FTA-TV Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Remove this Banner Ad

One episode left in Season 2.
Been a major disappointment (season 2). Toned down the cussing. Actors suddenly more wooden. The script weaker. Less ground-breaking. The story deviating from the historical record. More like Days of Our Lives with swords. There were great scenes here and there, or a good episode here and there.

Season 1 was so majestic.

Hopefully season 3 lifts its game

One episode left in Season 2.
Been a major disappointment (season 2). Toned down the cussing. Actors suddenly more wooden. The script weaker. Less ground-breaking. The story deviating from the historical record. More like Days of Our Lives with swords. There were great scenes here and there, or a good episode here and there.

Season 1 was so majestic.

Hopefully season 3 lifts its game
Season 2 was merely a placeholder while the producers waited to see if Andy Whitfield would beat his cancer. Sadly he didn't, so season 3 saw a brand new Spartacus.

I have Gods of the Arena too (and will watch that after finishing S3), it is a prequel.

Season 1 was just so special. Seems to me the Kiwis, unbridled by American producers or whatever, created a real gem, no holds barred, ribald and daring, groundbreaking. When Blood and Sand became so immensely popular, it would seem the American producers started taking control of it, and largely eviscerated most of what made S1 so special. Season 2 was still good, just not as brilliant and unique and pure. A lot of great scenes, memorable things in S2, but it also was found lacking (wooden acting, neutered a bit, etc), and veering away from historical record to be more soap-opera-ish. Sadly, the new Spartacus also lacked the chutzpah that Whitfield had. He was so damn good. A sad loss to be sure. Only watched ep1 of S3 so far, gotta crash soon, but the quality has lifted for sure.

I rate Season 1 as arguably one of the greatest seasons of television ever made. Haven't watched every known great TV show ever, but it certainly stands among them. I would also rate Season 2 of Goliath as one of the best ever seasons. Probably Season 4 or 5 of Breaking Bad up there as well. But there are plenty other great shows like Sopranos etc etc which had great seasons that would stand among them in the Pantheon of great Television.

I have Gods of the Arena too (and will watch that after finishing S3), it is a prequel.

Season 1 was just so special. Seems to me the Kiwis, unbridled by American producers or whatever, created a real gem, no holds barred, ribald and daring, groundbreaking. When Blood and Sand became so immensely popular, it would seem the American producers started taking control of it, and largely eviscerated most of what made S1 so special. Season 2 was still good, just not as brilliant and unique and pure. A lot of great scenes, memorable things in S2, but it also was found lacking (wooden acting, neutered a bit, etc), and veering away from historical record to be more soap-opera-ish. Sadly, the new Spartacus also lacked the chutzpah that Whitfield had. He was so damn good. A sad loss to be sure. Only watched ep1 of S3 so far, gotta crash soon, but the quality has lifted for sure.

I rate Season 1 as arguably one of the greatest seasons of television ever made. Haven't watched every known great TV show ever, but it certainly stands among them. I would also rate Season 2 of Goliath as one of the best ever seasons. Probably Season 4 or 5 of Breaking Bad up there as well. But there are plenty other great shows like Sopranos etc etc which had great seasons that would stand among them in the Pantheon of great Television.

Mate, keep in mind the star of the show was dying from cancer - I think it's fair to assume that flattened things out a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The battle scenes toward the end of S2, were really good, but lifted even more in the opening of S3. That part of the American production probably the cause of the lift in the general realism of war and bloodshed, enormity of battle scenes, CGI and all that.
I really liked S3. Marcus Crassus was a great addition and the battles were interesting. Season 2 is the only weak one of the four.

Finished S3 (war of the damned).

Brilliant season. And I gotta give credit to Liam McKintyre. He really stood out in S3 as a ferocious fearsome warrior, probably unlike what Andy Whitfield could portray. Season 3 in particular which involved a ton of large scale open field battles as well as gritty guerrilla battles. McIntyre certainly stood physically and projected with facial ferocity as well as believability in swordsmanship. Lacks the charisma of Whitfield in S1 but I guess you could say there really were two different Spartacuses....the one who was beaten into slavery and had to claw in himself for purpose....and the accomplished warrior taking the lives of thousands of Roman soldiers.

Anyway, sad it's all over. Going to get into Gods of the Arena soon. And then move on to other TV shows saved on my HDD....maybe Rome next, maybe Black Seas, dunno yet.

Brilliant season. And I gotta give credit to Liam McKintyre. He really stood out in S3 as a ferocious fearsome warrior, probably unlike what Andy Whitfield could portray. Season 3 in particular which involved a ton of large scale open field battles as well as gritty guerrilla battles. McIntyre certainly stood physically and projected with facial ferocity as well as believability in swordsmanship. Lacks the charisma of Whitfield in S1 but I guess you could say there really were two different Spartacuses....the one who was beaten into slavery and had to claw in himself for purpose....and the accomplished warrior taking the lives of thousands of Roman soldiers.

Anyway, sad it's all over. Going to get into Gods of the Arena soon. And then move on to other TV shows saved on my HDD....maybe Rome next, maybe Black Seas, dunno yet.

Well said

Athletic blokes do get you excited, this has surpassed Mike Glennon!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back