Roast Speeding Fines And Cost Of

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
For those who are visiting or those who live here and don't really know. Here is the page for the SA Gov Fines Unit. In any fine please add $60 for a Victim of Crimes Levy. Yes you are the victim of the Government robbing you ;)

And yes I am also aware if you don't speed you don't pay.
( the second fee is for Road Trains/Trucks)

Offence Legislation Expiation fee* $ Demerit points
by less than 10km/h
$166 $440 2 demerit

by 10km/h or more but less than 20km/h
$363 $551 3 demerit

by 20km/h or more but less than 30km/h
$738 $848 5 demerit

by 30km/h or more but less than 45km/h
$881 $992 7 demerit

by 45km/h or more
This offence will also incur automatic loss of licence for six months. Police may also wheel clamp or impound an offender's vehicle.

Had one in the $363 range a couple of weeks ago, first in 7 years. On a road that should still be 80, but was dropped to 60 a couple of years back because there are 4 houses on one side of the road (2 lanes either side, and no other houses besides these 4 in a small patch). Ah well, police officer was nice about it and paid the fine as soon as I could.

I copped one of these a while ago

$738 $848 5 demerit

Devastating!

Was on Anzac Highway (60km/hr) and it changed to 25km/hr due to road works. I got clocked at 48km/hr at the start of the roadworks as I was slowing down.

Ouch.

I have always been of the opinion if you get caught suck it up and pay. But the management of where and when cameras are placed must surely be questioned. The 2 times in the last 4 years I have been done have both been in the same spot ( so my stupidity) but on a downward slope in a 50 zone. You spend more time looking at your speedo than the road. The slope of the road going up means you overdrive the engine only to have to check it once on the down.

Yes in the Drugs Are Bad Mackay? case we have had constant warnings over roadworks and watching out for those who work there but surely the danger is for those speeders who are doing above 60km in those situations.

Yeah, I did wrong no doubt but you're right that the opportunistic nature of camera placement grates.

There was the sign for 25km/hr then further up the road the actual roadworks began. It was in that part in between that I got snapped. The cynic in me wonders if they specifically make that distance as large as possible... ostensibly to keep the workers safe but perhaps with an ulterior motive

ACT has very good guidelines about where they are and are not allowed to put the speed cameras.

Locations must be:
  • At least 200m from a change of speed limit (unless near a school or work site).
  • Clear of merging lanes, changes of road alignment or width.
  • Not cause any obstruction or line-of-sight issues to traffic flow.
Most speed cameras can be seen well before you get to them. It's not hard to spot the big white vans, with the sign up on the roof.

$738 $848 5 demerit

Devastating!

Was on Anzac Highway (60km/hr) and it changed to 25km/hr due to road works. I got clocked at 48km/hr at the start of the roadworks as I was slowing down.

The word extortion comes to mind.

Ouch.

I have always been of the opinion if you get caught suck it up and pay. But the management of where and when cameras are placed must surely be questioned. The 2 times in the last 4 years I have been done have both been in the same spot ( so my stupidity) but on a downward slope in a 50 zone. You spend more time looking at your speedo than the road. The slope of the road going up means you overdrive the engine only to have to check it once on the down.

Yes in the Drugs Are Bad Mackay? case we have had constant warnings over roadworks and watching out for those who work there but surely the danger is for those speeders who are doing above 60km in those situations.

There used to be an unwritten rule about El Polizia not putting cameras within 100m of a downslope, but that's gone the way of the dodo in the last few years.

ACT has very good guidelines about where they are and are not allowed to put the speed cameras.

Locations must be:
  • At least 200m from a change of speed limit (unless near a school or work site).
  • Clear of merging lanes, changes of road alignment or width.
  • Not cause any obstruction or line-of-sight issues to traffic flow.
Most speed cameras can be seen well before you get to them. It's not hard to spot the big white vans, with the sign up on the roof.

Big white vans with signs? JFC, we get unmarked cars and no signs before or after (but there is a website where you can check where camreas will be for the day)

Big white vans with signs? JFC, we get unmarked cars and no signs before or after (but there is a website where you can check where camreas will be for the day)
Signs are mounted on the roof of the vans.

One of the things I like about Canberra... the speed camera vans are very conspicuous. If you get caught, you only have yourself to blame.

$738 $848 5 demerit

Devastating!

woah!

in 2002, i got done 33km over the limit (123 in a 90 - my own fault, was stupid), was 6 demerits and a $330 fine

Just copped a fine for $423 for doing 60 in a 50. OK if you go over you're fair game, but that is ridiculous. To think if it was 1km slower it would have been $200 less. Who comes up with this crap? This state, highest utility prices, highest fines in the country and probably the bloody world for all I know, and still a financial s**t pit. Scum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our fines in South Australia are totally ridiculous. I guess we're "lucky" they let people go on to a payment plan if they don't have the money. :rolleyes:

in Germany a mate of mine blew through an 80 zone at 140 on the autobahn and it only cost him 50 Euros.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back