Player Watch #SP300 (Scott Pendlebury Appreciation Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Two players have come before him.

Their 300th game:

Gordon Coventry: Geelong 13.16.94 def Collingwood 10.11.71
Tony Shaw: North Melbourne 17.19.121 def Collingwood 13.10.88

Looks like Collingwood has an ever bigger hoodoo to break than Geelong do.

Predicted scoreline: Geelong 21.22.148 def Collingwood 15.9.99

Two players have come before him.

Their 300th game:

Gordon Coventry: Geelong 13.16.94 def Collingwood 10.11.71
Tony Shaw: North Melbourne 17.19.121 def Collingwood 13.10.88

Looks like Collingwood has an ever bigger hoodoo to break than Geelong do.

Predicted scoreline: Geelong 21.22.148 def Collingwood 15.9.99
Ahhh yes, I bet this one is keeping the players awake at night!

Only including games of football he had over 50% playing time, Scott Pendlebury since 2009 has only had under 20 disposals on 8 occasions.
These were his numbers on those occasions.

19 disposals, x2.
18 disposals, x1.
17 disposals, x2.
16 disposals, x1.
15 disposals, x1.
13 disposals, x1.

7 of those 8 games he still had over 15 disposals.

Probably the most untaggable player ever.

Fantastic player who has produced year in year out. One of those players that when we play the Pies and he gets the ball I start looking for the guy he is going to pass the ball too cos we aren't getting it off him.

A credit to his club, although he did used to live near me and the guy has awful awful fashion sense.

Scott Pendlebury will play his 300th AFL game in Friday night's Qualifying Final against Geelong, becoming the 89th player in VFL/AFL history to reach this illustrious milestone, and just the third Collingwood player to do so as well. One would think he will easily pass Gordon Coventry (306 games) and Tony Shaw (313 games) in his trademark "slow-motion" gait to becoming Collingwood's all-time games record holder in 2020, and when it's all said and done, may go down as Collingwood's greatest player, too.

This week's game will also be his 129th game as Collingwood captain, putting him third behind Syd Coventry (153 games) and his current coach and former teammate Nathan Buckley (161 games) in the captaincy stakes at the Pies.

6x All-Australian, 5x B&F (3x runner-up, too), Norm Smith Medalist, Premiership player. 11 straight seasons of 25+ disposals per game, 11 straight seasons of 13+ Brownlow votes (one of the greatest to never win the medal). His accolades, numbers and achievements speak for themselves.

Balanced, skillful, clever, efficient, unhurried, calm. A peerlessly fair and honest player, and as great a leader as you will find in the AFL. His preparation is second to none, and he's truly gotten the absolute most out of himself over the journey, after coming in as somewhat of a "project" player, converting from basketball at a late stage. He's epitomised the modern professional footballer, almost boring people with his consistency of quality and lack of fuss or controversy, on and off the field.

Don't give me "Collingwood board!" with this thread, either. Pendlebury's respect and admiration as a player goes way beyond his club, and he deserves any and all plaudits that come his way. He really is hard to dislike, even for the opposition.

Get around him, let's hear it for the boy, and dip your lid to one of the absolute best of his era and an all-time great of the game here.

The Berry is a Jet. He carries himself with class both on and off the field.

Absolutely marvelous player. Has been a gun for so long, and seems like the type of player that, if he can keep his body right, could play on until 35/36 as a solid contributor in a premiership challenger.

Love Pendy!

Absolute gentlemen, all class and an awesome personality.

Legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best game I ever saw him play was in Round 1, 2012. Hawthorn were easily the better side but we were in awe at the guy. He sprung a Collingwood player with every touch it was actually laughable. When a great player gets to the absolute pinnacle and has total control it is really something.
I rate that as his best game as well. He was the only reason we were anywhere near it all night.

What was laughable was he didn't even get a single Brownlow vote - one of the bigger jokes I've seen.

One of my favourite Supercoach players, first picked nearly every year.

Absolute gun and probably the best player this century to not win a Brownlow.

As highly as Pendlebury is, I truely feel he is still underrated. The problem is that he just seems the professional in almost every way that you almost need something wrong with you to be thought of and remembered to the level Pendlebury deserves.

As highly as Pendlebury is, I truely feel he is still underrated. The problem is that he just seems the professional in almost every way that you almost need something wrong with you to be thought of and remembered to the level Pendlebury deserves.
It’s said by a lot of Pies supporters, his consistency is actually a downfall for him and makes him underrated. You don’t see form slumps so his best isn’t appreciated as much as others.

Not sure about the "greatest Collingwood player ever" a few years ago people were arguing over he or Swan as being better.

With that said - star and all the best to the bloke.

I love Swanny but I just don't see how it is even close. As awesome as some of the qualities Swan possessed were, he also used to regularly kick 10 metre grubbers straight into the turf and we're trying to compare him to one of the most skillful players of the generation. Pendles is the far more elite talent, and he has still nearly matched Swan in many of Swan's other attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back