Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
There’s a bit to play out I think. The new coach might entice a few to stay

Also, reckon we’re any chance of an upset v Launny this week?

Absolutely. Think we're a great chance to knock them off. It will be a good game that's for sure.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Some will go due to the fact that they are not going to play seniors going forward. The simple fact is Clarence twos have some very good players playing. Players like Jason Bailey and Wade Wall would be very good SFL players but are at the end of their TSL careers.

footynuffy

Draftee
Aug 7, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Anymore details? Just rang someone I know at Brighton and they said they haven't heard of any of this..
report was only filed on monday with player X receiving a 3 week suspension for a bump / tackle that left a hobart player with a broken collar bone and a couple of ribs allegedly.
we are talking a big body against a smaller body sometimes these accidents happen.

but with the umpire not deeming it aggressive enough to warrant a report on game day how does it come to light 8 days after.

absolutely laughable

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
First and second semis tomorrow.
Lindisfarne should get over Dodges, only just but wouldn't surprise me if the Sharks get up, Farne have looked cooked for weeks.
Cygnet and Huonville will be a good one, wouldn't be shocked if Huonville got up actually, but Port should logically win. Won't be a 20 goal difference like last time.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Cygnet through to the grand final in a fortnight, Huonville play Lindisfarne for the umpteenth time in the last month in the prelim at NHO.
Huonville were all over Cygnet in the first quarter but eventually ran over them to win by four and a bit goals.
Lindisfarne came from close to 5 goals behind to smash Dodges by almost 10 goals to finish them off for the year.
Reckon we might see a repeat of last year with two Huon clubs playing off. Hope we don't have to listen to another repeat of whinging from down there about covid and crowd restrictions. Worse than poms last year.
Cygnet will have seniors, colts and womens playing in the grand final after today.
Saw the SFL were having stewards being paid to go around and make people social distance and wear masks. What a crock. From what I heard no one wore masks at the Farne or Cygnet anyway

mr incredibe

Senior List
Oct 13, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Old Scholars was increased from 1900 to 3000 if thats anything to go by.

Not 100% sure but I believe SFL got in early with work safe and applied for a higher capacity. OSFA didn’t get it in in time.

I’m hearing SFL finals capped at 5k

Still hard to justify given two afl teams from Sydney of all places, tv crews etc were allowed 10k

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Not 100% sure but I believe SFL got in early with work safe and applied for a higher capacity. OSFA didn’t get it in in time.

Still hard to justify given two afl teams from Sydney of all places, tv crews etc were allowed 10k

I think the main issue is having the resources to cater for such a large crowd following all the Covid protocols.

Ozguy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Some Team on the Decline

Fully seated, so "theoretically" 10k can be socially distanced.

And yes, we all know that is a joke

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Fully seated, so "theoretically" 10k can be socially distanced.

And yes, we all know that is a joke
Logically I reckon if you capped it at 4k that would be pretty sufficient for a SFL final.
I had a gander at the SFL wikipedia page for crowd numbers earlier, and if the Farne lose on Saturday you would have an all Huon grand final again.
All Huon grand finals have happened four times before and are pretty much up around 4k give or take a couple of hundred.
Back in '96 Channel & Kingston got 4149 to Claremont which was apparently a bit of BS number as Abbotsfeild doesn't hold 4k!!
In '05 Kermandie & Cygnet got 3800, in '07 Kermandie & Huonville got 4303.
Then you had last year with the virus restrictions only 1k were allowed in - I did hear that the final number was only about 960 as some stayed home because of the bad weather on the day.
Lindisfarne's crowds are up and down, in '08 they had 4397 against Huonville, in '09 pulled 3804 against New Norfolk, 4956 against New Norfolk in '12, 4023 against Claremont in '16, 3330 against New Norfolk in '17, 4054 and 4126 against Huonville in '18 & '19.
For some reason the crowds at NHO haven't been as good as the ones that were at Glenorchy when they were played there over the last 10 years or so.

popsikle99

Team Captain
Feb 29, 2016
Aus
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone know what this is about?

Attachments

• 0380068D-9773-4E57-97BA-316B1A9A86B4.jpeg
    0380068D-9773-4E57-97BA-316B1A9A86B4.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 89

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
What a pointless article that is.
Might as well have just printed what colours they wear, what street their ground is in, what their ruckman's favourite colour is and what the full-back's favourite TV show was as a kid just for good measure. More poor standards from the Mercury.
Wonder if that story will get endless coverage in the local toilet paper like that overblown and only half printed story about the Hobart, Great Lake Hotel "incident" reported on by that totally insipid Brett Stubbs?
Never heard much more than a couple of lines about a certain player referring to Cygnet Captain-Coach, Thor Boscott, as a "coconut" on the ground at Cygnet a few weeks before that!
Problem is with the Mercury (and more to the point, some of its tabloid journos), is that they pay scant regard to the competition during most times, and only if some sort of "juicy scandal" breaks do they show any sort of interest but selectively only cherry-pick bits and pieces of stories to print, never the full story. And favour certain clubs over others.
Either get the full facts of the story from both parties or don't print until it has been thoroughly investigated and tabled.

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Huonville got beaten in the inders by Hobart by about 20 points and by New Norfolk in the 2s by 3 points.
Seniors playing now

Back