Spartan Race

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
So i did this for Tough Mudder thought i might do one for Spartan Race.

Did the 14km "Super" yesterday in Morrisons, Vic.

First things first, this (IMO) is the far superior OCR (yeh apparently this is thing now Obstacle Course Race) when compared to Tough Mudder, as a word of advice if you only want to do one next year make it this one. Better obstacles, more of them, better course overall and far more challenging. Anyway onto the good and the bad.

What i liked-
- Awesome obstacles that really had some thought, creativity and effort put into them, even something as simple as a carrying obstacle had been thought through and made fun and challenging.
- Limited entry field, this basically meant no queueing at obstacles and also gave you the chance to have a solid crack at a time, no one clogging up the course!!
- The burpees for not completing an obstacle, i was pretty stoked as i completed all obstacles and didn't have to, but it meant people didn't just bail out without trying.
- The overall set up, the last challenges being near the finish line/festival gave you a real kick in the last few kms, the rope climb and the monkey bars actually had a crowd gathered around it was awesome!!

What i didn't like-
- Not much, the whole thing was really awesome, perhaps the last obstacle being 30 burpees felt like a bit of a cop out when the rest were so good.

Didn't get any response last time, but if anyone has any thoughts etc, put em here!!

Wouldn't mind doing one of these in future. What's your general fitness level like? Did you train specifically for this or was your regular training enough to get you through?

The variation between elite vs dead last is 5 hours (the 1st place getter did the 14km in 1hr 18min last came in at 6hrs 7mins) so it really all depends on how you want to go. I didn't do any specific spartan training as i have pretty good all around fitness but if you sign up they send you weekly emails with a WOW (workout of the week) which is geared around the Spartan race. I would say if you want to go sub 2 hrs you would need significant training on spartan if you want sub 3 hrs very good all around fitness will do and anything over 4 hrs will really be sedentary on.

It's an awesome event though and i will be doing more and probably training specifically for my next one.

Its not really spartan unless you murder some children, then bang all the other dudes and recite poetry.

Had my first attempt on Saturday, Did the 7km sprint, (had a couple of girls from work as well) enjoyed it. The waiting around for the big rope tower climb thing sucked, stood around cold for about 10mins, and that shock to the system going through the last river run (over/under) holy bejeezus.

Had my first attempt on Saturday, Did the 7km sprint, (had a couple of girls from work as well) enjoyed it. The waiting around for the big rope tower climb thing sucked, stood around cold for about 10mins, and that shock to the system going through the last river run (over/under) holy bejeezus.

Yeh, that was poor. Given they cap the field it was extremely disappointing, having said that ive never seen it at any other events they have done in Vic or interstate.

Yeh, that was poor. Given they cap the field it was extremely disappointing, having said that ive never seen it at any other events they have done in Vic or interstate.
Yeh thought the obstacle itself was fine, but potentially not big enough maybe so more people could go through, there was a couple of asian girls who took around 5 minutes to get halfway up, didnt help, good on them for having a go, but when your dripping wet and its 5 degrees not fun lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back