Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we going to be seeing some sad things occur over the next couple of months in this competition?

How can Claremont and Brighton come back?

Claremont have to recruit a coach and then how many decent players? It's a huge long process... they don't have any players that are senior players...

Brighton, have showed they can't recruit. They lose their coach and several decent players are leaving. They had their sights set on Webster and Daly Co coaching. Where they would need to bring several decent senior players along with them. And they still wouldn't even be near a finals side.

These two players are obviously not going to Brighton... who the hell can they get to coach them now? All of their good players need some decent players joining them.

I just feel that there could be some hard decisions to be had... will we see these two sides drop off the cliff?

I hope not but I just can't see them continue.

Are we going to be seeing some sad things occur over the next couple of months in this competition?

Claremont have to recruit a coach and then how many decent players? It's a huge long process... they don't have any players that are senior players...

Brighton, have showed they can't recruit. They lose their coach and several decent players are leaving. They had their sights set on Webster and Daly Co coaching. Where they would need to bring several decent senior players along with them. And they still wouldn't even be near a finals side.

These two players are obviously not going to Brighton... who the hell can they get to coach them now? All of their good players need some decent players joining them.

I just feel that there could be some hard decisions to be had... will we see these two sides drop off the cliff?

What do you suggest?

Claremont last night announced Nathan brown as senior coach for 2022

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SFL Under 19 Grand Final:
Southern Storm 10.8 (68) d Hobart 4.3 (27)

SFL Reserves Grand Final:
Lindisfarne 11.11 (77) d New Norfolk 1.5 (11)

SFL Seniors Grand Final:
Cygnet 11.10 (76) d Huonville Lions 7.16 (58)

Geez Huonville would be kicking themselves for their bad kicking in the first half when they were all over Cygnet, it give them an opening and being a good finishing team - they eventually cracked it open when the rain started to lamp it down and jagged a flag.
Similat to the second semi.
Boscott got BOG.
Pretty fair result really, Port best team in the league all season and only dropped two games all year, one of them being 9 goals up and lost it.
Reserves game was a crap game, NN went MIA, only kicked one goal the whole game and got flogged by the Farne. Farne never dropped a game all season on that one. NN looked unfit.
The Unders was a good game actually, Storm ended premiers winning by about 40 pts but I thought Hobart really took it up t9 them for a lot of it, just couldn't kick enough score to make the Storm pay and it blew out late.
That Storm will continue to win flags everywhere, pretty handy set up when you've got the best of three seperete junior clubs and part of another when Kingston never fielded 18s this year. No wonder they never lost a game!!
Who's idea was it to put the match on the scoreboard so big that the score was so tiny you couldn't hsrdly read it? Hard enough to read but being 50+ it was even harder.
All in all was a pretty good day, pretty good crowd, I would guess about 3,500 maybe a few more, most people wearing their face nappies, did see a fella get chucked out by the rozzas for not wearing a mask in the third quarter.

Good summary of the games IMO Gersman

Hobart had a crack and always went in as underdogs against Southern Storm.
Reserves game was uninspiring to watch, Lindisfarne absolutely dominated.

Seniors a great match -> Huonville didn't take their chances in 1st half but overall Cygnet deserving premiers

Geez Huonville would be kicking themselves for their bad kicking in the first half when they were all over Cygnet, it give them an opening and being a good finishing team - they eventually cracked it open when the rain started to lamp it down and jagged a flag.
Similat to the second semi.
Boscott got BOG.
Pretty fair result really, Port best team in the league all season and only dropped two games all year, one of them being 9 goals up and lost it.
Reserves game was a crap game, NN went MIA, only kicked one goal the whole game and got flogged by the Farne. Farne never dropped a game all season on that one. NN looked unfit.
The Unders was a good game actually, Storm ended premiers winning by about 40 pts but I thought Hobart really took it up t9 them for a lot of it, just couldn't kick enough score to make the Storm pay and it blew out late.
That Storm will continue to win flags everywhere, pretty handy set up when you've got the best of three seperete junior clubs and part of another when Kingston never fielded 18s this year. No wonder they never lost a game!!
Who's idea was it to put the match on the scoreboard so big that the score was so tiny you couldn't hsrdly read it? Hard enough to read but being 50+ it was even harder.
All in all was a pretty good day, pretty good crowd, I would guess about 3,500 maybe a few more, most people wearing their face nappies, did see a fella get chucked out by the rozzas for not wearing a mask in the third quarter.

Really good summary of the day and the better team in Cygnet win. Huonville had their chances in the first half but couldnot capitalise. Boscott did play well but I liked the look of the tall Cygnet forward in Zeikman who looks a player. Was a really good contest played between the two best teams.

Agree with your comments about the scoreboard. No idea why the showed the game on there and like you I couldn’t read the score too well.

Great crowd and atmosphere too. Footy and rivalries are still alive in the Huon.

Really good summary of the day and the better team in Cygnet win. Huonville had their chances in the first half but couldnot capitalise. Boscott did play well but I liked the look of the tall Cygnet forward in Zeikman who looks a player. Was a really good contest played between the two best teams.

Agree with your comments about the scoreboard. No idea why the showed the game on there and like you I couldn’t read the score too well.

Great crowd and atmosphere too. Footy and rivalries are still alive in the Huon.

I liked the footage/ replays but perhaps the configuration could have had the score bigger whilst keeping the footage.

Zeitzen #28 agreed he looks good! Showed some real confidence kicking those couple of goals as a young bloke.

Thor perhaps not his greatest first half but clearly the most influential in turning the game so I agree in that he deserved to win the medal.
Him into the middle and lane into the ruck after halftime changed it.
That and the unfortunate injury to Jones.

4100 in total I’m hearing was the crowd which isn’t too bad. Would be interested to know how many tuned in on line too.

Now to the silly season!!

Couple of new coaches but well loved ex players in Butterworth and Brown taking over the reigns at New Norfolk and Claremont, what they lack in coaching experience I would think can be outweighed somewhat by their popularity and ability to recruit.

Brighton whispers seem just that for now, Daly gone to NHO so there’s that one gone. Not sure about Muir but heard he’s headed to NHO as well?

Anyone have any player moves?

I liked the footage/ replays but perhaps the configuration could have had the score bigger whilst keeping the footage.

Zeitzen #28 agreed he looks good! Showed some real confidence kicking those couple of goals as a young bloke.

Thor perhaps not his greatest first half but clearly the most influential in turning the game so I agree in that he deserved to win the medal.
Him into the middle and lane into the ruck after halftime changed it.
That and the unfortunate injury to Jones.

4100 in total I’m hearing was the crowd which isn’t too bad. Would be interested to know how many tuned in on line too.

Now to the silly season!!

Couple of new coaches but well loved ex players in Butterworth and Brown taking over the reigns at New Norfolk and Claremont, what they lack in coaching experience I would think can be outweighed somewhat by their popularity and ability to recruit.

Brighton whispers seem just that for now, Daly gone to NHO so there’s that one gone. Not sure about Muir but heard he’s headed to NHO as well?

Anyone have any player moves?
I heard that a lot of Brighton players are moving to North Hobart. Their top talent have been chased by them pretty hard. With Daly going there, that could help that.
In terms of their coaching, I have no idea who they will get. I know one of the players there pretty well and he said that they don't have anyone else. Muir was close but decided against it due to how poorly they're run and they won't spend any money. The players haven't heard from the club. There's been no reaching out to them letting them know what's going on, because the club don't have a coach. Scary times.

Brown should be good for Claremont. Hopefully he can get them up and about and get some former magpies back there. Josh Arnold from glenorchy has been offered some big dollars to get him there as an assistant. Which would be great for them. Not so great for Glenorchy as they continue to lose players.

I think Sorell will be the surprise improvers, early on with a lot of rumours that a fair chunk of clarence d league players are heading there. Wall and weily leading the charge there to go and play with castle. Green is off to lindisfarne as playing assistant coach

NN will continue to be ok. Butterworth a good appointment but hasn't had experience. Will be good with their old coach sticking around and helping. A good community feel to that club it seems.

The two Huon sides will continue to dominate. Can't see them falling back to the pack and can't see the pack gaining enough momentum to catch up.

How good is silly season. Lord it has started early this year. But I guess with so many clubs in the sfl and tsl so far behind the black ball, they need to get up and about earlier. Good to see some clubs being proactive.

Yes, must admit I was really only casually watching the seniors game in between carrying on several conversations with people I'd not seen for ages (Grand Final day at North Hobart is great for that) and thought Huonville should've been 7-8 goals up at half time.
But they kicked 1.9 and were only three goals up, figured the Port would eventually run over them and they did.
It took longer than I thought it would to be fair.
Having seen us play both teams during the year, I thought Cygnet was by far the better of the two this year even though we did manage to beat them in Round 1 on a hot day with our full list in.
The only entertainment in the reserves was watching this hard-faced New Norfolk supporter with red, white and black face paint that reminded me of Jimmy Loughnan's missus off "Chopper", absolutely rip into the New Norfolk players in front of the Horrie Gorringe Stand in the last quarter telling them they were "WEAK AS F****** PISS NORFIK! YAS DUN F****** WANNIT!" before scratching her bunghole and toddling off elsewhere.
I was very proud of Hobart's Colts team, Southern Storm (ie: a Huon/part Kingborough rep side if we're being honest) had only had one game all season where a side got within ten goals of them (they beat Hobart by 45 points on the opening day) and the Tigers got to within 17 points of them early in the last quarter, but the Storm had too much skill and poise and were able to kick a few late cheapies to blow it out to 41 points at the finish, but it was a pretty tight game for the better part. Just about all of those boys will age out now and be stepping up to play reserves and senior footy next year at Hobart.
Good bunch of blokes.

The issue with the scoreboard I was told was that the people that did the Hobart Hurricanes games over at Blundstone were in charge of it putting the match up on the screen, I thought it was supposed to be highlights shown but it was the full match on the screen live, I could read the scores but you're right, if you had limited eyesight it would've been impossible to read.
The live stream coverage was good I thought, did a top job. I did notice Duff-TV posted that they were upset at no longer doing matches for whatever reason, had ceased coverage back in May according to his post.
Hopefully next season the crew that did the finals will do a match each week as there was very little this year.

Some good summaries of the day. Apologies to 28 from Cygnet and his name - I still think he looks like a ripping prospect!

New Norfolk supporters are an interesting breed - always been like it and have provided many laughs and shakes of the head over the years!

Watched the reply online and it was of a high standard too. Good commentary and very informative too. Brent Costelloe as the match day MC was an excellent choice.

Only one item of feedback to improve the day. Have a small portable stage for the medal and cup presentations. Having them at ground level was not great as you couldn't see it happening.

I dont see a lot of SFL but really enjoyed the day and may look at watching a bit more in 2022.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the medal count being done? Have not heard a word about it! 🤷‍♂️
According to a post I read on another Facebook group, it is being held next Monday night, 27th September.
No idea as to what venue, how many are allowed to attend, why it's being held now rather than Grand Final week etc. I'm sure there has to be a legit reason as to why it's being held so late.
No publicity of it on the SFL page mind you.

Thanks KP.
Heard Lochie Plummer and Ryan Bosworth signed on at the Mont for 22.
Plummer played with Hobart until end of 2020 but had a year off after running into some troubles off field and Bosworth was playing at Uni this year.
Both handy pickups for Claremont.

Thanks KP.
Heard Lochie Plummer and Ryan Bosworth signed on at the Mont for 22.
Plummer played with Hobart until end of 2020 but had a year off after running into some troubles off field and Bosworth was playing at Uni this year.
Both handy pickups for Claremont.
Those troubles off field being him king hitting a bloke & leaving him permanently disfigured. His sentence was wholly suspended & he recieved 210 hours of community service. His victim on the other hand was unable to drive & lost his job.
Pretty ****ed. https://www.themercury.com.au/truec...m/news-story/c63d3b713b547e11ca779b2040e12cf4

True that it was a bad incident, he plead guilty and is clearly in the process of serving his punishments for what was clearly a huge mistake.

While people are entitled to be disgusted at the incident, or have views around the sentence, etc I don't think it benefits anyone to continue to drum up news stories 2 years after the incident occurred.
He's a talented young player, and hopefully he has turned things around off field.

Not advocating his actions, but surely the bloke gets a chance to move on with his life at some point.

True that it was a bad incident, he plead guilty and is clearly in the process of serving his punishments for what was clearly a huge mistake.

While people are entitled to be disgusted at the incident, or have views around the sentence, etc I don't think it benefits anyone to continue to drum up news stories 2 years after the incident occurred.
He's a talented young player, and hopefully he has turned things around off field.

Not advocating his actions, but surely the bloke gets a chance to move on with his life at some point.
100% i agree, just think the sentence should have been slightly harsher.
Without knowing Lachlan personally i can't comment on whether he's reformed, I certainly hope that he has.

Anyone know where to find the full votes for last night's medal? Horrible reporting of the night. No live stream, no photos on sfl page. Shocking.

Dismal coverage of the medal count - terrible.
Worst one off all the comps in Tassie by a long way!!
Why wasnt it live streamed so people could actually watch it? No good of putting it up days later when most people wouldda heard who already won it.
The only news was in the paper. 20210928_115026.jpg

Seems a pretty retrograde step in not live-streaming the event and having no photos of it on the SFL page in all honesty.
One would tend to think that viewer numbers would be quite a bit lower by sticking it up on Youtube a week later than it would by streaming it on their page live as the count was taking place.
Feels like it's gone back to the early internet, pre-social media era of 1997-98.
I presume it's because Duff-TV are no longer involved with SFL footy any longer?
Can someone tell me why they decided to hold the medal count a week and a bit after the Grand Final rather than the traditional Monday night of Grand Final week timeslot?
With the photos, Dave Harding used to do most of them but he seems to have been phased out by the SFL to only doing some matchday photos these days.
Is it just me or does there seem to be better quality coverage of the STJFL than what you get with either the SFL or TSL nowdays?
I noticed the STJFL matchday programs are 100% better and more up to date than what the SFL's ones are.
I went to a game somewhere during the season (Lindisfarne, I think it was) and the program was about two weeks out of date!

Seems a pretty retrograde step in not live-streaming the event and having no photos of it on the SFL page in all honesty.
One would tend to think that viewer numbers would be quite a bit lower by sticking it up on Youtube a week later than it would by streaming it on their page live as the count was taking place.
Feels like it's gone back to the early internet, pre-social media era of 1997-98.
I presume it's because Duff-TV are no longer involved with SFL footy any longer?
Can someone tell me why they decided to hold the medal count a week and a bit after the Grand Final rather than the traditional Monday night of Grand Final week timeslot?
With the photos, Dave Harding used to do most of them but he seems to have been phased out by the SFL to only doing some matchday photos these days.
Is it just me or does there seem to be better quality coverage of the STJFL than what you get with either the SFL or TSL nowdays?
I noticed the STJFL matchday programs are 100% better and more up to date than what the SFL's ones are.
I went to a game somewhere during the season (Lindisfarne, I think it was) and the program was about two weeks out of date!

I think I can answer a few of those,
Dave is still their photographer but I think the poor guy is overwhelmed at times with the amount of images he has to deal with.

He was at the WL and was taking heaps of pics which I assume he will upload (he also admins the SFL Facebook) and I’m quite sure he’s not paid much or at all.

Duff if no longer involved but don’t let his sob story fool you, if the truth be told they couldn’t agree on price and having dealt with him in the past his push to benefit from the SFL, sponsors and the clubs has left a few shaking their heads. He’s wiped Tubes also given tubes jumped across to the new mob so he could be involved.

The coverage is better, more professional and the filming to a higher standard IMO, replays etc much better than what duff could produce.

I do believe they did miss a trick not live streaming the medal count. I don’t believe that will be the case again.

As far as the week later again I think with 3 women’s divisions a state final it’s just too much for a small committee of mostly volunteers to get done in time.
Given the women’s comp was a last minute effort and it ran really well I think you will find the errors of this year will be fixed next year.

Given what has occurred I think they’ve done a pretty fair job but agree there’s room for improvement

I think I can answer a few of those,
Dave is still their photographer but I think the poor guy is overwhelmed at times with the amount of images he has to deal with.

He was at the WL and was taking heaps of pics which I assume he will upload (he also admins the SFL Facebook) and I’m quite sure he’s not paid much or at all.

Duff if no longer involved but don’t let his sob story fool you, if the truth be told they couldn’t agree on price and having dealt with him in the past his push to benefit from the SFL, sponsors and the clubs has left a few shaking their heads. He’s wiped Tubes also given tubes jumped across to the new mob so he could be involved.

The coverage is better, more professional and the filming to a higher standard IMO, replays etc much better than what duff could produce.

I do believe they did miss a trick not live streaming the medal count. I don’t believe that will be the case again.

As far as the week later again I think with 3 women’s divisions a state final it’s just too much for a small committee of mostly volunteers to get done in time.
Given the women’s comp was a last minute effort and it ran really well I think you will find the errors of this year will be fixed next year.

Given what has occurred I think they’ve done a pretty fair job but agree there’s room for improvement

That apart, seeing the Div 1 womens GF was played with one team a player short & no interchange because of some bureaucratic set of rules from a past situation. That was an embarrassment for the SFL & for women's football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back