Spinning the magnets - 2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

"Matty Boyd to the backline? He's nuts"
"Naughton a forward? He's a gun interceptor"
"Wood forward? I have my doubts"
"Bailey Dale to the backline? Could it work?"
"JJ as a defensive forward? He's lost it this time"

We all know Bevo does like to see how players react in different positions. Going into 2022, who gets thrown around again, at least on an experimental basis?

I've got one that needs to be at least tried from time to time - Roarke Smith to play Duryea's role. Excellent overhead for his size and he was rookied originally as a defender, we have no small defensive cover to actually lockdown an opponent if Duryea cops an injury.

Who else gets thrown into the Bevo's "crazy-ometer" and is trialled in a different role next year?

Bevo's "crazy-ometer" failed to read a basic shift in tactics during the 3rd quarter.

1632698485851.png

But anyway,

Bruce to FB
Naughton to ruck
Bont to CHB
Keath to FF

"Matty Boyd to the backline? He's nuts"
"Naughton a forward? He's a gun interceptor"
"Wood forward? I have my doubts"
"Bailey Dale to the backline? Could it work?"
"JJ as a defensive forward? He's lost it this time"

We all know Bevo does like to see how players react in different positions. Going into 2022, who gets thrown around again, at least on an experimental basis?

I've got one that needs to be at least tried from time to time - Roarke Smith to play Duryea's role. Excellent overhead for his size and he was rookied originally as a defender, we have no small defensive cover to actually lockdown an opponent if Duryea cops an injury.

Who else gets thrown into the Bevo's "crazy-ometer" and is trialled in a different role next year?

Yeah I could see Roake back, we've tried it before.
At this point tho unless it's a need we can't just keep swinging players around from position to position and hoping for the best, right now we have a few guys on the list who just can't settle
Schache, Young, Scott & JJ, these guys have been thrown around everywhere this season and honestly it's unfair on them, hard to learn a spot when you don't know where your playing next week, I would like to see less-crazy Bevo and more ''play players in their traditional roles'' Bevo next year.

Yes I like the idea of Naughton getting some midfield time, ruck or ruck rover.
He is a powerful unit with a leap and courage. He would be a tough matchup.
At time I feel he is wasted at full forward although he has been great at times.
Maybe stays a forward with 5-10 mins on ball per qtr.

Who knows?

KM

English to CHB
Would he have the acceleration? I guess if you're smart enough you can get away with cutting the angles like Sam Collins at the Suns (and to a lesser extent, Premiership Full Back Fletcher Roberts)

Slow KPDs that do make it tend to play more FB than CHB... like Roughy. Even McEvoy has played some decent footy as a defender.
That could release Keath higher up the ground and potentially intercept a bit more. It's certainly not the worst suggestion and we know English's field kicking is above-average for a player his size.

Bailey Williams on-ball as the sweeper.

Sweet to be delisted, and train with the defenders to see if it's worth keeping him on as a full back to free up Keath.

If we play JUH as a forward I’d like to see him given stints in the ruck (I like the idea of having 3 players run through the ruck). Or alternatively play JUH at CHB.

Still think Bedendo ends up behind the ball. Good forward but less need long term for a third tall marking forward. That's probably a 2023 move.

Libba will need to find a second position in the next few seasons. With a bit more pace half forward would be nice to get him coming up to the stoppage, but as is it might be a transition to a forward pocket.

English is the one that might be next year depending on what ruck we trade in. Tipping a role in defence getting him to intercept. Will take some creativity with how to rotate him into the ruck. Could be Schache starts forward and flips to defence whenever English is rucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will never forget Easton Wood's efforts as a forward in round 1 and 2 of 2018 nightmare stuff

Decision making and disposal might be a worry but Hannan as a defender or tagger. Got a good mix of speed and strength for it to be an option... Maybe...i dunno

Naughton to defence.

Gardner/Duryea - Naughton - Williams
Daniel - Keath - Dale

Right there, probably the best defence in the AFL in terms of both defending and rebounding.

Fix the forward line some other way. Can start off by playing natural forwards.

Caleb to mid - put the best ball-user on the ball

Naughton back as interceptor and to add aggression. Neither Keath nor Gardner can do it and Wood is gone.

Bont to play half fwd/mid.

Vandermeer to back pocket with a view to replacing Daniel/Dureya

Sweet to full time ruck

Richards to half back

Dale to wing

Lachie Hunter behind the ball playing half back? Have seen it during games here and there, and not sure I like him delivering inside 50. But he does seem to have good decision making skills so could be good back there. Opens a wing spot for our plethora of midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back