Home & Garden Spiders can get ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in a relatively bushy area, so usually get at least a few huntsmans in the house over summer. This year, for whatever reason, we haven't had any. Turn of fortune, I thought..

Got home today a week long holiday, to find one of the campaigners in my bed.

Probably been suggested by someone already, but at the start of summer I sprayed Raid or Mortein surface spray on every window sill, every wall vent, and around my front and back doors. Since then, I haven't seen a single spider inside :thumbsu:. Will probably have to do it again in a few months - the can says it lasts 6 months.

No mozzies nor ants since I started leaving the daddy long legs alone in my room.

Lots of those amazing orb spiders around my place at the moment, I love watching them weave their webs each night :) There are a couple in my backyard and there were two high above the common driveway are well. I say 'were' because I heard my neighbours out there the other night and I thought they too were admiring the spiders and their webs but, alas no, next thing I hear the hissing sound of insect spray :straining: Killing a spider that ventures into your house is fair enough but these ones are quite harmless and were well out of the way of anyone :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My fam always insists to capture them and release them back outside if we find them inside.

I find a hard shoe and stop worrying about them.

Almost certainly NOT from a white-tail bite. White tails are not poisonous (well, not dangerous to humans) - neither do their bites necrotise. This has been thoroughly debunked by all researchers in the areas of toxicology.

Unfortunately, it became a bit of an urban myth headline about 15 years ago, and it has stayed in the consciousness ever since.

Here's the follow-up :https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/05/spider-bite-double-amputation-likely-to-be-mistaken-identity-says-arachnologist

PS: I'm a confirmed arachnophobe, and will run shrieking from a Huntsman, and refuse to re-enter the room until I see that f*cker dead. I'm not one of those 'Spider's are our friends' types. (I know they are mankind's friends - they're just not mine, ok?)

Almost certainly NOT from a white-tail bite. White tails are not poisonous (well, not dangerous to humans) - neither do their bites necrotise. This has been thoroughly debunked by all researchers in the areas of toxicology.

Unfortunately, it became a bit of an urban myth headline about 15 years ago, and it has stayed in the consciousness ever since.

Here's the follow-up :https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/05/spider-bite-double-amputation-likely-to-be-mistaken-identity-says-arachnologist

PS: I'm a confirmed arachnophobe, and will run shrieking from a Huntsman, and refuse to re-enter the room until I see that f*cker dead. I'm not one of those 'Spider's are our friends' types. (I know they are mankind's friends - they're just not mine, ok?)

d'ya know what, terrified of White-tails as I am I did actually know that their bites are not necrotic - interesting that the Age had a bet each-way in the article - and makes you wonder what actually caused this poor bloke to lose limbs! :huh:

p.s. thanks for link to the follow up article

Ive never been overly bothered by spiders.
Will swat them if they are actually on me or near my kid but otherwise I glass/card/outside them but when I sat down in shorts one day and got bitten on the leg by one of the nastiness looking spiders ive ever seen (size of a 50c piece, black, thick and really really ugly looking) I was worried.
Shouldn't have been as the bite was like a mild pinch from a young child and that was it.

99% spider bites > bee stings >>>>>>>>> wasp stings>>>>>>>>>>>>>bull ant bites

Cockroaches deserve a mention too, especially the big reddish-brown ones with wings. Disgusting.

Cockroaches are much worse than spiders. Can't stand the way they scuttle about and they turn up in cupboards where your food is too or behind things on your bench tops - revolting things!

Cockroaches are much worse than spiders. Can't stand the way they scuttle about and they turn up in cupboards where your food is too or behind things on your bench tops - revolting things!
Depends on the spider. I'd rather be infested with cockroaches than funnel-web spiders.

Had a ripper today. jumped in the shower, went to grab the bath sponge and saw a pair of black legs sticking out. Thought I might have still been pissed from the night before, but on closer inspection there was a white tail nestled pretty comfortably there. Got rid of the sponge pretty quickly

I was lucky enough (if you call it that) to see a couple katipo spiders while I was in New Zealand. They're basically a slightly smaller version of our redback and the only seriously toxic insect or arachnid in NZ.

They're actually severely endangered and exceedingly rare to encounter, so from a distance I guess it was kind of cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back