Home & Garden Spiders can get ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

I found a black house spider inside two weeks ago.

Trapped it and relocated it to a strategic point outside on our balcony roof.

I returned one day later to check if it was still there. It sure was - it, and about eight dead blowflies wrapped up, sucked out and swinging in the breeze. It was a fly mortuary.

Well done little spider.

Yeah. Black House Spiders are nifty. I had one in my bedroom that used to take out most things. Blowflies, house flies. Seen it take down a number of White Tails too.

I found a black house spider inside two weeks ago.

Trapped it and relocated it to a strategic point outside on our balcony roof.

I returned one day later to check if it was still there. It sure was - it, and about eight dead blowflies wrapped up, sucked out and swinging in the breeze. It was a fly mortuary.

Well done little spider.

I might have to invest in some black house spiders. The combination of wet warm weather and a puppy that poos every five minutes, I have so many flies in my back yard.

I might've already said all this, but:

Yeah, black house spiders a grouse. I like feeding them. :D They also eat cockroaches and Cupboard Spiders, the latter of which are a similar shape to redbacks, but a bit smaller and don't have the stripe. Cupboard Spiders are usually found outside in upturned pots or other containers. They're generally not considered poisonous, but there have been reports of bites causing skin ulcerations.

https://australianmuseum.net.au/cupboard-spider

I once had a black house in my bathroom who laid a ton of eggs. I didn't mind having 2 or 3 webs in there, but I didn't want dozens and dozens, so I thought I'd be clever and move them all outside to a window sill. About a week later, I woke up to see a bird eating them all. So, they've gotta be in a spot where birds can't easily get to them. :straining::thumbsu:

Quite a creepy spider to look at though.
Definitely. Thankfully I don't do much domestic electrical work anymore, but working as an apprentice back in the day I'd see these all the times under houses. Absolutely frighten the beejesus out of you when you're crawling along in very tight areas and you look up and they're sitting there literally inches from your face.

Quite a creepy spider to look at though.

I always hate cleaning my gutters. Sticking my hand into the gutter, knowing house spiders are no doubt somewhere under the tin.

Yeah, having said all that, still be careful; I've never been bitten by a black house spider but apparently it can be very painful. They're venomous, not enough to be really dangerous to us, but quite painful nonetheless. They're a very timid spider though.

My one spider bite came from a huntsman; that definitely hurt, no after effects though. I suspect it only gave me a dry bite; I think the hurt more came from the fact their fangs are pretty freakin' huge.

Yeah, having said all that, still be careful; I've never been bitten by a black house spider but apparently it can be very painful. They're venomous, not enough to be really dangerous to us, but quite painful nonetheless. They're a very timid spider though.

I've read reports of nausea and high temperature but that's it. Yeah they will generally sit deep in the web in recesses most of the time, out of sight, but they can give you a start when they appear suddenly. Had a large one on the front porch for a while; it was chilling to watch when an insect got caught in its web.

They can also spread in large enough numbers to cause a pest problem. But for all that they're generally perceived as a "good" spider.

Still, I can handle snakes and spiders. What really gets me are centipedes. I swear I have a legitimate phobia of them... I see them all the time at work and freak out. This really didn't help:

Haha I don't like them either. Don't think we have any dangerous ones here, but they've killed people overseas. Never seen one inside a house, thankfully.

I've read reports of nausea and high temperature but that's it. Yeah they will generally sit deep in the web in recesses most of the time, out of sight, but they can give you a start when they appear suddenly. Had a large one on the front porch for a while; it was chilling to watch when an insect got caught in its web.

They can also spread in large enough numbers to cause a pest problem. But for all that they're generally perceived as a "good" spider.
Yep. They keep redbacks away and fly and mosquito numbers down while not really being dangerous to us; that's only a good thing.

Think I've said it before, but I was bitten by a white tail a few years back. That became infected and I had to go to the doctor to get it treated. Woke up in agony the morning I gave in to get it treated (thought it was a mozzie bite initially).

Similar. I got bitten. Was an itching burning sensation. Thought it was a mozzie bite. Woke up and had a bump on my arm. Over the next few days it ulcerated a little and got infected. Had to go to the doctors for it. Nasty little critters are white tails.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar. I got bitten. Was an itching burning sensation. Thought it was a mozzie bite. Woke up and had a bump on my arm. Over the next few days it ulcerated a little and got infected. Had to go to the doctors for it. Nasty little critters are white tails.
Yep, I let it go for a few days cos it was just swollen and red - like all my mosquito bites. I woke up on Boxing Day and I was in agony. Had to go to the doctors cos of this burning pain. The wound was black. Doctor had to dress it and I couldn't get it wet for a few days.

Man screaming at spider 'why don't you die?' triggers full police response

Police in Western Australia have confirmed they sent multiple officers to an emergency call that turned out to be a screaming man with a “serious fear” of spiders.

A concerned passerby was walking outside a house in suburban Perth when they heard a toddler screaming and a man repeatedly shouting “Why don’t you die?”

After they called triple zero, officers arrived to find a man “trying to kill a spider”, who apologised for having an extreme fear of the arachnid.

Understandable.

Think I've said it before, but I was bitten by a white tail a few years back. That became infected and I had to go to the doctor to get it treated. Woke up in agony the morning I gave in to get it treated (thought it was a mozzie bite initially).
Most likely was a mozzie bite.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ne...r/news-story/df89a116cb151e44cfeafdbc8f046986
White tails look nasty but are no more harmful than most other spiders (which is basically harmless).
The only two aussie spiders that will cause you grief are the funnel webs and the redback neither of which no one has killed anyone since the development of antivenom (and the last poor campaigner to die from a redback was in 1950 and took 8 days to die- so you will have time to get treated).

Spiders usually run like crazy from humans.
Its ******* wasps that I worry about.

Most likely was a mozzie bite.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ne...r/news-story/df89a116cb151e44cfeafdbc8f046986
White tails look nasty but are no more harmful than most other spiders (which is basically harmless).
The only two aussie spiders that will cause you grief are the funnel webs and the redback neither of which no one has killed anyone since the development of antivenom (and the last poor campaigner to die from a redback was in 1950 and took 8 days to die- so you will have time to get treated).

Spiders usually run like crazy from humans.
Its ******* wasps that I worry about.

Nope. Was a spider bite. Had 2 distinct fang marks in the middle. Whilst White Tails generally don't cause grief, their fangs have been found to carry bacteria which can lead to lesions, ulcers and infections, particularly to those with compromised immune systems.

Nope. Was a spider bite. Had 2 distinct fang marks in the middle. Whilst White Tails generally don't cause grief, their fangs have been found to carry bacteria which can lead to lesions, ulcers and infections, particularly to those with compromised immune systems.
Not that ive read.
Sauce?

Would I be right in saying a lot of men are irrationally scared of spiders and women are generally more laid back about them? Just going by the responses in here and my family and friends this seems to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, I wonder why this is the case :think:

Would I be right in saying a lot of men are irrationally scared of spiders and women are generally more laid back about them? Just going by the responses in here and my family and friends this seems to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My wife has a plastic cup and a old xmas card ready in the wardrobe ....she used to call me to get rid of them now she just does it herself

Define 'irrationally'.

My fear is perfectly justifiable and understandable. They're evil little f*ckers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back