Movie Spider-Man: Far from Home

Jake Gyllenhaal was good but that's about it.

Hard to follow up Endgame and wasn't expecting much, but felt like a massive cash grab by Sony.

Surprised reviews have been praising it.

Last edited:
Jake Gyllenhaal was good but that's about it.

Hard to follow up Endgame and wasn't expecting much, but felt like a massive cash grab by Sony.

Surprised reviews have been praising it.
Why did it feel like a cash grab by Sony?
All of these movies are there to make money.
Best thing Sony has done with Spider-Man is let him be part of MCU.

It's never going to be End Game, we needed something smaller scale after that though.

It's never going to be End Game, we needed something smaller scale after that though.

Could substitute a lot of stuff that happened in Homecoming, it was almost the same movie, just on a different continent.

Without going into spoilers, felt they wasted a lot of opportunities with the post End Game era, and the stuff they did use was flippant and clunky.

I get these movies are formulaic and cookie cutter, I've still enjoyed them all immensely.

Understand this won't be a popular opinion, but even by MCU standards this felt phoned in and forgettable.

Ok, so it’s actually really good. Thoroughly enjoyable movie and the CGI is phenomenal.

Loved the MCU take on Mysterio. Very cool.

Phase 4 can’t come quick enough.

Really enjoyed that.
Was intrigued by the fact there was no Marvel or Disney clip at the beginning whatsoever, it was all Sony.

Those post credits! The first one is particularly interesting. And so ******* glad they got JK Simmons back.

Also thought the Berlin illusion sequence was one of my facourite scenes in a Marvel movie.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah its similar to the 2 Antman films that came out after Avengers 2 and 3. You need something far less dark after that.

Yeah its similar to the 2 Antman films that came out after Avengers 2 and 3. You need something far less dark after that.

Nothing to do whether it was dark or not, just felt the movie in its own right, even just using Homecoming as the yardstick was nowhere near as good in a lot of various factors.

Lot of redeemable features in the film but could have been better IMO.

Glad that people are enjoying it and it's rated well.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Saw this yesterday, enjoyable movie and a predictable and nice change of pace from the heaviness of Endgame.

I wouldn’t put it in my list of great MCU films, more so in the “nice to see it once” category. Had some standout moments but also felt the pacing was off in the first 45 minutes or so.

Gyllenhaal was a very good choice, he did really well with this role. Some initial thoughts:

- excellent mid credits scene. All this time I was wondering when was the framing coming? That’s classic Mysterio, does it so often to Spider-Man. I had a feeling he was cooking something during that final battle.

- great to see J.K. Simmons. Iconic role. Even seeing him as Gordon in Justice League, all I could keep picturing was him in the Toby Maguire films.

- they mentioned Thor was off world, Danvers unavailable. But where was Scarlett Witch? Falcon? T’Challa? etc etc. No mention of them which I found odd.

- I liked the references to the “blip”. Good explanation. However I may have missed something, but what’s the deal with this Brad guy? If he’s 21, and survived the snap initially, why is he still in the same class as the 16 year olds?

- good little callbacks of the first Iron Man (still amongst my favourites of the MCU). Back in Black, the scientist from Stark Industries, the way Parker was designing his suit etc.

- post credits scene, can only imagine this in relation to SWORD.

Anyway, a good solid 7/10 for me.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Saw this yesterday, enjoyable movie and a predictable and nice change of pace from the heaviness of Endgame.

I wouldn’t put it in my list of great MCU films, more so in the “nice to see it once” category. Had some standout moments but also felt the pacing was off in the first 45 minutes or so.

Gyllenhaal was a very good choice, he did really well with this role. Some initial thoughts:

- excellent mid credits scene. All this time I was wondering when was the framing coming? That’s classic Mysterio, does it so often to Spider-Man. I had a feeling he was cooking something during that final battle.

- great to see J.K. Simmons. Iconic role. Even seeing him as Gordon in Justice League, all I could keep picturing was him in the Toby Maguire films.

- they mentioned Thor was off world, Danvers unavailable. But where was Scarlett Witch? Falcon? T’Challa? etc etc. No mention of them which I found odd.

- I liked the references to the “blip”. Good explanation. However I may have missed something, but what’s the deal with this Brad guy? If he’s 21, and survived the snap initially, why is he still in the same class as the 16 year olds?

- good little callbacks of the first Iron Man (still amongst my favourites of the MCU). Back in Black, the scientist from Stark Industries, the way Parker was designing his suit etc.

The way I interpreted it was Brad was 11 at the time of the snap and then aged 5 years, then was the same age as the rest of the class when they were blipped back.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The way I interpreted it was Brad was 11 at the time of the snap and then aged 5 years, then was the same age as the rest of the class when they were blipped back.

I knew I’d missed something! Thanks for clearing that up, for some reason I thought I heard them say he was 21? My mistake.

I knew I’d missed something! Thanks for clearing that up, for some reason I thought I heard them say he was 21? My mistake.
that was when Flash was drinking champers on the plane and being his usually snarky self. MJ dobbed him in to the flight attendant with he's technically 21 but he slipped so he's 16 [/Quote]

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
that was when Flash was drinking champers on the plane and being his usually snarky self. MJ dobbed him in to the flight attendant with he's technically 21 but he slipped so he's 16
[/QUOTE]

Yes I 100% recall that now, makes perfect sense. For some reason my wires were crossed and I mistook that as a reference to Brad (who they also showed earlier in the movie with a before/after photo). Anyway, all cleared up now, thanks again.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Does MCU own SWORD?

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
That was great fun - not in the Endgame/IW/Civil War/Winter Soldier god tier, but not too far off it.

Lots in common with Iron Man in that this is very clearly the jumping off point for a whole new story. Gyllenhaal a great pick as well.

- For a turn that was pretty well telegraphed, I thought Mysterio was done really well. Loved the motivation of the whole crew basically being Stark gophers upset with being s**t on.
- Berlin illusion scene was amazing.
- Loved the Iron Man callbacks.
- The High School stuff (which always feels like it has the potential to derail things) was really well done and had me chuckling quite a bit.
- JK doing J.Jonah as Alex-Jones-on-speed is going to be ******* amazing.
- Talos! So coupled with Maria Hill name-dropping Kree sleeper cells, we might be getting Secret Invasion after all?

Call me a sucker, but now officially keen for Phase 4. Just a shame the next release isn't until March!

Back