Home & Garden Spiders can get ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

I have heaps of different species of spiders living at the front and backyard of my house. Some I've never seen before.

As a result, barely any flies or mosquitos.
Yep, same here. I have four or five black spiders resident in the nooks and crannies of the fence on our balcony. Barely get flies, mozzies or ants and I suspect our little arachnid friends have a lot to do with it.

They're timid things too - if you approach within spitting distance or make any noises they scurry away as quick as a flash.

Classic huntsman. They may not be that dangerous to humans, but boy they are scary lookin' gooses.

Apart from their size, it's the angle those front arms go at I reckon. Something about that right angle that makes them look menacing.
They're also very, very fast. Coupled with their size, that's getting into ludicrous menacing territory.

Yep, same here. I have four or five black spiders resident in the nooks and crannies of the fence on our balcony. Barely get flies, mozzies or ants and I suspect our little arachnid friends have a lot to do with it.

They're timid things too - if you approach within spitting distance or make any noises they scurry away as quick as a flash.
I didn't ******* know this.

Leaving all the daddy long legs in my room. Have seen a substantial reduction in mosquitoes.

I didn't ******* know this.
Black house spiders are extremely unlikely to bite us and even if they do, it's unlikely to have much effect; quick sting and that's it. They're about as timid as spiders come, honestly. They are very effective pest controllers though; including keeping far more dangerous spiders like redbacks away.

Black house spiders are extremely unlikely to bite us and even if they do, it's unlikely to have much effect; quick sting and that's it. They're about as timid as spiders come, honestly. They are very effective pest controllers though; including keeping far more dangerous spiders like redbacks away.
Fear of spiders isn't rational - it's not a fear of being hurt by them but the fact they exist.

This summer have noticed a lot of orb looking spiders in the backyard.
Large spanning webs. Never seen anything like it at home. Not real fun when mowing the yard.

You sure it was a mouse spider? They're not really renowned as aggressive from what I can tell.

I've seen them when on hikes a few times. They seem to mostly hang out and not do much.
Ive seen quite a few of these over the years, the pictured one is the male and can be very aggressive, Most of the time I've seen them is after rain , apparently that's when they are on the hunt for a Female to mate with. They rare right up on their back legs as to say "**** off". The Female is all Black and about half as big again and just as vicious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a black house spider in the corner of my bedroom window for a few months now. Taken down a handful of white tails singlehandedly. Commands my utmost respect. For a spider, at least.

Had a black house spider in the corner of my bedroom window for a few months now. Taken down a handful of white tails singlehandedly. Commands my utmost respect. For a spider, at least.
That surprises me. I'd generally back a whitetail over a black; I guess if the whitetail is silly enough to get caught in the web though...

That surprises me. I'd generally back a whitetail over a black; I guess if the whitetail is silly enough to get caught in the web though...

Surprised me too, but if it happens again, I'll have to film it.

Surprised me too, but if it happens again, I'll have to film it.
Far from impossible though. I mean you would not back a daddy longlegs over a redback, or a whitetail, or a black, but inevitably they prevail somehow.

Far from impossible though. I mean you would not back a daddy longlegs over a redback, or a whitetail, or a black, but inevitably they prevail somehow.

There was a scientific study a while back that indicated the reason was the tensile strength of the Daddy Long Legs web was greater than the other spiders.

Can't remember where I saw it though.

There was a scientific study a while back that indicated the reason was the tensile strength of the Daddy Long Legs web was greater than the other spiders.

Can't remember where I saw it though.
That plays a part, but the length of their legs is key; means they can spin the web around their pray from a distance. Which is lucky, because brute strength wise they'd be no match for most spiders.

The fact they're able to defeat much more fearsome spiders is what led to the myth about them having the most toxic venom of all.

That plays a part, but the length of their legs is key; means they can spin the web around their pray from a distance. Which is lucky, because strength wise they'd be no match for most spiders.

The fact they're able to defeat much more fearsome spiders is what led to the myth about them having the most toxic venom of all came from.

Yeah, range is key too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back