Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure mate. My guess is footy just isn’t a high priority for most young men anymore.
You often find too that when they age out of Colts they tend to give up footy, get a job where they're busy, get a new missus, trying to buy a house etc.
Employers tend to crack the shits bigtime with employees playing footy and getting injuries these days as well.
It's probably a bit different in the country areas as the clubs tend to be such a huge part of the social fabric of the town and the incentive to stay on and take the step up is greater.
An example: When Hobart's Colts team won the flag in 2017, most of those players aged out following the grand final.
Having won the flag they'd set out to achieve together as a group, more than two thirds of them simply quit playing footy altogether to persue other things in life. Off the top of my head only about five made the step up and played senior football in the years after that.

Senior club in SFL U19s, junior club in STJFL U18s.
Interesting that. I mean all for these kids playing footy if they’ve got the numbers 100% but that STJFL U18s comp has been run as a quasi TSL under 18s comp for the last 3 years. Be interesting to see how they go, no issues personally with that going ahead though

What’s happening at Glenorchy u18s combining with Lindisfarne due to poor numbers, poor numbers for mens senior team even worse numbers for senior woman’s team, with an sos going out to dodges girls, seem everything the director of football touches out there turns to sh*t, I have heard it’s his way or no way.

Has nothing to do with the director of football and more to do with the mess the ex coach left the place in regarding the mens.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Keep hearing brighton have 30 plus colts players as stated above but aren't they struggling for senior players? Won't they have to pick them first? Seems a little mess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has nothing to do with the director of football and more to do with the mess the ex coach left the place in regarding the mens.

And the woman’s? Rumour is he wanted the undefeated and dual premiership coach and his assistant out the door?

And the woman’s? Rumour is he wanted the undefeated and dual premiership coach and his assistant out the door?

Not too sure regarding the women sorry, from
what I did hear the post the former coach put on Facebook announcing his resignation was the first Pete and the pies board had heard of it, however as I said I don’t really know all the details regarding that situation

It is sad however from what I have been informed it is completely the director of football issue, PK can’t be blamed as several young players have followed him to Brighton, you have to also remember Barwick was assistant coach last season, he was also coach of the woman’s team in 2019 which saw a mass exodus to Claremont with players at end of season, because of his favouritism style, board is run by blind, or the inept and unfortunately this once great club is now fledgling.

I have a family member who plays in the men’s team, the young blokes who have gone with him are the ones who he has coached for the last 3 years in 16s/18s. The bulk of the senior list were leaving if he was reappointed coach, and if you were to ask the likes of Mott/Bowden/Duffy/Grace etc what was one of the main factors they left they would say the coach. Regarding the women’s program in 2019 a lot of the ones who left were of that age where it looked like they were ready to drop down a level, now I’m not saying he wasn’t the reason that group of women left but from what I’m hearing he’s actually trying to get the club back up and running again

He was certainly the major reason the girls left for Claremont, I was also informed he tried to influence last years coach as to where the Barwick girls were to be positioned game day, the coach however refused to be influenced by him, in doing this, put a target on his back, which is unfortunate as his record with woman’s football is extraordinary ? Webster I believe

Hahahaha!!!

For a newbie you didn't waste much time on your crusade!!!

Sounds like you were the one who left.

'Webster I believe' !! Who are you kidding?

Not sure you are lucid? But your assumptions are incorrect, I guess you are just a troll for anyone with a differing opinion to yourself!

What opinion did I offer?

Just noted it was 'interesting' how a newbie just goes straight on an attack over somethings at Glenorchy which he/she is VERY interested in. One person, Barwick, being your centre of attention. Thats ok, go for it.

Then just off handedly mentions the womens coach as 'Webster I believe'!!

How could you know all the goings on you talk about then fain a sort of knowledge about the coach who left!

Surely you do know him? Don't you?

Well regardless of opinions, it does seem to be that something isn't right there... A person I know has said that they are struggling to attract players still and might not have players. Such a shame if true. And hopefully not.

Lindisfarne looking like they can take the jump back to the top of the sfl ladder too. They've got some great pick-ups and I've seen them training. Looking very fit.

Heard the TSL is looking to start end of march and add more byes in during the season. This is to allow catch up games if required due to CV related postponements.

Interesting if they can make it work given the lack of ovals around!

Heard the TSL is looking to start end of march and add more byes in during the season. This is to allow catch up games if required due to CV related postponements.

Interesting if they can make it work given the lack of ovals around!

North Hobart, Kingston, Lauderdale, Launceston, North Launceston don't have cricket pitches, so could start anytime I'd recon. Glenorchy has cricket finishes at the end of March, so too Bellerive I'd guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back