Home & Garden Spiders can get ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Wolf Spiders are something of a quiet achiever behind Funnel-web, Redback, and Whitetail, when it comes to bad bites.
Mouse spiders also deserve to be there, of spiders we have here. Very little is known about their venom, beyond that potentially it's as toxic as a funnel web's and that the few recorded bites from them that have occurred have responded to Sydney funnel web anti-venom. If that is the case though, we're talking very serious indeed.

But unlike the funnel web it's very reclusive and unlike the funnel web, is thought to 'dry bite' more often than not, so cases of serious envenomation are rare.

Quite beautiful colours really.

mouse spider.JPG

Mouse spiders also deserve to be there, of spiders we have here. Very little is known about their venom, beyond that potentially it's as toxic as a funnel web's and that the few recorded bites from them that have occurred have responded to Sydney funnel web anti-venom. If that is the case though, we're talking very serious indeed.

But unlike the funnel web it's very reclusive so it's very rare for anyone to get bitten.

View attachment 326310

* off, those things are terrifying, mate had one of them swimming in his pool once, extremely aggressive buggers. They are related to funnel-webs so thats enough for me!

**** off, those things are terrifying, mate had one of them swimming in his pool once, extremely aggressive buggers. They are related to funnel-webs so thats enough for me!
You sure it was a mouse spider? They're not really renowned as aggressive from what I can tell.

I've seen them when on hikes a few times. They seem to mostly hang out and not do much.

You sure it was a mouse spider? They're not really renowned as aggressive from what I can tell.

I've seen them when on hikes a few times. They seem to mostly hang out and not do much.

Well it was somewhat provoked by us trying to get it out of the pool, but it never considered running, it came for us.

Right, I'm laughing less tonight.

Went to get my mail out of our letterbox, and as I fished it out (two letters, ftr) what should I notice but a ******* redback clinging on to one of them. Definitely a female too, it was way too big to be a male.

Now I'm not afraid of spiders, but I dropped those letters like they were the hottest potato in existence, and then promptly squashed the arachnid for good measure. They're just bad news.
The wife pulled some catalogs out of the letterbox the other day, said they felt a bit squishy
15036702_10154007126846200_8344263442390778565_n.jpg

Mate put this on facebook. Says he seen it when they checked in to a hotel room. He is a computer wizard, but when questions say it isn't shopped, and I wouldn't think of him as a bullshit artist. I think I trust its legitimacy.

16194969_10210389745274786_8682226526628455382_n.jpg

Classic huntsman. They may not be that dangerous to humans, but boy they are scary lookin' *ers.

Apart from their size, it's the angle those front arms go at I reckon. Something about that right angle that makes them look menacing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But unlike the funnel web it's very reclusive and unlike the funnel web, is thought to 'dry bite' more often than not, so cases of serious envenomation are rare.

View attachment 326310
The Mouse Spider is an amazing looking spider. I've only seen an alive one once, when I was hiking one day on a coastal path near Victor Harbor, sth oz.

Spiders don't bother me in the slightest, I'm one to pop them outside.

Same with snakes, not fazed by them, although they can startle me still. Saw a huge red belly black the other day in a conservation park (Cox Scrub), it took off at 100 miles an hour. They're terrified of humans.

Last edited:
Yeah spiders themselves don't bother me, and I say that having being bitten by a huntsman (it damned well hurt, their fangs are big, no other ill effects though). Although having said that, I did drop my mail quicker than a hot potato when I took it out of the letterbox not that long ago and saw a big juicy redback on it; so I'm not the type to get afraid of them on sight, but by the same token I'm probably not too keen on handling them (daddy longlegs excepted) because I don't especially fancy getting bitten.

And especially not by something as dangerous as a redback - did I actually see someone here claim they're not dangerous? They sure as hell are; my grandfather spent a week in hospital after getting bitten by one while building a shed in his backyard. Was way before my time, but it was also after the anti-venom became available and he was administered it, but he was apparently quite ill nonetheless.

I do hate spider webs in the house though; they just look untidy and dirty. So I don't hesitate to clear them out if I find them; but that's bad news for the daddy longlegs that live in them. Huntsman don't seem to live in webs so they're good in that regard, but they're certainly big ugly things.

male redback's are less venomous, but they look different than your classic redback. same goes for a lot of spiders, male/females can look like completely different species.

smooshed a few white-tipped in the house here lately. find they're a good way to kick your habit of leaving clothes on the floor...

male redback's are less venomous, but they look different than your classic redback. same goes for a lot of spiders, male/females can look like completely different species.

smooshed a few white-tipped in the house here lately. find they're a good way to kick your habit of leaving clothes on the floor...
Male redbacks are often incapable of even biting humans properly. Fangs are too small.

I am also one not scared of spiders but do give the venomous ones due respect. Having lived in the country for quite a few years I am quite nervous around snakes though as they are well camflouged and move very quickly and all the ones I encountered there were highly venomous.

Mate put this on facebook. Says he seen it when they checked in to a hotel room. He is a computer wizard, but when questions say it isn't shopped, and I wouldn't think of him as a bullshit artist. I think I trust its legitimacy.

16194969_10210389745274786_8682226526628455382_n.jpg
Laos or Thailand?

I was walking some recycling to the recycling bin last night. I walked around the corner of the house and for no reason at all thought I should look up. Thank * I did! About a foot above me in between the wall and a tree branch was a big * off spider. Probably the size of a small hatchback (or really maybe the size of a squash ball) and just sitting there staring at me while constructing his web of death for the night.

I stopped dead, turned around and walked away quick smart. I dropped the box of stuff on the way back into the house, quickly informed my girlfriend about said campaigner and asked her to come with me to help rid the world of this menace. She came with me with a can of bug spray and we basically drowned that beast. Well, by 'we' I mean her while I watched on from about 10 metres away.

I swear I would have gone clinically insane had I walked into the partially built web and the spider decided to land on me! I mean it, I reckon I would have needed to be committed!

I have heaps of different species of spiders living at the front and backyard of my house. Some I've never seen before.

As a result, barely any flies or mosquitos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back