed my point...... Hobart has no youth team 12-18s. I get what your OP meant by they should be developing from within. The point I was trying to make is that for them to do that. their current crop of jr's are a good 6 years away, and thats if they stick it out with the club. There's no alignment with SVC anymore.. I don't think there has been since the early to mid 2000s maybe early 2010's..

Have heard from a very reliable source that Byron Howard has stepped down as coach of Brighton.
His son, Jacob Howard has stepped up to take on the role.

Anyone know of any practice games coming up ?
● Thursday, 4th March: Hobart v DOSA at Campania.
Six-quarter game (three Seniors, three Reserves) for the Tye Bennett Memorial Cup, starts at 5:30pm.
● Saturday, 13th March: St Pats v Hobart in Launceston.
● Friday, 12th March: Dodges Ferry v St Virgils at North Hobart Oval, starts at 6pm.
● Friday, 19th March: Dodges Ferry v Triabunna at Shark Park, match starts at 6pm.
● Friday, 19th March: Lindisfarne v St Virgils at Pontville, match starts at 6pm.

Last edited:
Hobart have applied for player points exemption again - they had this last year and now gon and recruited x amount of players bad luck

My Claremont boys smashed by OHA last night, gonna be hard to see them win a game this year unfortunately
How are they going for numbers out there now?
Any improvement on earlier reports?
Hobart won by about 40 points over DOSA, about 7-8 top line players not playing including Rat Gilmour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back