Player Watch #SP300 (Scott Pendlebury Appreciation Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes a champ and the totally underrated thing about him is that he makes the players around him better. Sometimes to the detriment of the team. My favorite of all time and clearly the best i have seen for the Pies.
He was the 2nd best player in the league behind Ablett for 4 or 5 years. In the history of football thats not too bad..

Not enough superlatives to describe the player and the man.

Lid is dipped and I hope the Pies can get up for him on Friday and have a strong finals series.

Congrats to Scott Pendlebury, true champion of the game on and off the field.

Good player.

Bit of a shame him having a tendency to take some flops over the journey.
Bit more noticeable this year - strange how Eddie hasn't called him out on it like he did Goodes. But anyway...

Like Sam Mitchell, classic example of "slow bloke whose poise and decision-making mean he's 100x more effective than a quick bloke". His ball use this year has continued at an extraordinary level. Got plenty more footy in him.

There's an adulation over Daicos that the other two don't get. Could stamp games with his brilliance but wasn't as dependable as the other two. Many would agree with you but I have him on the next level down. And yes I was at Vic Park when he kicked 9...
Some people forget that Daicos was a B&F midifielder and that was after a knee reco before he was moved back to the forward line and kicked 97 goals in 1990. It's true that Daicos was not as consistent as Buckley or Pendlebury but he played a lot of his footy on a half forward flank which was known as starvation corner. When he played in the centre he was very consistent. The fact is Daicos was too good to just be a midfielder. Mathews said early in 1990 that had he realised just how good he was as a goal kicker he would never had played him on the ball.

Anyway, on Pendlebury, I have him at no 2 behind Daicos and ahead of Buckley, at least since Len Thompson who might have been ahead of all of them.

Some people forget that Daicos was a B&F midifielder and that was after a knee reco before he was moved back to the forward line and kicked 97 goals in 1990. It's true that Daicos was not as consistent as Buckley or Pendlebury but he played a lot of his footy on a half forward flank which was known as starvation corner. When he played in the centre he was very consistent. The fact is Daicos was too good to just be a midfielder. Mathews said early in 1990 that had he realised just how good he was as a goal kicker he would never had played him on the ball.

Anyway, on Pendlebury, I have him at no 2 behind Daicos and ahead of Buckley, at least since Len Thompson who might have been ahead of all of them.

I remember him starting out as a mid and running around in the Commodore Cup (Reserves) on a Sunday and Lou Richards saying "If this kid doesn't win a Brownlow I'll eat my hat".

These were his numbers in finals, some of them as a midfielder:

YearRoundDispGls
1980EF180
1980SF152
1980PF161
1980GF130
1981QF174
1981SF183
1981PF144
1981GF181
1984EF131
1984SF207
1984PF60
1988QF342
1988SF220
1989EF181
1990QF184
1990QFR144
1990SF183
1990GF82
1992EF110

Respectable numbers, but I felt Daicos was more stoppable than a Buckley or Pendlebury if it was important. Anyway I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, and it's not an opinion I'd take to the bank over those who saw a lot more of Daicos than I did.

Daicos kicked 76 goals as a 19-20 year old in 1981, while Lethal was still playing. How could he not know how good he was as a goalkicker?

Two players have come before him.

Their 300th game:

Gordon Coventry: Geelong 13.16.94 def Collingwood 10.11.71
Tony Shaw: North Melbourne 17.19.121 def Collingwood 13.10.88

Looks like Collingwood has an ever bigger hoodoo to break than Geelong do.

Predicted scoreline: Geelong 21.22.148 def Collingwood 15.9.99
Much prefer Pendles 100th game against Geelong in the 2010 prelim as an indicator of his milestone games in finals..

Class player and I believe a great captain and a fine person.

Dacos, Pendles, and Buckley the best of the Pies in my mind.

Wish him well on his 300th, and an injury free finals campaign.

There's an adulation over Daicos that the other two don't get. Could stamp games with his brilliance but wasn't as dependable as the other two. Many would agree with you but I have him on the next level down. And yes I was at Vic Park when he kicked 9...

Were you there when he kicked 97 in a season my old friend. The only non full forward to kick a tally that high. He also had seasons of 76,75, 58 and 52. Unbelievable. The 58 was playing midfield

Daicos kicked 76 goals as a 19-20 year old in 1981, while Lethal was still playing. How could he not know how good he was as a goalkicker?
Good question. Off the Pendles topic I guess but for what it's worth Mathews has told Daicos when he was suffering from stress fractures in his feet and after a knee injury that footy had passed him by. He missed a lot of footy between 1985 and 1987. He then came back to footy and won the Copeland in 1988 as a centreman before being moved forward early in 1990. Mathews never played him in the midfield form there.

In his prime used to just take all day and cruise through traffic without being touched and just set up play perfectly, always hitting a target and that target being the smartest/best target to hit in any one situation. Very little candy selling, more a telepathic kind of evasion, as in reading what a player/s is going to do and going off that. Plus he once bounced a football off a pidgeon. Very unique player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendlebury has over the past decade earned the right to be regarded as a Collingwood great - most definitely in the top ten magpies ever for me and in the top 3 (along with Buckley and Daicos) I've seen.

Einstein's theory of relativity posits that time and space is dilated by immense velocity. Pendlebury has seemingly confounded that.

Averaged 25+ disposals in 2009 and 2010 too.

Has had a Champion Data Ranking Score average of a 100+ in every season from 2008-present as well (12th straight season).

Basically hasn't dipped below elite status since he turned 20. Insane longevity for such a high standard.

Ablett jr
Buddy

These are the players i rate ahead of Pendles in the era following the greatness of Carey, Hird, Bucks, Voss.

Ridiculously good player and i'd be sick of seeing him carve us apart if it wasn't so sublime to watch.

That he hasn't won a brownlow is typical of how stupid the AFL is these days
Sublimely skilled, an amazing leader on and off the ground (met him once handing kit kats out at work at 6am on a friday...poor guy, how he got roped into that), and a game winner.

Would love to see him win another flag and also get a Charlie too.

How many more games does he have left in him I wonder?

Will he get to 350? More?

He’ll fall just short of 400. 370s IMO

Reckon he'll pass Bucks for most games as Pies Captain? After the prelim, he'll need another 32 games as skipper to take that record. I reckon it would be a fitting addition to his list of accolades, and a glowing endorsement that it has come under Bucks' coaching, too.

Reckon he'll pass Bucks for most games as Pies Captain? After the prelim, he'll need another 32 games as skipper to take that record. I reckon it would be a fitting addition to his list of accolades, and a glowing endorsement that it has come under Bucks' coaching, too.
He spoke recently around wanting to play under another captain, similar to what he did with Maxwell. Selfless of him, but that is standard of Pendles.

I love Swanny but I just don't see how it is even close. As awesome as some of the qualities Swan possessed were, he also used to regularly kick 10 metre grubbers straight into the turf and we're trying to compare him to one of the most skillful players of the generation. Pendles is the far more elite talent, and he has still nearly matched Swan in many of Swan's other attributes.

There was a poll around 2016-2017 and It was around 60% Pendlebury and 40% Swan IRRC. FWIW I voted Pendles back then, so obviously still think Pendles has been better, but it's not egregious to compare the two. Swan has a Brownlow, 5x AA's and 3x BnFs compared to Pendles 6x AA and 5x BnFs.

Anyway probably not the most appropriate place to have the discussion. I really like Pendles, probably my "favorite" Collingwood player ever.

Bumping this thread for the simple (off season) observation that, all being well, Pendles will play his 200th game at the MCG against Carlton in Round 9.

This will equal the record held by Kevin Bartlett not just for the MCG but for any player at any one ground.

He would then break the record two weeks later against West Coast.

I seriously think that he should get a statue at the MCG in the future.

Bumping this thread for the simple (off season) observation that, all being well, Pendles will play his 200th game at the MCG against Carlton in Round 9.

This will equal the record held by Kevin Bartlett not just for the MCG but for any player at any one ground.

He would then break the record two weeks later against West Coast.

I seriously think that he should get a statue at the MCG in the future.
I hope the statue features the dreadlocks.

Jokes aside, he’s a wonderful player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back