Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Col Garland to take the reigns is what I’m hearing. Have a mate who plays for Brighton, they’re all talking about Webberley being there next year apparently. A shame, as Clarence looked to have finally clicked

I've literally just heard the same thing. Garland should have a good system, hopefully can fill the void.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
If Webberley and Daly are the one’s Duff is talking about then it’s hardly the dagger in the heart of the TSL that he’s making it out to be, Jez has coached Clarence for a decent stint and his best Football is well behind him, Daly returning to his original club is hardly surprising either.

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Hopefully can attract a few players as well. Clarence have a good list as it is, but probably need another 2-3 high quality players to compete with Launceston

Wonder if Webberley would take many with him... you would think players would follow

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Wonder if Webberley would take many with him... you would think players would follow
Jason Bailey definitely one I heard, but he’s on the decline anyway. Wade Wall probably goes as well as that’s his original club. But doubt any of the young talent would go out there, unless there’s ridiculous $$ being offered. Clarence might be in contention next year under Garland. Even him being a player drew Norton, Steele and Angerstein to Clarence this year

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Sad to read about the serious incident/ injuries suffered by Ryan Wiggins in the weekend. Thoughts to his family and members of the Port about this horrible news. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

in regards to Kingpin‘s comments about the old stand at Boyer, I believe they are looking at options but the demolishing of the stand is highly likely. Will be a sad day considering it’s history and link back to many great moments that have occurred at Boyer over many years.

That indeed will be a sad day when/if the stand is demolished, as my late father was one of the many 'volunteers' who spent 6 months during many nights and weekends helping build the stand - he was also good mates with Les Hepper...

Last edited:

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Urban rumour Jimmy Webster from St Kilda looking to come to Brighton next year and play, apparently isn't all that happy in the AFL (believe it when i see it).
Cal Daly 50/50 on returning to Brighton, used to play there before heading to the Pies. Good player, would be a big pickup for them.
Rumours over Gilmour leaving Hobart are hogwash, apparently playing on next year as coach, out for the season iS the word I'm hearing re: shoulder injury.
Laycock retired, knee stuffed apparently.
So far looks like its Cygnet's flag to lose.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
PS: Does anyone think the state league will last another 2 years? AFL's losing money by the ocean load every week over this Chinese virus crap and look like losing a hundred million bucks if this continues.
Can see them tightening the belts and giving even less to Tas, probably see the state comp get the heaveho if they do!!

Nicktheguy

Debutant
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Urban rumour Jimmy Webster from St Kilda looking to come to Brighton next year and play, apparently isn't all that happy in the AFL (believe it when i see it).
Cal Daly 50/50 on returning to Brighton, used to play there before heading to the Pies. Good player, would be a big pickup for them.
Rumours over Gilmour leaving Hobart are hogwash, apparently playing on next year as coach, out for the season iS the word I'm hearing re: shoulder injury.
Laycock retired, knee stuffed apparently.
So far looks like its Cygnet's flag to lose.
Webster to ditch the saints for an SFL club, and a bottom club at that. You're kidding surely! He's literally playing some of his best footy in the last few weeks. Averaging 20 disposals running off half back over the last 5 weeks, 16 for the season.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline
If Webberley and Daly are the one’s Duff is talking about then it’s hardly the dagger in the heart of the TSL that he’s making it out to be, Jez has coached Clarence for a decent stint and his best Football is well behind him, Daly returning to his original club is hardly surprising either.

Not Cal's original club, at least not for Senior Football.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Webster to ditch the saints for an SFL club, and a bottom club at that. You're kidding surely! He's literally playing some of his best footy in the last few weeks. Averaging 20 disposals running off half back over the last 5 weeks, 16 for the season.
Not my rumour but that's one I heard thr other day, like I said, believe it when I see it!!

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Webberley to Brighton is a done deal. Brighton building. And building using the right cattle, only going after Brighton people is what my contact close to Webberley has said.

Nicktheguy

Debutant
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heard from a reliable source that Zac Webster is moving to Brighton next year, along with a couple other Glenorchy players.

Glenorchy are a rabble. Amazing really since they've got the best facilities - state of the art. & A great coach. Anyway this is the SFL chat.

Anyone reckon Lindisfarne can knock off Cygnet should they play them in the granny? Saw them in the wet against New Norfolk on Saturday & bloody hell they looked s**t hot.

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Went out to Brighton today to watch Dodges and Brighton. If you want to watch football, the viewing platform there is great. Close to the bar to. One of the best games I've seen in a while. Dodges very lucky to walk away with the win. Ryan Bailey still has it. One of the best big men in the state.

In other games, gee claremont got it handed to them. How their players turn up each week has got me stuffed. Take my hat off to the players for hanging in.

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Went out to Brighton today to watch Dodges and Brighton. If you want to watch football, the viewing platform there is great. Close to the bar to. One of the best games I've seen in a while. Dodges very lucky to walk away with the win. Ryan Bailey still has it. One of the best big men in the state.

In other games, gee claremont got it handed to them. How their players turn up each week has got me stuffed. Take my hat off to the players for hanging in.
Was a shame Bailey left Clarence. Clearly had what it took to be a gun in the TSL for a long time. Angerstein has been a decent alternative, but doesn’t have anywhere near the skill set of Bailey

stevejeffery

Draftee
Jul 29, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Long time reader, first time poster.
I was also at the game down at Pontville today. Dodges had the better of the Robins early but the Robins really fought back in the last three quarters and had the better of Dodges for most the match.
Good signs coming out of Brighton, but going off that showing I think it proves that Dodges really are just going to be making up the numbers come finals time.
Hooker extremely well held and convincingly beaten all day by a dread locked fella by the name of Shaw. He looks like very solid key position player forming part of a nice spine out at Brighton along with the likes of Bailey and Salter.

petefrancis

Draftee
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Long time reader, first time poster.
I was also at the game down at Pontville today. Dodges had the better of the Robins early but the Robins really fought back in the last three quarters and had the better of Dodges for most the match.
Good signs coming out of Brighton, but going off that showing I think it proves that Dodges really are just going to be making up the numbers come finals time.
Hooker extremely well held and convincingly beaten all day by a dread locked fella by the name of Shaw. He looks like very solid key position player forming part of a nice spine out at Brighton along with the likes of Bailey and Salter.

thought much the same today, caught the end of the reserves game and the majority of the seniors game and Shaw was very handy down back for the Robins. First time all year Hooker been held goalless, and looked well beaten for the majority of the game. Definitely expecting him to push into the Robins leadership group going forward, showed great signs of a leader today.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Nearly a couple of big upsets there today.
Brighton kicked about 2-10 in the last quarter and stuffed it, shouldda won that!!
Sorell served it up to NN down there and were in with a big chance but the Boyer boys got away late.
Farne seem to be peaking at the right time, snapped Port's long winning run stretching back to about round 1 or 2 pretty easily.
I think those two will be in the big one, personally.
I see big Micky Paul's back playing at Huonville, 52-29 to zip over the Mont. Paul got 7.
Gotta hand it the Mont boys turning up every week, been a Crocker of a year for them.
I think the five is just about settled now tbh, NN on 28 a game clear of Hobart on 24 who have the Farne (won't win that one), Dodges (50/50) and Brighton (should win that) to come - so a max of 8 points there (32).
NN have Dodges at home (should win), Brighton (should win) and Cygnet at home (probably won't win) so a probable 8 points there (36). Could come down to percentage if Norfik unexpectedly drop the Sharks or Brighton game.
Sorell on 20 have Huonville at home (no), Lindisfarne away (no) and Dodges at home (maybe) so they're stuffed!!
Don't see possies 4-5 doing anything noteworthy come finals, only one with a slight chance outside the top two are Huonville and they are a bit hit & miss.

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Just looked at the remaining fixture, and the way that Brighton played yesterday, they should win more than the one game for the rest of the season. Howard has them playing to a great structure. Love how he sent Salter back to help out that Shaw in the third quarter to limit DF with the wind. They have some good young players who have obviously learned the game plan and it seems its clicked. Thought it was exciting watching them play to be honest. I might go watch them against Claremont next week, which is meant to a match of the bottom two... with such a huge gap between them.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Just looked at the remaining fixture, and the way that Brighton played yesterday, they should win more than the one game for the rest of the season. Howard has them playing to a great structure. Love how he sent Salter back to help out that Shaw in the third quarter to limit DF with the wind. They have some good young players who have obviously learned the game plan and it seems its clicked. Thought it was exciting watching them play to be honest. I might go watch them against Claremont next week, which is meant to a match of the bottom two... with such a huge gap between them.

With all the due respect that’s an extraordinary take based off just one game of footy in shitty conditions, they’ve lost their previous 3 matches by a combined margin of over 300 points.

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
With all the due respect that’s an extraordinary take based off just one game of footy in shitty conditions, they’ve lost their previous 3 matches by a combined margin of over 300 points.

Can only base opinions based on what you see. From what I saw yesterday, NN and Hobart should be almost winnable games? Should they not? Dodges are better than them, are they not?

Wouldn't say shitty conditions, the sun was out all game. Beautiful conditions for football, just a bit cold.

And their three last games, I just checked, were against cygnet, lindisfarne and huonville. All top 3.

Not entirely sure that's an "extraordinary take" of football.

Clar should be a win by 150 plus.
NN appear to have injuries.
Hobart are just a rabble. From reports, they should have beaten them in oatlands.

Back