Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
Spike Milligan has died and joined his mates in the land of Goon

In tragic news Milligan has died at his Sussex home, his agent says.

The last remaining Goon died of liver failure surrounded by his family.

Milligan had suffered ill health for some time and had been nursed by his third wife Shelagh in recent months.

Lets hope the Goon's live on........:(

Posted this before on the general forum. No harm in repeating it here I guess.

He was the genius of twentith century comedy.

Without him there would have been no Python, Not the Nine O'Clock News, Young Ones.

It all started with his wonderful skewed version of the world. He lived with a lot of personal tradgedy and I just hope now that he has found his other two 'goons' in Secombe and Sellars and that once again Neddy, Blubottle and Eccles are together.

The first man to go up Everest from the inside. :)

There all 'deaded' now.

Very very sad to hear of his passing.

Spike & his mates live on forever in our thoughts.

The train driver on the way to Perth this morning made an announcement about his passing, complete with impersonation. Truly they had a global impact on comedy and life.

I agree with Grendel....certainly set the scene for the great British comedy of the late 60's to early 80's.

RIP Spike

Down the stream the swans all glide;
It's quite the cheapest way to ride.
Their legs get wet,
Their tummies wetter:
I think after all
The bus is better.

Spike Milligan

:(

Spike Milligan and Douglas Adams in 12 months ??? What has happened to my childhood ???? :( :(

Sad Sad Satay Mat

Two of my favourites from his comic poems:

There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in.
But the the holes are small
That's why rain is thin.

Why is there no monument to porridge in this land,
If it's good enough to eat
It's good enough to stand.

And one more thoughtful one:

Yesterday, in the twilight gloom,
A butterfly flew in my room.
Oh what beauty.
Oh what grace.
Who need visitors from outer space.

Simple but beautiful.

Spike could make people laugh, or think, in so many ways.

For me he was one of the very few genius's of comedy in my lifetime, along with Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe and Peter Cook. They could each do, or say, things that were so 'off the wall' but you would still laugh at them days, weeks, years later.

There's story in the paper today about how Spike once walked into an Undertaker's shop (for no reason) lay on the counter, closed his eyes and shouted "Service!".

That's true comedy.

When you appreciate the 'conventional' behaviour expected in Britain, and Aus/NZ I suspect, in the 40's and 50's you can begin to understand just how amazing Spike's work at that time was. He gave the whole of society the chance to think differently.

Couldn't help but smile at a quote I heard last night when there was a mention of Spike's death on the news.

When asked once what he wanted as his final epitaph on his tombstone he replied "I told you I was sick"!

So funny and so sad all at once, much like the man really.

It will be a poorer world without him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back